It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get back up

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I'm not going to say too much ...

I just discovered this and I wanted to share it.

Nick Vujicic

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

'm not going to say too much ...

Why not SD..?

This is quite the opportune time to remind one and all that taking the simple things in life for granite is indignant...

Thanks for the reminder...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by happygolucky

Why not SD..?

I thought the man said it all. The space between being at peace and feeling down is so small for so many of us, I thought perhaps this would put it in some perspective ... I know that it does for me.

Thanks for the reminder...

You are most welcome.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
My eyes got filled with water.
Yesterday I was down once again and I felt so weak.
I recovered already, but I feel so awkward now because I realize that I delayed bringing myself up because I didn't believe I could do such thing and indulged myself in being a hopeless victim.

I'm a really sloppy fellow. Since a little kid I've been bumping my knees and feet all around the place (interesting enough it happened specially in my own house, a place where I should know very well where every object was), hurting myself for being careless and for putting my mind ahead of my body.

But because I've hurt myself so much, because I went down so many times now I'm gradually learning how to pick myself up faster and more efficiently.

I believe that eventually I'll be so centered that downfalls won't happen anymore. And I'm fighting for that.

Life is quite a ride.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu
My eyes got filled with water.
Yesterday I was down once again and I felt so weak.
I recovered already, but I feel so awkward now because I realize that I delayed bringing myself up because I didn't believe I could do such thing and indulged myself in being a hopeless victim.

I'm a really sloppy fellow. Since a little kid I've been bumping my knees and feet all around the place (interesting enough it happened specially in my own house, a place where I should know very well where every object was), hurting myself for being careless and for putting my mind ahead of my body.

But because I've hurt myself so much, because I went down so many times now I'm gradually learning how to pick myself up faster and more efficiently.

I believe that eventually I'll be so centered that downfalls won't happen anymore. And I'm fighting for that.

Life is quite a ride.

it isnt until you have seen the darkest moments in your life that you can truly appreciate all that is good and beautiful in the world.

if you can overcome the worst moments in life... you can overcome anything. many people cant, and live in utter depression and are miserable. but the ones who overcome are the ones who are truly enlightened.

dont ever give up hope and faith that life will get better.. it will... you just have to make it to that point

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Listen to some neil young and youll always be put in a better mood

[edit on 31-8-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Wow, amazing!
Truly no self pity here.
And to think we hear almost everyday from people crying about how bad they've got it, about how unfair life is because someone else has more material things than they do, about how they can't succeed in life because someone else is keeping them down.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Nick is a special case. He never had the full use of limbs, so he learned from day one how to use his body in other ways to operate in the world. Oh, he's a good motivational speaker, and those that feel a need for his rhetoric will find it useful. He's never went from full use of limbs to no use of limbs. He's never personally been physically hobbled by the loss of something he's relied on for manipulation or mobility. It's like a cat that's never had a tail telling cats who've lost their tail that everything will be ok. He's never had a tail, so he doesn't know what it's like to lose it.

For myself, I find his motivational speech somewhat arrogant, and useless. But, I have no need for it to begin with. So, everyone is like "Look at the flipper boy, and how well he does! I feel better now because my life isn't as bad as his." His life isn't that bad. He does well, but sometimes I wonder how well he'd do if he lost his flipper.

Make do with what you have, don't sweat the small stuff, and everything will be ok even though right now it may not seem that way.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk

So, everyone is like "Look at the flipper boy, and how well he does! I feel better now because my life isn't as bad as his." His life isn't that bad.

There will always be folk who might take it in the fashion you describe ... they would however be missing the point imho.

The inspiration here is not in "I should be more appreciative of how lucky I am," such comparative self assessment is short lived and usually rather empty of real meaning.

What I get from this is rather the opposite. Namely, he provides a perspective on how easily we allow rather meaningless things to get us disproportionately down. In this context his story isn't one that make me feel better by comparison but actually worse. For I am as guilty as others to get so wrapped up in the "little things" and overreact negatively to them.

His perspective is particularly honest imo simply because towards the end of the video he concedes that he still would like to have limbs and hopes for a way to get them. This makes him slightly different as he doesn't embrace the sanctimony usually attached to such stories.

In the end there's no need to feel better or worse because one becomes aware of his situation. It is simply a moving human story on how to get back up.

[edit on 31 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hmmm, how do I say this without sounding like I’m grumping on you or sounding like an ogre.

