It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi journalist who hurled shoe at Bush gets early release for good behaviour

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Iraqi journalist who hurled shoe at Bush gets early release for good behaviour Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk

Muntadhar al-Zeidi’s act during Bush’s last visit to Iraq as President turned the 30-year-old reporter into a folk hero across the Arab world, amid growing anger at the 2003 invasion.
He has been in custody since the outburst on December 14 last year during a Bush news conference.
The President was forced to duck for cover as the journalist shouted in Arabic:
‘This is your farewell kiss, you dog!
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-8-2009 by LostNemesis]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I think that everyone can remember and appreciate the video of Bush ducking for his life. I didn't think the prez could move like that!

Still though, this news brought back the memories of the video, when the shoe incident happened.

I think it is obvious, Bush was not very good at taking a hint -- Not even such a blatant one. That said, I am glad this reporter is being released. I think he made so many people laugh and be happy, that he shouldn't have been imprisoned at all.

www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
...um..as much as i'd like to bash bush he dodged the throw with ease.
anyways, good for this guy.
...Who in america, the land of the free, would expect to be out this soon after doing something similiar to obama? Or bush even when he was in office?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I guess its okay to assault our Presidents.

I wonder if anyone throws a bottle or a rock at Obama if they would only serve less then a year in jail?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

I think it is obvious, Bush was not very good at taking a hint -- Not even such a blatant one. That said, I am glad this reporter is being released.

It's things like this which disheartens me.

I'm sure this thread will grow, and most will be hate talk, of he should've got a hit on that lil whatever.

But honestly, hurling a shoe, was the greatest disrespect, although he stood for what he did, he meant physical harm, to a leader of a country.

Although our country, disliked the president, since, well mainly many I presume don't know why but, it makes them feel like their part of the crowd, and such an easy target to make them feel like a smart person.

Imagine if Putin came over here, and I don't know, someone hurled two shoes at him, with the fierce intent of hitting him.

What about that?

What would happen if a Pakistani, hurled shoes at Obama.

I would say it'd be close to people claiming we should go to war!

I think that everyone can remember and appreciate the video of Bush ducking for his life

I think that you are wrong. I don't appreciate the leader of my country being desecrated by another country, although their are troubles, I wish it not.

I don't approve of Obama, but if I saw someone physically attacking him, I wouldn't go around laughing and saying 'how funny is this, you've insulted the leader of my country, as well as me. This is just grand, my only wish is that you would of severely hurt him!'.

It's a double sword.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
it can be inferred that our occupation led to this man being able to do such a thing, and have all his limbs still attached. But that's just my 2 cents. It'd be impossible in the internets for someone to disagree with me very passionately. Whatever it's a free country/ internet.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Imagine if Putin came over here, and I don't know, someone hurled two shoes at him, with the fierce intent of hitting him.

But Russia is not occupying America.

Nor did Russia kill over a million Americans.

Imagine that.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
It was part of a larger terrorist plot. Here a US serviceman broke up a shoe ring. They were stockpiling shoes for a massive attack.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/938cf1a99de4.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Dear LostNemesis

Imprisoned, Imprisoned, Muntadhar al-Zeidi’s is a hero, in this century so far there have only been two terrorists worth mentioning Bush, and Blair his English flunky.

Muntadhar al-Zeidi’s this man deserves the Nobel prize for peace, and the other two deserve there place in Hell.

Just incase you are wondering I am English with a white skin tone and I think it’s about time that the western world woke up to these sons of Hell.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis

I think that everyone can remember and appreciate the video of Bush ducking for his life. I didn't think the prez could move like that!

Still though, this news brought back the memories of the video, when the shoe incident happened.

I think it is obvious, Bush was not very good at taking a hint -- Not even such a blatant one. That said, I am glad this reporter is being released. I think he made so many people laugh and be happy, that he shouldn't have been imprisoned at all.

www.dailymail.co.uk

Absolutely correct! I never laughed so hard in my whole life as I did watching that video clip!
I will tell my grandkids about that shoe tossing event and how powerful it was.
It was like karma running through that reporters arm.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Wormwood Squirm]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Wormwood Squirm

Thank you for your comment! It really made me laugh. I agree with you completely.

Funny you bring up karma.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

But Russia is not occupying America.

Nor did Russia kill over a million Americans.

Imagine that.

Kind of why I also brought up Pakistan, since that was partly an Obama thang. lol

Hypothetically of course.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Just in case someone was under a rock when this happened here is a video:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Lets get something absolutely clear here........

All this Iraqi man did was THROW HIS BLOODY SHOES!!!! That's right folks - his SHOES. Not a knife, not a bomb, not a sword, not a ninja star, not a dwarf......no none of them.......he threw his SHOES!!

