It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"10,000 Homes Threatened in Los Angeles Fires"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The Link

The unstoppable Angeles National Forest fire threatened 10,000 homes Saturday night as it more than tripled in size and chewed through a rapidly widening swath of the Crescenta Valley, where flames closed in on backyards and at least 1,000 homes were ordered evacuated.

Tripled in size? 10,000 homes threatened? Yikes.

This is one to keep an eye on as it looks like it is going to get worse before it gets better. I'll be sending good vibrations to all those in Cali who are in the eventual wake of this fire.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   

You have a private message, Mod Note: You Have An Urgent U2U- Click Here.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Feeling a bit bigoted? How about off topic?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
My only response to this news story: Again?

This happens every year. My personal belief is due to budget cuts, public lands are not being maintained like they used to (back burns, cutting, etc.) and the fires that plague that area every year are just getting worse.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

actually the severity of this fire is due to land that has NOT burned in 60 years.

the very common occurrence of severe fires today is a direct result of 100 years of fire SUPPRESSION.

humans naturally thinking wild fires = bad because they threaten what we have built means we should put them out. (ie smoky the bear's cute ba-dunk-a-dunk)

unfortunately the result of this is fires whose severity do untold damage to both ecological AND human systems, which allowing for natural fire patterns would be MUCH less severe.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19d775ad5993.jpg[/atsimg]

When you see something like this hurdling its way towards your family it is one of tyhe most frightning things imaginable. Even if you have your emergency bag together there are always things that you just go blank on in the moment.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
When you live in a safe community whether at the foothills of the Alps or like millions of people in California there is risk, but when you see something like this in the distance headed your way you realize the vulnerability of the world in which we live.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/58096523a065.jpg[/atsimg]

I can only pray for the safety of the people of California and for the members here that are in harms way at this time.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TYLomon

You must be pretty young, because as a Native I cannot ever recall growing up and having the amount of fires raging we have seen since the first Clinton Administration.

There IS a conspiracy afoot here, trust me on that.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
www.latimes.com...

Take a look at this google inactive map of the region, I get so damn mad when ignorance takes control of this forum, disrespect for the people in danger from a natural disaster!

What kind of desensitivity are we talking here? Not untill it affects "YOU" personally will you grow up!

Where on Gods green earth would you have theses people live?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Interesting. Since I lived in California during the 60s to 90s.

This story pops up every time they had a dry spell. I am not trying to belittle what they are going through there. It is scary.

Now, with regards to the brush that hasn't been burned in 60 years. I am guessing I didn't fully explain why this is related.

Every year, more homes are being built in previously undeveloped areas. These areas are not being maintained outside the individual homes personal property.

This event happened in 91 during the Oakland Hills fires. Santa Barbara in 2007, 2008, 2009 - ugh, more years then I can count there. San Diego gets hit a lot too.

Here is a map showing fire history in the area (well, a bit north): here - this is just an example area.

I still hold to my previous argument about budget cuts. What exactly happened in LA earlier this month?
* L.A. Fire Stations To Close On Rotating Basis - 2009
* Fire Department Services Cut to Meet Budget Crisis - 1991

What happens when fire departments don't have the budget to do controlled burns? It's simple - they don't. The firemen are purely in a reactionary position instead of preventative work.

This isn't going just limited to California. The budget cuts are hitting the nation - and I am seeing a lot of preventative maintenace not being done that has the potentional to flare up just like the LA.

Edit: Spelling

[edit on 2009/8/30 by TLomon]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Can you imagine the upper resperatory problems people are going to have after this? Compound it with the flu season right around the corner which is affecting the lungs . The young man in this video talks about the last fires and how it affected him, now he is facing another fire just as dangerous if not more to his health.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
www.energy.ca.gov...

Check out these projections from the mid 60's to the year 2085, pertty scary scenarios for the residents of California.

There has been an increase of at least 69 % since the mid seventies up till now and the projection tops off at around 169%.

I say yes the fires have been happening over the years but the severity of them has changed and will continue as many factors not present before are now part of the big picture.

My question is how much of this is done by developers to bring more area to the table for more homes and businesses to be built to accomodate larger growth?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If this was near my home I would be stocking up with gas and making sure the fire has a trench meant for my home.

Bye bye house that is worth what I owe. With all the foreclosures going on down there I would not be surprised if we see more fires like this that are probably made on purpose to burn down there homes.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
If this was near my home I would be stocking up with gas and making sure the fire has a trench meant for my home.

Bye bye house that is worth what I owe. With all the foreclosures going on down there I would not be surprised if we see more fires like this that are probably made on purpose to burn down there homes.

its funny you say that. i herd form someone else down your way that there were 'many fires' that turned into this massive one. he hinted that it appeared they had been 'set'.

there is no credible source for this, just the rantings of a semi-reliable source.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
To update this is now taking a bad turn for the area,

Mount Wilson is a critical communications point that houses most of the television, radio and other towers that service LA

AUBURN FIRE: Up to 50 homes and businesses destroyed as massive blaze continues to tear through northern subdivision ...

BREAKING: A 500-acre wildfire burning in a heavily-populated part of Placer County has destroyed homes and business ...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
www.astro.ucla.edu...

TowerCam on Mt Wilson shows live feed of fires.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This is like . . . every year?

Maybe they need to do more burns during the wetter seasons.

If they're not having fires, it's mudslides.

top topics

join