It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any Sex Pistols, Clash, SLF, Ramones or Sham 69 fans around?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
There's very little Sex Pistols or Clash in these music threads - so I started this thread for old Punk! - A musical time document!

It doesn't have to be the one of the bigger "famous" bands! so feel free to post any videos from your favourite "Punk Era Group" - or more unknown bands etc.

I have enjoyed the sound of Sex Pistols since my older sister took me to see them live when I was twelve in 1977

That totally changed my world!

Steve Jones guitar sound on the album: Never Mind The Bollocks was soo fat - It was like a panzer-division wall of thick Gibson Les Paul sound, marching over me! - I was hooked! - it made me pick up a guitar and learn how to play.

So I am wondering if there's any Pistols or "Punk" fans here in the house? - what's your favourite song.

Since then I have seen the Pistols live 4 times and I think the old geezers still rock!

I've also seen The Clash, SLF, Ramones live and they were great as well!

I found some interesting videos with Camp Freddy with guests playing Pistols songs at the Roxy's - and the guests use to be different people from TV & the music scene - Mark McGrath, Andy Taylor, Slash & others.

But in these videos the guests are Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) and Naveen Andrews (TV-serie LOST's Sayid)

Cool to see that "Sayid" is such a Pistols fan and a rocker!

EMI:

"Holidays in the sun":
Steve Jones, Naveen Andrews & Billy Morrison - Bass player for the Cult.

Naveen Andrews & Steve Jones playing "Johnny Thunders" "Born To Lose" with Camp Freddy from the Roxy on Dec.23 2008

"Bodies":
Sex Pistols Cook'n'Jones - Duff McKagan + Camp Freddy

The Roxy ~ Los Angeles

performed by.......
Dave Navarro guitar (RedHotChiliPeppers, Jane's Addiction),
Chris Chaney bass (Jane's Addiction)
Steve Jones Lead Vocals & Guitar (Sex Pistols)
Paul Cook Drums (Sex Pistols)
Duff McKagan bass (Guns N Roses / Velvet Revolver),
Matt Sorum background vocals (Guns N Roses / Velvet Revolver),
Mark McGrath background vocals (Sugar Ray)
Billy Morrison guitar (Circus Diablo, The Cult)

"Pretty Vacant"
Camp Freddy + Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols-Bass) & "Tiffany"
(teen popstar singer from the 80's with "I Think We're Alone Now" + "Could've Been")

And some real Sex Pistols - No Feelings Live:

Sex Pistols - Bodies - Live

Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant Live - Letterman

Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK Live

And some "Sham 69" - Hurry up Harry!

Sham 69 - If the Kids are United

Sham 69 - Rip Off

Sham 69 - The cockney kids are innocent

Sham 69 - No Entry

Sham 69 - Hersham Boys - Borstal Breakout

Sham 69 - Unite And Win

Sham 69 - Questions And Answers

Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - Chinese Rocks

The Damned - Smash It Up

The Damned - Love Song - New Rose - I Just Can't Be Happy

The Clash - I fought the Law

The Clash - Protex Blue

The Clash - Garageland

The Clash - Safe European Home

The Clash - London Calling

The Clash - English Civil War

The Clash - Guns of Brixton

Stiff Little Fingers - Gotta gettaway! - 1979/80

Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster

Stiff Little Fingers - Tin Soldiers

Stiff Little Fingers - Fly The Flag - 1988

The Ramones - Sheena Is A Punk Rocker

The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop

Ramones - The KKK took my baby away

California Sun

The Ramones - I wanna be sedated

I still like the raw energy & sound and clever lyrics! - but I get a little bit of headache if I listen too much of it though, like right now!

Damn! I'm getting old! - now I need something softer for my ears - *where did I hide those ABBA or Julio Iglesias records again!*

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
out of all mentioned i think i like the clash the best. i do like anarchy in the uk by the pistols. overall though punk just don't do it for me. i tend to lean more towards bands with good musicianship and in my personal opinion punk just don't have it.
i'm not saying it's like that across the board but mostly. have to give it to them for their raw power though.
honerable mention to iggy and the stooges

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm not a big Ramones fan, but I like a bit of their stuff. And I loved the Rock 'N' Roll High School movie.

And that Ramones Raw dvd was pretty cool. Saw that on TV a few times.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish
out of all mentioned i think i like the clash the best. i do like anarchy in the uk by the pistols. overall though punk just don't do it for me. i tend to lean more towards bands with good musicianship and in my personal opinion punk just don't have it.
i'm not saying it's like that across the board but mostly. have to give it to them for their raw power though.
honerable mention to iggy and the stooges

Thanks for posting mate!

Yeah I know what you mean! especially now when I'm over 40 and have developed more musical talent & sensibel ears!

But I see it as this, I was around when it happened & exploded and the raw energy & clever lyrics was a kick in the arse/face for us young rebellious kids - finally we got a musical medium to engage ourselves in.

Many of us hadn't touched a musical instrument before, but now we wanted to learn how to play - and we started bands and had small gigs.