Let's not forget that Bush was in THEIR COUNTRY and as I understand it it is an Iraqi custom to THROW YOUR SHOES at someone or something that disgusts you - it is their sign of disrespect for their target. Now Bush was there yelling out loud about how the Iraqi people wanted them there, how America has done so much good for Iraq and FINALLY someone had the balls to stand up and say NO MORE. In the quick swing of 2 shoes that man summed up the thoughts and feelings of his entire country - that America screwed up more than they fixed, that they are not wanted there any more, that they don't want American 'democracy' and STOP LYING.

How on EARTH does that deserve being dragged out back and severely beaten then being throw in jail for an indeterminate amount of time - and for what? Standing up for what he believed and performing a customary gesture designed to show the other person that what they are doing is wrong. So what does Bush do? Totally ignore the fact that he is in THEIR COUNTRY, totally ignored THEIR CUSTOMS and acted in such a manner that outraged the Iraqi people even more than they had been before this absolutely terrible, life-threatening, world-shattering shoe throwing incident (note the sarcasm dripping off that last bit).

So, to those who are defending Bushes actions here, or saying that he was in some form of danger - WAKE UP IT WAS A PAIR OF BLOODY SHOES.

[edit on 30/8/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

The true evil is those in power behind the curtains. The ones who control and decide everything in private. Bush and his kind are controlled by these types...

Sad but true.

Still, anyone who has the balls to make such a statement to the world, while his home country is being invaded, has my respect. Luckily this man was not executed, like might happen to any of us, if we tried making a similar statement.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I appreciate your passion but...
Nobody on this thread said anything even remotely similar to what you just ranted about.

I did however find your post a bit contradictory though.

On one hand you said that in their culture throwing their shoe at somebody is an insult of the highest level.

Wrong! It's slapping them with the soles of their shoes.

Second. You then yell in all caps for people to get over it that it's just throwing a shoe.

So which is it?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Kryties

I appreciate your passion but...
Nobody on this thread said anything even remotely similar to what you just ranted about.

Originally posted by jd140
I guess its okay to assault our Presidents.

I wonder if anyone throws a bottle or a rock at Obama if they would only serve less then a year in jail?

although he stood for what he did, he meant physical harm, to a leader of a country.

I think that you are wrong. I don't appreciate the leader of my country being desecrated by another country, although their are troubles, I wish it not.

I don't approve of Obama, but if I saw someone physically attacking him, I wouldn't go around laughing and saying 'how funny is this, you've insulted the leader of my country, as well as me. This is just grand, my only wish is that you would of severely hurt him!'.

All of these are very wrong. I was trying to point out that no physical harm (more than maybe a small red mark - hardly a jailable offense) and that the throwing of shoes was simply a CUSTOMARY GESTURE to indicate extreme displeasure.

I did however find your post a bit contradictory though.

On one hand you said that in their culture throwing their shoe at somebody is an insult of the highest level.

Wrong! It's slapping them with the soles of their shoes.

Second. You then yell in all caps for people to get over it that it's just throwing a shoe.

So which is it?

Insult yes, physical harm no. There is a BIG difference and I don't understand what is so hard to grasp about that.

I also indicated that I was unsure of the exact custom where I clearly said "As I understand it......"

Again, the point I am tryng to make is that the whole incident, in the mind of the Iraqi man at the time, was to perform a gesture of disrespect NOT to physically harm precious widdle Bush. The only thing that was harmed was his overly-inflated ego and that's hardly an offense deserving of a severe beating and jail - I don't care what planet you were born on.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Dear LostNemesis

From LostNemesis “The true evil is those in power behind the curtains. The ones who control and decide everything in private. Bush and his kind are controlled by these types...”

This is so true but you can’t shoot the ghosts, the hidden ones but you can get the puppets. Sorry but it just gets me so riled when you can see people just not understanding the real situation. One should never promote violence but we the people who understand have a duty to at least try to make them understand what there vote is going to project.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I'm going to assume that you meant to say he didn't intend to physically harm a leader of a country.

Let me throw a shoe at you. If by the off chance I hit you in the face and break your nose, remember I was just insulting you. I didn't intend to cause you physical harm.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by Kryties

If by the off chance I hit you in the face and break your nose, remember I was just insulting you. I didn't intend to cause you physical harm.

But it did not and was not. It did not hit Bush and it was not intended to break his nose.

Using your example you have just thrown a shoe at me and I ducked out of the way, no harm done to me. Now do you now deserve to be dragged out back and be severely beaten by multiple uniformed people then dragged off to prison to stay there for an indefinate amount of time. Do you think you deserve this?

I thought not.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join