It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Government Tells Amputee to Get a Job

page: 1
4

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

A Florida man who lost his right leg to bone cancer says his benefits are being taken away by the government.

The Social Security Administration sent 33-year-old Todd Cohen a letter in October, notifying him that he would lose his benefits because his condition had improved enough for him to get a job, the St. Petersburg Times reported.

Cohen, who is appealing the decision, said he struggles to understand the government's reasoning. "My leg didn't grow back," he said.
Cohen was 19 when he was diagnosed with bone cancer in his right thigh in 1994. Three years later, he had to have his leg amputated. He uses a prosthetic to walk, but said he still deals with complications from his surgery, including a recent staph infection and blisters near the site.


news.aol.com...|compaq-laptop|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Fampute e-todd-cohen-told-to-get-a-job%2F645621

The economy is horrible. Normal people cannot find jobs. Yet, the government is throwing people off disability and telling them to get a job. It escapes logic.

[edit on 8/29/2009 by Jessicamsa]




posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa
 


Yes, the economy is horrendous right now, and yes the situation of this man is difficult.

My question is whether the man got a prostheitc leg or not.

People who are disabled are often given assistance in finding jobs as well.

My step-father, while not losing a limb, suffered from a major head-on collision with the other man being a drunk-driver.

(my step-father went to rehabilitation, and they tried to find him work)

His spine looks like a piece of spaghetti and his condition is far worse than this man's because he was permanently disabled, while this man can get a prosthesis my step-father cannot replace his spinal column.

I say that they were right to tell the man to get a damn job, he can get over losing a leg with a prosthesis and the Government will assist him with rehabilitation and finding a job.

If I were to lose a limb I would get a prosthesis and get right back out there and utilize the Government job assistance to get work.

Oh yeah, and there is nothing stopping him from using his hands and fingers and asking the Government to pay for school and get a computer programmers degree or any other computer related job.

Hell, even ATS will pay him, if he comes on here.

Reviving and Improving ATS Premium: And Getting Paid For It

The man is a freeloader, get off your butt, and get back to work.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]



posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by Jessicamsa
 


Yes, the economy is horrendous right now, and yes the situation of this man is difficult.

My question is whether the man got a prostheitc leg or not.

People who are disabled are often given assistance in finding jobs as well.

My step-father, while not losing a limb, suffered from a major head-on collision with the other man being a drunk-driver.

(my step-father went to rehabilitation, and they tried to find him work)

His spine looks like a piece of spaghetti and his condition is far worse than this man's because he was permanently disabled, while this man can get a prosthesis my step-father cannot replace his spinal column.

I say that they were right to tell the man to get a damn job, he can get over losing a leg with a prosthesis and the Government will assist him with rehabilitation and finding a job.

If I were to lose a limb I would get a prosthesis and get right back out there and utilize the Government job assistance to get work.

Oh yeah, and there is nothing stopping him from using his hands and fingers and asking the Government to pay for school and get a computer programmers degree or any other computer related job.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]


I agree that he can get a job, under a normal economy. Right now though, who would hire him? Where would he find a job when people without disabilities are not finding work?

He has a prosthesis and a graphing degree. He could work a job. Graphing is a sit down job. However, who is hiring?

Until the economy imporoves, if it ever does, people are not going to be able to just go "get a job."

Someone needs to send him a link to our site. You edited while I was typing. I dunno how to contact the guy though. He would feel a lot better about himself if he did have a job. He's never worked and probably has a defeated outlook in life.

[edit on 8/29/2009 by Jessicamsa]



posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Oh, but for the salvation of government run healthcare.




posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa
 


Jessicamsa, the real issue is, now that I know he has a prosthesis, is whether he sought local resources for work, whether the Government tried finding him a job.

My step-father did not just get onto disability, they pushed him for years with assistance until it was realized and recognized that he could not actually do anything.

I have empathy for this man, as I need more work, but I have zero sympathy.



posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by Jessicamsa
 


Jessicamsa, the real issue is, now that I know he has a prosthesis, is whether he sought local resources for work, whether the Government tried finding him a job.

