It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Army Buys Drunk Driving Game

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

The U.S. Army is funding improvements to a drunk driving game developed at the University of Calgary, in hopes of reducing what they say is a growing drunk driving problem among soldiers returning from war zones.

kotaku.com...

What does this mean? Does this mean soldiers who return become alcoholics? Any statistics? I couldn't find any. Please if you do don't hesitate to post.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

A google search for 'alcoholism in military' should get you plenty of reading. It's a large problem. Not necessarily 'returning as alcoholics' but the abuse of alcohol in general. It costs the military a lot of money in healthcare.

From that google search...in 2000, 21 percent of military personnel admitted to drinking heavily...I have no reason to believe the number has gone down.

Stress is a common 'reason' for turning to alcohol and drugs.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Soldiers have always drank a lot during weekends or days off. Friday nights a bunch of guys and girls throw bbq's or go to a bar and have a good time.

Most of the time its the single soldiers who get in the most trouble for this. Not only do these soldiers work together, but they live together also. They get to be good friends and go out and have a good time.

Soldiers getting back from being deployed haven't had fun in a year and over indulge. Its not that they are stressed out. They go out and drink like they did before they left and there bodies aren't used to it. So they get extremely drunk and crap happens.

The fact of the matter is that those who do drink and drive have no reason what so ever to be doing so. Every unit I have ever been to always give you a card. It has the phone number of your squad leader, platoon leader, 1st sargeant and company commander. They tell you to call them if you need a ride, because they rather pick you up from a nudie bar then the MP station.

But there is always a lump lump out there who does it anyways.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
IDK about the Army, but in the Air Force (especially my career field) it's huge. A lot of people won't admit it though. Expression is: work hard play harder.
In the USAF you get caught with a DUI (off base) is civilian jail, then crap on base is briefings, then AA (whatever your respective branch calls it), then more briefings, losing a stripe, aprehending money, article 15, and a lot of a** pain basically. It sucks. I'm not surprised the Army is doing that, they did it at my base too.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Thanks

Heavy alcohol use is a significant problem in the military. Personnel often use alcohol in an attempt to cope with stress, boredom, loneliness, and the lack of other recreational activities. The easy availability of alcohol, ritualized drinking opportunities, and inconsistent policies contribute to a work culture that facilitates heavy and binge drinking in this population. Prevention strategies such as alcohol use policies combined with campaigns focusing on alcohol deglamorization, personal responsibility, and health promotion currently are being implemented to help reduce heavy alcohol use, but further research is needed to evaluate the effects of these efforts. Understanding the characteristics of military culture that encourage or allow heavy and binge drinking practices also will help in designing effective prevention approaches.

www.enotalone.com...

For the individual who stated it is not due to stress or anything, please read the yellow. Do we have a disagreement here, do you think that someone whos job it is to kill won't stress? I know some enjoy it but most don't. If you don't fight for a cause it is hard not to stress. Am I on the right track?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I only go by my many years of first hand observation.

Sure stress does play a small role. Ever been to a soldiers bbq or party at a bar? Heck, have you ever been to a bar with a group of soldiers who are just having a good time?

Not to much stress involved. A soldier drinking to ease his mind of war would more likely be drinking alone in his room rather then at a bar. Its cheaper and quiter.

To contribute all drinking and driving in the military to the war is laughable. Whats the excuse for the average man or woman who are pulled over everday for driving under the influence?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Well I can't argue against first hand experience, I was merely stating what the source stated which could be wrong.

Even if you have first hand experience doesn't necessarily mean you know more, because I don't think they would tell you if they are feeling down. As I said, the majority would be stressed if they were killing people for no cause. That was the point which can be refuted by first hand experience, so keep doing what you do and have a good day

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Remember, the average age in the military is very young, maybe 20, 21 - most of the people their age are in partying it up in college. Drinking and 'partying' is no more prevalent in the miltary than it is with their civilian peers. And drug use is far, far, far less than their civilian counterparts.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Having lived in the barracks for most my military career, we can hone in on the ones who are stressed over having been deployed.

They are the ones that sit in their rooms alone and never go out. They don't socialize and rarely make an appearance at a barracks bbq.

Those are the ones we worry about and they aren't that common.

But give me as many eye rolling smiley faces you want. It doesn't change anything. You can take what I have observed or you can write it off. My words are there for anyone who wants to read them. You blowing them will bother me as much as a bright star bothers my sleep. Which is to say not at all.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I'm sure they will ban drinking

that will solve all the problems

because bans work.

top topics

join