It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyber suicide pacts.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The internet has certainly become a powerful tool in both good ways and bad.

Social networking has brought people together from all over the globe. We can meet people with the same interests as ourselves, and friendships are struck up on a daily basis.

But this has also given rise to another type of "friendship"---that of the suicide pact kind

There has been a growing trend, certainly among young people, to form a pact with a like minded person or persons, and end their lives together.

The internet has now become the place, the driving force, to unite people with suicidal tendencies. It is a dangerous tool on this particular issue.

The problem originally arose in Japan, but seems to be spreading. almost like a virus.
With the world the way it is, more and more souls are becoming disillusioned with life and may well be attracted to the notion of ending their life and the misery with someone else who feels the same.

My question is----if you were contemplating suicide, would you consider one of these suicide pacts ??
If so--why ??

peace

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

This is one of the few times I agree with MSM when they don't report something.

If more people knew about it, then they might try something like that.

Personally, I get up every morning thanking god/the gods/budda/marshmallow giants that I have my kids and my wife.

There isn't anything that is that bad that I would consider it.

Suicide, long-term solution to a short-term problem.

Just my humble opinion. . . .

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is a really interesting subject, and not one that gets talked about that often. S&F.

Could it be that things have gotten so bad for these people that that have said 'yes, this is a conscious decision, I want to die', but then they get the fear about it, or don't want to die alone, so they seek out someone to hold their hand though it and be there at the same time? And if there're others out there who feel the same, it's just a mutual feeling.

But if I were contemplating suicide, I'm not sure, it might seem like an attractive prospect, because it's a choice between dying alone, or with someone else who feels the same, and I'd imagine the emotions going on at the last few moments would be wildly intense, so to die with those emotions would seem almost euphoric. You may even end up in love with the person you're dying with, because of that fact. Sort of like Romeo and Juliet.

What do you think, uk today? How would you look at it?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by purehughness

How would I look at it ??

Well to be completely honest, if I was contemplating suicide, I would probably give a lot of thought to the idea of a pact.

Like you say, dying alone would be extremely scary and like everything in life things are better shared with someone else.
And if that's suicide, then so be it.

and your Romeo and Juliet take on it is very interesting ---I suppose you would form a very deep and special bond with your suicide partner.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
the internet's weirdness is always expanding like the universe

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

It just figures really doesn't it? As dangerous and odd as it may be, it seems a pretty logical reason for suicide pacts to have come to be on the net.

What I'd be interested in knowing is why it started in Japan?

Actually, just found this:
Internet Suicide

[edit on 30/8/2009 by purehughness]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It's a potentially difficult thing here and please don't overreact to what I'm saying, it's founded in my personal experience and is only my opinion...

I've had a couple of friends that have commited suicide and long-term depression suffers from me - the modern world can be a grotesque horrid place, that people can find unbearable - if they choose to opt out of this then why not? Life is precious and can be an amazing gift, some people though, just aren't meant for this world, don't have the facilities to cope with it and will choose to self-euthanize.

I'd actually state though that I don't think internet suicide pacts are "correct" or ok, but that's just my opinion...

It's an intensely personal experience though and different people have different motives and reasons and the internet is simply a tool and not some big evil.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I have seen how much the world has changed in my lifetime. It never gets easier, only gets more crazy and complicated. For gentle souls, for those that feel and think deeply, it is more difficult. It saddens me deeply to see this kind of thing going on.

We have gone from pristine waters and breath-takingly beautiful areas, to concrete, tall buildings, billions of people living in a fast-paced society, and kids sitting behind computers instead of being out in nature and truly living their lives. They see the conflict and chaos of the world today and things getting worse instead of any better. Sadly, they lose their hope.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Doesn't make sense to me.
If they can reach out to another depressed person to form a suicide pact, are they really suicidal or just depressed and trying to reach out for help?
A suicidal person who's reached the end of their rope(no pun intended) would hardly need help or encouragement.
Members of these suicide pacts probably have a chance at recovery if they still feel the need for human contact and a kind ear.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I have a life long friend that shared life with me.

When we got old enough to party we partied hard and fast.

We raised our children together.

We are getting old now and have talked about going out in a blaze of glory.

She wants to drive across country raising Cain and then finally drive off a cliff.

I said sure we can do that. NOT. I'm jumping out of the car before it goes over.

I may have problems but I love life and thank God for everyday I wake up.

So, suicide is not an option for me.

One exception: If I become useless and a burden to my family I may stop eating and allow my body to stop working.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Petchy29
Doesn't make sense to me.
If they can reach out to another depressed person to form a suicide pact, are they really suicidal or just depressed and trying to reach out for help?
A suicidal person who's reached the end of their rope(no pun intended) would hardly need help or encouragement.
Members of these suicide pacts probably have a chance at recovery if they still feel the need for human contact and a kind ear.

