It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Skills Pt3 - B.O.B w/ links and pictures

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Be mindful if you choose to sleep elevated...

That will violate the one absolute rule of SERE..

You must have an escape route...

Get caught up there and you are caught..

Always choose a place to sleep that has at least one way to escape..

Semper

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I didn't want to make a new thread for this question so I'll ask here. I'm going knife shopping this week. How many different kinds should I get and what should I look for in a good knife? I've been looking at some generic swiss army knives, can a generic be as good as the original?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
reply to post by jibeho

I didn't want to make a new thread for this question so I'll ask here. I'm going knife shopping this week. How many different kinds should I get and what should I look for in a good knife? I've been looking at some generic swiss army knives, can a generic be as good as the original?

You really only need a few basic knives to keep in a BOB or to use for everyday carry. Unfortunately, knives have a tendency to really climb in price. Some knives are worth the higher price and others can really only be appreciated by true experts or collectors.

That being said, keep it simple and practical for your first few knives. A multifunction Swiss Army type knife is always good to keep on hand. You can get a Victorinox Camper for under $20 from a variety of Online retailers. I've had a Camper model for years. Just keep it sharp.

Multi tools are great to have also. I've been using the Leatherman Wave and SOG Power Plier for years. The Wave has changed a little over the years but the SOG has remained pretty constant. Either tool is good money spent. Put one on your Christmas List.

You may cosider adding a fixed blade to your gear as time goes on as well. These are good for a large variety of chores around the camp. You can get a basic Buck fixed blade for a good price or you may want to save a little and look at a Becker Companion BKt-2 knife. This is under $70 usually and is a long time favorite of many field operators. It is now being made by Ka Bar Cutlery under contract with the knife designer. This is a workhorse of a knife.

Above all learn to keep them sharp. You can buy a variety of fancy systems or simple "stones". '___' makes a great variety stones and makes a really good system. The Spyderco Sharpmaker is also very popular and can be used by just about anybody. It is just about foolproof.

Sorry for rambling but, I love to talk about knives. I hope this helps you a little.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You only need one knife...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/356c0efff61d.jpg[/atsimg]

Gotta love the Corps...

Semper

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Ramble away!

Semperfortis, do you have a link where I can buy that knife?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Sweet

I have just a simple (and cheap) Bowie knife.

It's full tang, with good weight for chopping. I have a smaller knife tucked in the sheath.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I still have my issue one, but you can pick them up at any reputable Army Navy Store..

They are really a fine knife and served me well for years...

This looks to be a good place...
KaBars

Semper

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Thank you! I am bookmarking both of those sites. I wish I wasn't on a budget or I would go on a hog wild shopping spree. Alas I have to be practical and just buy what I need.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Look for them at Flea Markets and such..

I have bought several really good knives at Yard Sales and Flea Markets for little or nothing including some Gerbers in a Box for 10 dollars...

Ended up with 3 nice Gerber knives and one Schrade...

Semper

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Calstorm, unless you want a knife for fighting any quality fixed
blade knife with a 3 -4" blade will do. The swedish Mora knives
are only $12 and will do everything you need including splitting
wood. The laminated steel holds an edge like crazy and they are
feather-light. For the weight of 1 marine corps kabar you could
carry 5 moras. I have broken one (once) by abusing the hell out
of it but 20 years of use verifies their quality to me. You don't need
a knife for chopping wood, just get a retractable blade saw -they
weigh next to nothing and sawing is much quieter than chopping,
another tactical advantage.

As for a multitool think about what features you really need. For
me all I need is:long blade, short blade, wirecutter/pliers, file,
phillips and slothead screwdriver, punch. thats it. Every additional
item adds weight so keeping it to a minimum is in your best
interests. Oh, and get one that won't rust!
Happy shopping! (god I love gear shopping!)

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I have a fondness for the Sea To Summit Silnylon poncho. Half the weight of a G.I. poncho ad twice the strength. Couple that with a Kifaru woobie and you need very little else for a shelter. I Highly recommend Kifaru products. They are pricey but are all USA built. Used by special forces everywhere. I have found them to be nearly indestructible. The poncho is somewhat smaller than current issue mil-spec but compacts to the size of a softball. The Woobie is nearly the same. Good to freezing or so as an emergency shelter and many other things. For quick recces or go kits they are invaluable.
Just my two cents.
Gotta love old jarheads and their kabars.

respecectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
i would also pack a pocket chainsaw over any folding saw. Quicker, nearly as light, more compact, and pure destruction on logs up to about8-10 inches. Please do not confuse this with the cheap wannabe wire saws.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

CX

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Many thanks for that info, toothache is one the most draining injuries to have if you have no way of treating it.