My step-father did not just get onto disability, they pushed him for years with assistance until it was realized and recognized that he could not actually do anything.

I have empathy for this man, as I need more work, but I have zero sympathy.


A lot of government doesn't try to help find work for someone.

I was on welfare for years and trying to find employment. I had moved to KY in 1999 and had not worked in six years. I was in a violent marriage and my husband wouldn't allow me to work. Why? He flatout told me he was not going to allow me to get money just so I can leave him. So, when I finally escaped that state (the state wouldn't allow me to move without giving my baby to this man, which I couldn't allow because he was so violent; he was even going to set fire to me at one point) and moved out here, I was hopeful of just getting a job and starting over in life. I applied every where. They all wanted you to be able to work nights and weekends. The day care around here was only open M-F 6:30am to 6pm and all potential babysitters would've taken so much of the paycheck that there wouldn't have been money left over for much else. Some of them even wanted me to pay them minimum wage! How was I to pay someone minimum wage when I would be making less than minimum wage after I got taxes taken out? I went back on welfare. They told me that I'd get help finding a job, and put me in job work programs, but those programs didn't actually try teaching skills to get a job (I didn't actually need skills, just a job) nor did they help. I had no work experience since the age of sixteen and places would see that and I usually never got an interview. I also had no references, not even personal. The workers told me I could use them for references, and I did. I overheard one of them giving me a reference and she told the potential employer that I wasn't as lazy as the other workers there. Wow...who would hire someone when that was the nicest reference she could come up with??

So, I ended up in college, living off welfare and financial aid. I started selling on ebay. Ebay sales started tanking a few years ago though, so that started going belly up, but it helped a while when I needed it.

My point is that the government in my experience rarely ever helps find jobs for someone. The welfare people actually wanted us to remain on dependence as long as they could because the more on the program, the more funding they got for their programs. As soon as my eligibility was used up, I got shown the door.

I found employment after I got out of government housing. Why? It wasn't from lack of trying on my part. I finally figured out that people knew which was the government assisted area and they would discriminate because they viewed those on assistance as lazy leeches and wouldn't give them employment. All of the people I know from that area was having trouble finding a job (of the ones who were looking) and didn't find a job until they were able to move away for some reason.

I've been unemployed now for several months, but it's because no one is hiring, except for a few places which I've applied at. They have hundreds of applicants trying to work a job at McDonalds, for example. I'm glad to be free of government housing, because now at least I blend in with all the other applicants. I'll probably have to move away from the area to get employment, but for now I have to hang close. I have one class and a thesis to finish my master's degree in the spring and I want to finish it out.

Hopefully, someone will help this man find employment. Being able to work a job gives you empowerment that the government wants taken away. The government told him for years that he couldn't work, didn't help him, then when they need to think of their budget, kick him to the curb. When he realizes he is not totally useless and worthless, his inner creativity will be awakened and allowed to show.



posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa
 


While I agree with you in some instances and see your plight of where you were and your abusive ex, this man is not living in an abusive relationship, and the Government does not have to do anything, there are programs out there, he has to want to do something to change his situation.

Me? Well, I'm working towards becoming self-employed, I will not rely on the bastards in Washington to assist me.

What I was outlining about that man is that it sure sounds like he is just complaining instead of doing something about it, and while he may not know the resources available to him, there are resources available it just takes a concerted effort.

I'm sorry your husband was the way he was, he sounds like someone I would bully-bust, because I do not tolerate bullying and I stand up to bullies, and teach others to do the same.

I am happy you made it out of your situation and hope the man in the original post gets out of his as well, but like I said before, empathy, not sympathy.

Are you doing anything as a volunteer?

[edit on 29-8-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]



posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
reply to post by Jessicamsa
 


While I agree with you in some instances and see your plight of where you were and your abusive ex, this man is not living in an abusive relationship, and the Government does not have to do anything, there are programs out there, he has to want to do something to change his situation.

Me? Well, I'm working towards becoming self-employed, I will not rely on the bastards in Washington to assist me.