I would say that if someone has made the decision to end their life, and is totally commited to it, but has'nt quite got the nerve to follow it through, then a suicide pact could well seem a plausible option.

So yes, they are reaching out for help, but maybe its just help in carrying out what they desire---an end to the Hell that they must be going through to consider suicide in the first place.

The act of killing yourself must be the hardest thing imaginable.
Just knowing that this is the end.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Hey there.
Glad to hear that suicide is'nt something you would consider---but your friend obviously feels differently on this.

So in a way, by driving off a cliff after a final swansong, if you had been in agreement a pact would have been reached.

Now please don't hold this against me, but if I was at the end of my tether and wanted out, i think in my case I would probably join your friend

Go out " Thelma and Louise" style after raising cain !!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
I have seen how much the world has changed in my lifetime. It never gets easier, only gets more crazy and complicated. For gentle souls, for those that feel and think deeply, it is more difficult. It saddens me deeply to see this kind of thing going on.

We have gone from pristine waters and breath-takingly beautiful areas, to concrete, tall buildings, billions of people living in a fast-paced society, and kids sitting behind computers instead of being out in nature and truly living their lives. They see the conflict and chaos of the world today and things getting worse instead of any better. Sadly, they lose their hope.

The world certainly has changed, and not for the better.

All hope for a happy, secure, peaceful future has been stripped away from our children, and its all down to the pursuit of money and profit.
It saddens me as well.

No wonder these suicide sites are attracting attention. I think the number of suicide cases will increase on a yearly basis as the bleak future we are creating unfolds.

But we have to face the fact that we are all now dependent and also in a lot of cases, myself included, addicted to online activities and social networking.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I'm also guessing that people are having trouble forging meaningful relationships in real life, the nature of human relationships is becoming more commodified and less real - I think people are becoming more lonely.

This seems to be a common theme with myself, but I'm largely blaming the media, we're getting pushed towards a society of consumerism and we're seemingly validified by what we own/wear etc.

I just feel like I'm living in an Orwellian nightmare, humanity is just a bad joke, beyond redemption and it's the turn for something else on this planet - thing is I've got a great network of real-life friends, that are a good source of support - I don't often talk about the futility of life with them, it's far too mundane AND there are plenty of other things to talk about - there's a lot of common interests etc...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

I wish I could give you a bazillion stars for that. It goes on in front of people's faces every damn day and only 0.01% of people pick up on it.

How can this be? It's absolutely horrible. Trouble is, I hope the one's who are waking up to this reality aren't getting horribly depressed by it and contemplating suicide....

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Thanks - I think more people realise the problem, but it seems insurmountable and too much to challenge, we all know our leaders are corrupt, liars, thieves, murderers and probably worse. Maybe the day I choose to "off" myself I'll try to take some with me

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
I'm also guessing that people are having trouble forging meaningful relationships in real life, the nature of human relationships is becoming more commodified and less real - I think people are becoming more lonely.

This seems to be a common theme with myself, but I'm largely blaming the media, we're getting pushed towards a society of consumerism and we're seemingly validified by what we own/wear etc.

I just feel like I'm living in an Orwellian nightmare, humanity is just a bad joke, beyond redemption and it's the turn for something else on this planet - thing is I've got a great network of real-life friends, that are a good source of support - I don't often talk about the futility of life with them, it's far too mundane AND there are plenty of other things to talk about - there's a lot of common interests etc...

I agree--there are a lot of lonely people out there, and society has moved away from lifes true values towards ,as you say, a society based on image and possessions.

IMHO, its capitalism that is the root cause of the increased suicides.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei

Thanks - I think more people realise the problem, but it seems insurmountable and too much to challenge, we all know our leaders are corrupt, liars, thieves, murderers and probably worse. Maybe the day I choose to "off" myself I'll try to take some with me

Count me in-----do we have a pact ??

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

This is one of the few times I agree with MSM when they don't report something.

If more people knew about it, then they might try something like that.

Personally, I get up every morning thanking god/the gods/budda/marshmallow giants that I have my kids and my wife.

There isn't anything that is that bad that I would consider it.

Suicide, long-term solution to a short-term problem.

Just my humble opinion. . . .

I have given this matter a lot of thought, and have decided that if anything really bad happened i.e WW3 or Global catastrophe, then I probably would take the exit option.

Would I make a pact ??
Yes probably I would, if the opportunity was there.

I believe strongly in quality of life, and if that is taken away then suicide would be my preferred choice.
But we are all different--and I'm glad you take the viewpoint you do.

You are right and I am wrong---but its just ME, who I am.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is a dangerous topic to discuss on ATS. While I feel that suicide is someones personal decision, I would say that even jokingly making a pact on ATS would probably attract some very unwanted attention to the site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join