I think i'm right in saying that good tooth hygeine and maintainence can help avoid heart problems too.

CX.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

You can get kits similar to this one www.campingsurvival.com... from a variety of sources. I use this company to stock up on emergency rations. I last stocked up before the start of Tornado season.

I also keep a bottle of Stabilized Oxygen in my BOB . It has a wide array of uses including preserving tap water for long term storage. I keep 4 full 7 gallon containers of H2O on hand JIC.

Stabilized Oxygen (Aerobic Oxygen) Whenever the water is questionable or whenever one needs to store water for an extended time — use Stabilized Oxygen.

Stabilized Oxygen or Aerobic Oxygen is a safe, non-toxic stabilized liquid concentrate of electrolytes of oxygen. It has been used for years by knowledgeable travelers to purify drinking water in foreign countries such as Mexico, India, Russia, etc. Adding Stabilized Oxygen to water kills hostile microbes, anaerobic bacteria and viruses. Many school districts in California use Stabilized Oxygen in 55 gallon drums of water for their natural disaster storage programs. One ounce of Stabilized Oxygen makes 55 gallons of water safe to drink for 5 years or longer.

Stabilized Oxygen is oxygen in molecular form. One of oxygen’s many properties is that it destroys harmful bacteria. Researchers have not found any anaerobic infectious disease bacteria that Stabilized Oxygen does not kill. This includes Salmonella, Cholera, Streptococcus, E. coli, Pseudomonos, Staphylococcus and even the dreaded Guardia-Lamblia, just to name a few. It is interesting to note that the friendly aerobic bacteria which we need in our digestive systems is not affected by Stabilized/Aerobic Oxygen. In fact, the good bacteria thrive in its presence.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

I was looking at this one untill you mentioned the pocket chainsaw. Opinion please.

I am seriously considering this one and the Mora mentioned above.

I want at least two good knives, in case I did something stupid and dropped one in the river. A knife would be the one thing I would be afraid to be without.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I am not personally familiar with the Bushman but cold steel makes a very good product. The mora is a good knife all around and highly recommended. Remember the best knife for you is the one you have with you ALL THE TIME. In other words if it is in a bag, vehicle, or at home it is useless. Sooo much depends on the situation. A mora in your pocket and a bushman in your bob would be a good choice. For me, in the states, with my preference, I carry a large linerlock folder.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Yeah, I had a wire saw 4yrs ago. It was great @1st but wore out very quickly. Honestly, I dont think a saw is necessary. Its easy enough to break firewood against a rock or tree & if its too big or silence is an issue, just feed it into the fire end on, bit by bit.
The size of pole needed for shelter construction is easy enough to cut into with a sharp knife & then snap. Kindling can be whittled off a larger bit of wood with a knife too.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
You might consider Baking Soda instead of the toothpaste.

More uses -

Clean teeth
Use for laundry
Emergency use for indigestion
etc

What about some heavy duty Plastic Tie Wraps?

Also - a kiddy wadding pool = folds up to nothing
Use to collect rain water
Use as bathtub
Wrap items into it for rain-proof

CX

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm

I was looking at this one untill you mentioned the pocket chainsaw. Opinion please.

I am seriously considering this one and the Mora mentioned above.

If you're interested, theres a demo video for that knife.....

CX.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Per the Bushmaster:
Any steel that flexible probably won't hold an edge, that's the trade
off. Also for use as a knife the handle looks pretty uncomfortable
and with that big honker of a blade it would not be good for
dressing any animal smaller than a grizzly. I've skinned many
deer and even elk with the mora and frankly the big kabars and
bowies are really unsuitable for that task.

Odds are you'll be skinning rabbits and squirrels for the most
part. Still I could see the usefulness of the bushman for a spear
or throwing weapon. I just can't adjust to the idea of throwing
my knife at an enemy. lol. As long as I have bullets I'll be
throwing those first!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join