It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vasectomy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

My dad had a vasectomy just after the birth of my brother, back in the late 70s. I've never heard him complain of any complications. The anesthesiologist almost killed him though. My dad was 6' 4" but was extremely skinny. They gave him too much of whatever they use to put you under.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
My husband had a vasectomy done when I was 7 months pregnant with our 4th child. Just some minor pain & he was back to work in 2 or 3 days. Make your appointment on a Thursday and take a 3 day weekend. My husband used ice and some pain meds the dr. gave him. I waited on him hand & foot for those 3 days he was home so he didn't have to move much. I wish you luck & you should be fine. Let us know how you do. oh & btw, he thought the procedure was interesting because he got to watch it on a monitor .

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It is an office procedure now. You get a local and snip snip.

Go to the grocery store and get about a half dozen bags of frozen baby peas. After you get back immediately go to the freezer and pull out two bags of frozen peas. Slam them together and the peas will all separate. Much more comfortable to ice down with than ice cubes.

Good luck.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
My husband was snipped too. You'll be fine. Get a bag of frozen peas for swelling.
Don't have sex for a week... trust me on that one.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by JJay55]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Ask the doctor pointedly about -

- the risks of impotence
- testosterone loss
- sex drive lessening

My ex-husband had a vasectomy done years ago, and now, no sex drive. According to the doc, a test one year ago showed his testosterone - for 35 yr. old man, was 135.
the number should be about 750 - 850., according to the same doctor.

Granted, this could be coincidence between vasectomy and tes. loss, but I'd check it out thoroughly first, and then check it out again.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have had the tubal ligation.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Note on the testosterone level of men at age 35... they go through a drop in hormones arround age 35 and that's normal. Their peak is 17... and it slows. Also job stress usually increases around that age.
Vasctomies are way safer than what a woman has to do to become sterilized... unless it's done during a C-section... but that's way risky too.
A healthy male should have no problems with the procedure.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I have a family member that had one years back, had some minor

swelling, but thats about all, was back to work in a few days, never

had any complications......its a pretty simple surgery, imo, im a nurse.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
My best friend had the big V a few years back. Like an idiot, he drove his truck the next day, dsepite drs orders. They swelled up like grapefruits (his words, mot mine) and hurt like hell for another week. Its a common procedure and you should be safe, but for Pete's sake. Another friend turned in to a complete wuss after his. His wife ran his life after that. How long you been married? How many kids do you have? If too many questions, let me know. You gotta think hard about it...for sure. Psychological more than physical.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I don't know of anyone with problems.

Mine was straightforward enough . . . outpatient at Planned Parenthood. Sigh. Would likely not fraternize their place again for political moral reasons but the price was right.

One tube on one side was pulled a big extra hard maybe to get enough purchase to tie the not well . . . and that side was a big sorer and sore longer than the other side.

NO other complications. After stitches healed--great.

I did make certain, however, that there were no sperm swimming around in the post op sample. I insisted on looking in the microscope myself.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I had mine done at 19, which is several decades ago.

No problems what-so-ever.

It was much easier to pick up chicks, I used the line, "when I was in Vegas recovering from my vasectomy,..." worked every time

I also used, "sex with me won't leave you with any nasty side effects."

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

All I know about vasectomies is you better be sure.
My best friend was with a woman for years - she wanted no kids - ever.
So he got cut.
She left him - almost immediately and married another guy, now has three kids.
No revenge bit on her part or master design to destroy his life - it’s just one of those things.

He on the other hand lost his impotency with women.
All purely psychological.
He’s no problem performing solo - if you know what I mean, but, stick a life woman in front of him - he feels castrated - and goes noodle.

Sorry, you asked.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
I need knowledgeable advice about vasectomies. I have an appt scheduled for the procedure but I have read up about vasectomies and there are reports of complications. Chronic pain, loss of sensation, even impotence. Yet the nurse I talked too never heard of any complications. If it's so safe, why are their problems?

I need advice before I go thru with this. I am nervous about it.