It was a perfect way of getting a motivation to learn how to play, because it didn't matter how bad you were and how bad it sounded in our parents garages or basements. We got a group together and learned how to play on the journey whilst having a lot of fun!

The chicks thought we sounded bad as hell too in the beginning - but they liked us for being industrious while the other guys just hanged around and did nothing! but we got better for every month we played.

So yeah! girls came to see us rock in the end as well! - so it was well worth all the practicing

Ahh sweet memories of the youth!

These days I often think back and are thankful to this ERA that got me into playing music and musical instruments - especially guitar & drums -and my musicianship have of course developed a lot since then!

A lot of great artists today started out as Punk type garage bands as well - which I think is cool!

I am also a big fan of Iggy and the stooges.

If you want you can check out Chembreathers "Heavy 80's 90's rock" thread where I listed and posted some video's of groups I also liked when growing up!

Nowadays I listen to all kinds of music - even some Lady Gaga
- I enjoy having a broad spectrum like that!

Cheers!

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
And where the hell is Crass??? They came out early enough to be considered early punk.

I know they are more raw, and underproduced then the other bands. (They also take shots at them in Punk is Dead) But that what makes them awesome. And they make up for this, by sounding even more angry and pissed off then the rest of the bands.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by nick_napalm]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nick_napalm

Thanks for posting the videos!

Yeah Crass is one of the bands from 1977 and I remember that they were quite popular in the early years!

(even if I personally never liked their sound - their lyrics are great)

But they sure had the right angry raw "Punk attitude" and energy!

Well how could I forget the group 999 ?

Spring 1978 we saw the guys in a record store signing records, and the lead singer Nick Cash had the hots for my (then 18 y.o) sister and shamlessly tried to lure my sis and her best friend to a PUB!

They never went though! she didn't want to leave me and my friend out on the street while they were drinking beers! - me and my friend were only 13 y.o at the time - so no public beer drinking for us!

999-Homicide - (this song was one that we used to play with our band!)

999 - Emergancy

999 - I'm Alive

999 - Me and My Desire

And this is how the old geezers look today! - The earlier very thin Nick Cash is now bald & chubby/fat!

999 - "I'm Alive", Rebellion Festival 2008 Blackpool

Although not being pure "Punk" but more "New Wave" from that ERA was:
The Ruts! - they made a few songs I liked at the time in 1978.

The Ruts - Babylons Burning

The Ruts - Something That I Said (another song we shamlessly trashed at rehearsals with our band 79)

Another great band : The UK SUBS!

The U.K. Subs were part of the original punk movement in England that formed in 1976/77, they played a great mix of Punk & Rock - lol!

And the group is still active today, even if they have had a lot of different band members through the years

I saw them play live in the "post-punk-era" 1982 and their performance/concert was great!

UK Subs -Warhead - (This was my favourite song at the time):

UK Subs - Party In Paris (Another favourite song)

U.K. Subs - Tomorrows Girls

UK Subs - C.I.D. (TV 1979)

UK SUBS - Keep on Running ('til you burn) 1981 BBC TV TOTP (Great song! on our repetoar 81 as well)

UK subs- coc aine blues

UK Subs - Stranglehold

UK Subs - New York State Police (Great song! - TV-show Brazil 2001?)

UK SUBS - WARHEAD (from the BBC top of the pops)

Another "Post Punk Era" band was the Anti-Nowhere League! (I never liked them - lol!)

Anti-Nowhere League - Streets Of London (Great classic in "punk" version)

Anti Nowhere League - So What

To be continued!

[edit on 31-8-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Punk and Oi are probably my favourite types of music and I have seen quite a few over the years.

I was at Durham Punk Fest on Saturday and the UK Subs played.
Charlie Harper was fantastic as usual and had the whole place bouncing when playing Warhead.
He was walking round the venue having a few pints and chatting to people both before and after his set.
The man is a true legend still living the life at 65 and proving that Punk's Not Dead!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Ahh man,I was a massive pistols fan when I was a teenager.Never mind the bollox was one of the best albums ever and Steve Jones always had great fat tone with his les Paul.I had at the time all the pistol stuff i could get my hands on from bootleg live recordings to funny radio clips of theres when they were touring states side

steve jones on live radio(heres a weather forcast for you,its fkn pissing it down out side)lol
or his classic bill grundy coments!you dirty old man!lol

Still one of the best bands ever to grace this planet,they might not have had the musical chops but boy could they belt out classic tunes and covers when needed

Rock n Roll swindle is a film I must have watched about 30 times,as I idolised good old Sidney at that time and dressed the same(minus the nazi tshirts)

Never liked the clash,they were not rock enough for me with the guitars lacking that classic marshall stack and gibson sound

Used to like other punk bands like the Exploited,UK subs,The Conflict and Peter and the test tube babies(they were a fun band!)All my mates were into GNR at that time and i couldnt get into those hairspray bands

but anyway Steve Jones rocks,I learnt every pistol song on guitar and in fact I learnt power chords to No Feeelings.Long live the pistols

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Cheers! nice seeing you mates! I thought I was alone here for a while!