What I was outlining about that man is that it sure sounds like he is just complaining instead of doing something about it, and while he may not know the resources available to him, there are resources available it just takes a concerted effort.

I'm sorry your husband was the way he was, he sounds like someone I would bully-bust, because I do not tolerate bullying and I stand up to bullies, and teach others to do the same.

I am happy you made it out of your situation and hope the man in the original post gets out of his as well, but like I said before, empathy, not sympathy.

Are you doing anything as a volunteer?

[edit on 29-8-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]


I'm not an official volunteer with anything. When I see someone though who needs help, I do try to help him/her.

Yes, the man in the article is not in an abusive relationship and isn't doing anything about his situation. For whatever reason, he believes he is helpless and doesn't think he can do something about his situation. That's the point I'm trying to make. Sometimes when someone loses hope, they just give up. Some people need encouragement that they can better themselves after they've lost all hope before they can feel any hope at all again. I've been there before.

I remember when I got my first job after fifteen years of constant rejection, I was in total shock. I went to work and couldn't believe I was there. It felt so weird, and I was actually scared for a while when in the "employee only" areas and felt like someone was going to throw me out at any moment. I didn't feel like I belonged for a while. But after I got settled in, I was so happy and practically lived at my job. I often didn't even want to be at home, but I had to go home. Now that I don't have the job anymore, I feel really lousy. My life revolved around my job and now my life is at a stand still.

My husband was (and still is) a government employee. His government buddies let him get away with what he wanted. I do not trust the government.

I know that the government is not responsible for finding people jobs, etc; however, since the government sets up programs claiming to do so, the government should be forced to uphold the promises or be disbanded altogether. I support disbandment actually.



posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Seems like they might take a shot at the hundreds of thousands of able bodied slackers living for free off of the system before they hit the guy with a missing leg.

I agree that he should be able to take care of himself after training and rehab but there is such a big portion of our population who are living as parasites, why him?

Did he vote Republican or something?



posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa
 


Well, disbandment will never happen, in either of our lifetimes.

You will like the thread below because it is about throwing all the horse's behinds out, like your ex-husband.

How To Overthrow Your Own Government, Legally and Without Violence, In Order To Survive

What type of job does he do exactly? I do not want specifics.


Originally posted by badgerprints
Seems like they might take a shot at the hundreds of thousands of able bodied slackers living for free off of the system before they hit the guy with a missing leg.

I agree that he should be able to take care of himself after training and rehab but there is such a big portion of our population who are living as parasites, why him?

Did he vote Republican or something?


You just never know.


It could be as as simple as that.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]



posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints


Did he vote Republican or something?


If he did it was probably the third strike against him.

White....strike one
Male....strike two
Republican.....strike three....you're out!



[edit on 29-8-2009 by RRconservative]



posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The biggest scam in disability now is children being urged by their parents to do bad in school, so they can get a disability check.

Not only do you get extra foodstamps for every child, but if you encourage them to do bad in school, you could also get a disability check. I have seen a family of 5 get 5 seperate monthly disabilty checks a month.



posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I would think he actually has an advantage over his potential competitors in this economy. Legitimate disabillities, like absence of a limb, qualify as minority hires towards a company's EEOC goals/requirements. If he's a good worker and able to do whatever desk job he's offered, I'd bet there are plenty of companies more than willing to hire him.

Let's be honest here, he's 33 and lost his leg at 22 after which time he started getting government checks and wasn't working. He long, LONG ago burned through his share of disabillity/medicare/assisted living tax contributions. He's now essentially "working" for us, the tax payers. I say it is time for him to find work elsewhere because I am disatisfied with his performance. (IE: He's fired.)



posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
So we've finally adopted the "World Owes Me a Living" philosophy? Why should the government be responsible for finding him work? I'm sorry he lost his leg, but you are employable. The job isn't going to come and find you. The current economy has nothing to do with it. Even in a great economy the jobs don't come and find you. That is unless you are considered a visionary in your field and I highly doubt this guy is. Otherwise he wouldn't be whining about no longer getting benefits because is can work.



new topics

top topics



 
4

log in

join