I wouldn't do it. My buddy got it done, and got a MRSA or whatever it is called, a staff infection of some sort. They had to go back in and it was horrible.

Screw that.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I had mine done 14 years ago. Judging from my experience and the experience of others I heard, here's the best advice I can give you: don't be afraid (there really is nothing at all to fear), and you have to want to do it.

I did; I had 2 kids with 2 different women. Didn't want another night of thinking with my little head to cause me more trouble. I didn't even notice when the numbness went away. Never fealt a thing. Didn't need the ice nor the Tylenols. Toughest part was (doctor's orders) waiting 4 days to try it out. For the first month, go at it a bit lightly; you can still have great sex, but just take a little bit easier. After that, you'll never notice the difference.

I've known guys going in because their wife forced them to do it. They didn't want to do it. They were in pain for weeks. Didn't have sex for over a month...

I personally believe it's all in the head. If you don't want it or think it will hurt; it will. If you want it and it doesn't worry you, you won't feel a thing.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

All I know about vasectomies is you better be sure.
My best friend was with a woman for years - she wanted no kids - ever.
So he got cut.
She left him - almost immediately and married another guy, now has three kids.
No revenge bit on her part or master design to destroy his life - it’s just one of those things.

He on the other hand lost his impotency with women.
All purely psychological.
He’s no problem performing solo - if you know what I mean, but, stick a life woman in front of him - he feels castrated - and goes noodle.

Sorry, you asked.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by silo13]

Sounds like the guy has other problems besides lack of swimmers.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Hey I had one a couple of months ago and so far so good. The worst part aside from wielding a sharp razor blade around the twig and berries was the Novocaine shot to the area in question. Then of course there is the discomfort related to the hair growing back.

Several of my buddies have had them as well. All is well with them too. We all used the same Urology practice.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
I had it done.

1) Hope your doctor has a skilled hand.

2) Use lots of ice afterwards (24hrs).

Results: Both me and my wife love it.

I agree with here...the only thing I will add is make sure the doc gets you totally numb before cutting on you... OUCH!!!! After that, recovery was a breeze (thank you, Percocet!)....and the ice is the best thing ever for a few days!

My wife and I have 3 children, and we decided that was plenty. It's great not having to worry about birth control anymore!

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
No issues whatsoever

I had mine going on about 14+ yrs. ago now, just after the our last of three children was born. Two girls and a boy, we were done.

Drove myself to the Dr's. office on a Saturday morning and was in and out in about 45 mins. Shaved. Numbed. Snipped. Done.

By the time I got home Jeanie had a bag of ice and a case of beer waiting for me.
She even took the kids on a brief overnighter to visit family.

I worked construction at the time (masonry) and was back to work on Monday with nary a pain nor any sort of swelling.

No loss of sensation, libido or anything else since, for that matter.

It just seemed a no-brainer for me to have it done, as it's a much less invasive procedure and costs but a fraction of her having undergone the female equivalent.

Best of luck with yours if you decide to go through with it.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
No problems at all for me - 17 years and counting - and was fully back in the game within 7 days. First 2 or 3 days were a little crisp, though.

As I was coming out of the anesthetic, my urologist who performed the procedure (a friend), was leaning over me and said, "Real men jog home".

[edit on 31-8-2009 by leo123]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Gotta love the sense of humor of a Urologist or a Proctologist.

I should add a good bit of advice from my doctor to wear a jock strap for a couple of days after the surgery. That helped a great deal. I was also able to tuck some smaller ice packs into the cup pocket to keep the swelling at bay. I was able to walk around with ice on my boys. That was nice.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Get a zip lock baggy and put two cups water and one cup of rubbing alcohol inside, zip it closed and toss it in the freezer. It won't freeze solid, it will be more like a slushy you can bend or curve to any shape you like.

After three kids, two girls and a boy I had the procedure and that's been almost 25 years ago. Not a single problem since. I consider it one of the best things I've done. I'll never have to worry about surprises again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join