Is Charlie Harper 65
amazing! would love to see the SUBS again myself! I heard that Charlie is a real friendly guy, did you buy him a pint?

One of the Punk/OI-bands I really liked was Cockney Rejects, are they still around?

Cockney rejects - Badman

Cockney Rejects War On the Terraces

Cockney rejects - greatest cockney ripoff

Cockney Rejects - Flares And Slippers

And Whaddaya Know! They are still playing!
São Paulo - Brazil 2008

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by noangels

Yeah the Bill Grundy interview is a classic! "you dirty sod" - "you dirty old man!" Gotta love Steve Jones - The Guitar Hero!

I also collected Sex Pistols Bootlegs, but one case of just those records was stolen from my car when I was moving a couple of years ago! - WANKERS!

The Swindle movie is pure cult! - I love the animated parts as well!

Friggin in the Riggin

Silly Thing

Cook'n'Jones and Ronnie Biggs - No one is innocent - Rio Brazil

God save Ronald Biggs & The Sex Pistols!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

The Rejects were supposed to play at the Durham Punk Fest but had to cancel due to there being something wrong with Mickey Geggus.
I am thinking of going to The Circus Tavern, London in December to see them.

Another of my favourites are Cock SParrer and I'm thinking about going to Girona to see them next month.

But possibly my favourite Oi band, and definately the most misunderstood, were The 4 Skins.
They too have reformed and are touring but without Hoxton Tom who for me was the heart and soul of the band.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by noangels
Ahh man,I was a massive pistols fan when I was a teenager.Never mind the bollox was one of the best albums ever and Steve Jones always had great fat tone with his les Paul.I had at the time all the pistol stuff i could get my hands on from bootleg live recordings to funny radio clips of theres when they were touring states side

steve jones on live radio(heres a weather forcast for you,its fkn pissing it down out side)lol
or his classic bill grundy coments!you dirty old man!lol

Still one of the best bands ever to grace this planet,they might not have had the musical chops but boy could they belt out classic tunes and covers when needed

Rock n Roll swindle is a film I must have watched about 30 times,as I idolised good old Sidney at that time and dressed the same(minus the nazi tshirts)

Never liked the clash,they were not rock enough for me with the guitars lacking that classic marshall stack and gibson sound

Used to like other punk bands like the Exploited,UK subs,The Conflict and Peter and the test tube babies(they were a fun band!)All my mates were into GNR at that time and i couldnt get into those hairspray bands

but anyway Steve Jones rocks,I learnt every pistol song on guitar and in fact I learnt power chords to No Feeelings.Long live the pistols

I just had to post this old live video of "No Feelings" because I know that you especially love this old Pistols song:

[edit on 30-10-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Love punk, here's a great dead kennedy's track

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by valiant
Love punk, here's a great dead kennedy's track

Thanks for contributing to this "alternatvie music! thread!

It was a long time ago I heared the song you posted!

Love the great name of the American band: Dead Kennedy's!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Another of my favourites are Cock SParrer and I'm thinking about going to Girona to see them next month.

Double post - sorry!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Did you go to Girona? do you mean the town Girona which is one hour drive north of Barcelona? - and if I remember correctly it's also part of the Subway/Commuter-train system?

My parents lives one hour drive south of Alicante, so I use to drive up'n'down the coast (Costa Blanca, while i'm in the neighbourhood), and once I was staying one night in the small town of Girona during a trip.

Best regards!

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Maybe a little bit on the pop side, but it's still punk and I had every album.

Generation X - I think Billy might be the most successful musician to come from punk (or biggest sellout depending on your viewpoint) and the one I had the biggest crush on in my teeenage years.

Your Generation

Kiss Me Deadly (my fav)

Really liked The Ramones, Sex Pistols and The Clash too. I still have all my old vinyl saved for the day I get the turntable fixed.

posted on Oct, 30 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Hello and Welcome!

Yeah how could I forget about GEN X? - that was really weird!

Billy and Tony James wrote some good songs at the time, take a look how Tony looks today:

en.wikipedia.org...

He looks like a Corporated thug!

Wondering what Billy is doing these days of age, is he still living in Los Angeles near Steve Jones?

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Wow,thats a realy good version of No Feelings!Sounds better than the record

Would love to hear the whole of that album remixed or recorded again with the better (for overdriven rock tones)amps we have these day.In those days the amps were not overdriven enough even with a booster pedal fronting them

On this live clip Steves tone is modern,fat and in your face(looks like he has lost some weight!)

Man,this takes me back-as a teenager I would loop this song while getting ready to go out.Would love to do a cover of this in one of my bands,dont think my singer would like this but I may sing it

Jeez whats up with Johnny and his cloured barnet!lol

There are some great clips of the whole of the pistols last and only tour in the states on YouTube now.I was too young when they were around,would have loved to have seen them with Sid in their prime

posted on Nov, 3 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Ahh generation X too,dancing with myself.

Loved billys whiplash smile album,steve stevens played some great axe work on a lot of the tracks

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join