It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Skills Pt3 - B.O.B w/ links and pictures

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
To add to this discussion of B.O.B. contents, I have a selection of pre-made kits, plus my own list which comes from a combination of my experience out in the woods and annual hurricane survival in a more urban setting.

View my kits and supply lists

Most of the things I add to my packs can be bought at walmart or a local supermarket. I can remember quite a few times being questioned "why'd you bring this or that" ....only to have the answer to the question become self-evident when the NEED for 'this or that' came up and we were MILES away from anywhere to 'buy' that particular thing.

One thing I still struggle with is convincing others, STOP squirreling money away in BANKS...buy some gold, put it up in your house hidden, then sooner not later, the answer to WHY I advised it will come.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Yep, that's true, if you are going to invest, gold (and silver) are the way to go...

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Ahhhhhh Cheaper than dirt is an excellent resource! I have ordered a lot of stuff from them and they have all kinds of goodies (only if I had the money
)

I suggest that everyone look at that website because I have come across things that I was not really looking for but would come in handy

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Great thread. I see some real quality BOBs. I still have a lot of my items from serving in the marine corps and I still need a bit more. When I have the whole she bang I will post mine.

Also I noticed not a whole lot of people have entrenching shovels. I think that is a no-no. Depending on where you are sleeping, what you are killing for food, etc etc I believe it's pretty useful. In the winter time especially for digging a shelter lower than just the surface to avoid sleeping on frozen ground which will only drain your body heat. Also, dead carcasses attract more animals such as wolves and bears and you won't want them pillaging your camp every night. Take what you need and bury the rest. Also can be used for planting more seeds if need be. In extreme cases can even be used as a weapon.

They are foldable so they don't take up much room. Most even come with carriers that will strap to the outside of your main bag. They're also extremely durable and lightweight. At a military surplus store I'm imagining they run at about $15 or so.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Yea, a shovel is a must. I have a gerber spade, the one Nato approves, but it runs around 50.00. Gerber has another though that is around 15 or 20, and Glock makes a telescoping entrenching tool that looks ok as well. Another use is for digging a hole to sh#t in and bury it.
As far as food, I store food in odor proof bags.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Ok, I finally got 20 post so I started a new thread on worthwhile survival equipment and what you need to think about and get first for your BOB no matter what (since there are a lot of people that just are not sure on how to start) and then I will be continuing the thread with stuff /equipment that is worthwhile after the basics are covered. Here's the link below
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 13-9-2009 by GregoNow]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Food - Dried, several pounds of each - jerky, nuts, rice, dried fruit, granola, tea (MRE's are too bulky)

The body uses 60 calories of sugar fast and after 3 to 4 hours your blood sugar levels will drop.
60 calories of Fat will give you the same energy but last for 8 to 12 hours

MREs are about 35 to 40% fat calories. they are made for troops that need a high energy output food.

I have heard this before, and I think one argument kinda puts
this in an odd perspective.

I have seen a plow horse pull a plow all day on a low fat diet.

I have seen a moose fight off a pack of wolves trying to get at its young.

There are vegetarian martial artists that will mop the mat with your
fat food for survival folks.

Fat is cheap, and it is dense, other than that it is not that great.

Fat is a cheaper way to feed the military man, not a better way.

Cheaper to ship cause it is dense and costs less, it is not healthy.

There are parrots that outlive humans that eat zero fat.

There are elephants and hippos the size of a tank.

So for me the only reason to carry fat based foods would be
for more calories in a smaller space and less weight.

I think I will chose to just use a wild edible plants guide, a small
fishing kit, some snare wire, some traps, and if I forget how to
use all the prior methods my rifle.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join