I don't like emotional epiphanies.
People watch this - they cry - they think - ‘Wow, my life can’t be all that bad...’
Then they go right back to doing what is bad for them, wrong for them, and nothing changes.

Do you really think any of them, in a true moment of emotional darkness, physical darkness are going to remember this man and say ‘If he can do it, I can!’

No, because in a moment of emotional strife and upheaval those who are suffering don’t want to see survivors.

They don't want to see the people who’ve already gotten through the bad times.

They’re not interested in seeing someone else crossing the finish line when they’ve yet to take the first step.

Put simple, who wants to be 300 pounds overweight and have Malibu Barbie in a Bikini tell you just to stop eating?

Or when people tell someone who’s just lost their life mate or child ‘It will get better with time'.

IMO it causes is more anger, and more pain and more resentment, in the end beneficial only to the one *giving* the *advice*...

I’m a firm believer in we’ll never be given anything that is too hard for us to take.

And, that we all have our own personal hells and they're not comparable to the hells of others.

At the end of the day, have to learn how to deal with them, on our own.
Cause in the end, we’re the only one’s that are going to do it.

But that’s just me.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
What I get from this is rather the opposite. Namely, he provides a perspective on how easily we allow rather meaningless things to get us disproportionately down. In this context his story isn't one that make me feel better by comparison but actually worse. For I am as guilty as others to get so wrapped up in the "little things" and overreact negatively to them.

I agree completely. Too many people sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff (that quotes someone, but i"m too lazy to look it up).

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
His perspective is particularly honest imo simply because towards the end of the video he concedes that he still would like to have limbs and hopes for a way to get them. This makes him slightly different as he doesn't embrace the sanctimony usually attached to such stories.

Depite how what I've posted seems, I do have some respect for the guy. Sure he has DVD's to 'sell' for 'donations', I'm sure he gets a good speakers fee erm... 'donation for speaking', as I said there are people that do need to hear his perspective, but he doesn't come off as smarmy. If someone gets video of him spending on hookers and blow, then I'll reassess my view.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpacePunk

Nick is a special case. He never had the full use of limbs, so he learned from day one how to use his body in other ways to operate in the world. Oh, he's a good motivational speaker, and those that feel a need for his rhetoric will find it useful. He's never went from full use of limbs to no use of limbs. He's never personally been physically hobbled by the loss of something he's relied on for manipulation or mobility. It's like a cat that's never had a tail telling cats who've lost their tail that everything will be ok. He's never had a tail, so he doesn't know what it's like to lose it.

it's true - what you say

but he was still born into a world designed for people with limbs...and into a world that expects and accepts people with limbs

if you've ever known anyone born with or without anything that makes them different - you can't help but appreciate how much more difficult a path they had ahead of them than those of us born with the full game board and all of the pieces

Originally posted by silo13

Do you really think any of them, in a true moment of emotional darkness, physical darkness are going to remember this man and say ‘If he can do it, I can!’

No, because in a moment of emotional strife and upheaval those who are suffering don’t want to see survivors.

this is also true - I've been there - we all have

and when you're at your lowest - this sort of thing is exactly the opposite of what you want to see

or even need

it's actually almost impossible to tolerate

maybe it's better taken in by people who aren't in that very dark place - but who have grown complacent or even whiny

I've also been in that place - that whiny place

this message is more a nice, friendly little slap to the back of the head

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It's interesting how things often fall into line when least expected...I wouldn't have noticed this thread unless I'd posted one of my own which
SD had responded to...keep trying til you've breathed your last breath folks...just my opinion but it works for me...thanks for your contribution
SD...you could've kept it to yourself but you didn't...my perspective'll be a
bit brighter for awhile each time I think of people like the guy who got back up & you.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by plainmike

That's very kind of you to say pm.

Glad you found it as inspiring as I did.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
you dont know whats going on behind the cameras - that's all i can say

producers made the film to look this way, so it does

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Well,
I'm a bit put off.

The OP just wanted to give people a little inspiration.

Most of you are searching for any reason to not find it as such.

It's like watching a kid dragging a dead dog past the pet store on a leash.

"Why should I get a new dog? It'd eventually just die. "

[edit on 28-11-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Yes…I found this very inspiring SD… makes me feel thankful for all that a have and am able to do in my own life.

I think this man is a true testament to the human spirit and what it is capable of achieving.

We all have weaknesses in our lives, some bigger than others, but it is overcoming those weaknesses and building on our strengths that is important.

Thanks for posting

- JC

top topics

join