It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elder Bush will not attend Kennedy funeral

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

A spokesman for Bush said Friday that he and his wife, Barbara, decided not to attend Kennedy's funeral after learning their son, former President George W. Bush, would attend.

The other remaining former presidents — Democrats Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton — will join the younger Bush at the service. President Barack Obama will give the eulogy.

Source

The Senior Bush will be the sole living former President not in attendance.

IMO, this shows a lack of class and disrespect. I suspect others will not agree.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Maybe he's ill or something and the family didn't want to have it known to the public?

I don't think it's disrespectful, IMO.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Maybe he's ill or something and the family didn't want to have it known to the public?

One can only hope.

At least I'll have some wonderful words for him cut and pasted from the Ted Kennedy thread should the old bastard croak.

(acceptable term as per ATS issues thread)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Regards...KK

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
IMO, this is shows a lack of class and disrespect. I suspect others will not agree.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
The guy has had heath issues lately - according to TV news.
In past years he's jumped out of planes at an elderly age.
But recently his age has been catching up with him.

Born - 12 June, 1924
He's 85. Give the ol' guy a break.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Talk about arrogant disrespect!

I think that is just one of the most inappropriate things I have seen in some time now. I guess that tells you just the sort of people he and Barbara are! One can only hope that someone will snub his funeral, or dance on his freaking grave! There is no way that this is right, no matter what former POTUS should be there, all of them!

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
Talk about arrogant disrespect!

Actually YOUR post is disrespectful to the elderly ex-POTUS.** So it doesn't matter that Bush41 is 85 years old and suffering from health problems? He should be dragged to the funeral of a senator anyways?

BTW .. Kennedy was JUST a senator. He wasn't a POTUS. He wasn't a head of state. He was just a senator. There is no protocol for ex presidents to have to attend funerals of senators let alone an elderly ex-POTUS that is having health issues.

** Note .. I don't care if people are 'disrespectful' to politicians.
I'm using that word becasue it's the word redhead57 used.

[edit on 8/29/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Not surprising, the younger bush never met the coffins of our American Soldiers coming back home either.

The Bush's all of them suck. They are arrogant and service to self morons.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
The Bush's all of them suck. They are arrogant and service to self morons.

Sure. Absolutely. I agree. Almost all potliticians are.
But the fact is Bush41 is old and not getting around very well at this time.
But the fact is Kennedy was JUST a senator.
But the fact is that there is no need for ANY ex-POTUS to attend.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
BTW .. Kennedy was JUST a senator.

He entered the Senate in 1962, and was re elected to 8 consecutive terms.

Kennedy was one of only six senators in U.S. history to serve more than 40 years. He was elected to eight full terms to become the second-most senior senator after West Virginia Democrat Robert Byrd.

He was probably best known for the ability to work with Republicans," said Adam Clymer, Kennedy's biographer...there was never a piece of legislation that he ever got passed without a major Republican ally."

www.cnn.com...

JUST a Senator? Give me a break. He was an American Icon worthy of a Presidential eulogy.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Ted (Swimmer) Kennedy didn't even attend the funeral of his own sister, and some are criticizing Bush for not attending the funeral of some overrated Senator?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I don't see what the problem is. I'm not a big fan of GHWB, but he's 85 years old. I know he jumped out the plane a few months back just to prove he could still do it, but otherwise, I doubt the guy travels more than necessary. I can't blame him for not going, especially considering that Kennedy was not a current or former head of state and was a member of the opposing party.

He did release a statement a few days ago:

Barbara and I were deeply saddened to learn Ted Kennedy lost his valiant battle with cancer. While we didn't see eye-to-eye on many political issues through the years, I always respected his steadfast public service -- so much so, in fact, that I invited him to my library in 2003 to receive the Bush Award for Excellence in Public Service. Ted Kennedy was a seminal figure in the United States Senate -- a leader who answered the call to duty for some 47 years, and whose death closes a remarkable chapter in that body's history.

Link

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Ahhh, so now the truth comes out. You didn't post this news to discuss it, you posted it to turn it into a bashing thread.

I understand now.

also, I don't need the rules about certain words quoted to me

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

If you kindly re read my OP it was totally neutral and provided a source.

I qualified my opinion on the matter with IMO.

You happened to defend his non attendance.

The only 'Truth' to come out is that Bush 41 IS NOT IN ATTENDANCE.

No reason was given as to why. The defense of health issues are pure speculation until shown otherwise.

Sorry about rule link. Although I don't feel comfortable using the term
I did recently learn it was acceptable here. Eye for an eye as they say.

Respectfully...KK

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I didn't offer a defense, for defense sake, just offering another possibility as to why he may not be attending.

You also stated he deserves a presidential eulogy, he's getting it, President Obama is giving it.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Kennedy didn't even attend the funeral of his own sister, and some are criticizing Bush for not attending the funeral of some overrated Senator?

Two weeks before his own death from a terminal illness.

It is likely he was bedridden.

There aren't many closer families that I could think of. Had he been able to, I'm sure he would have.

Please DENY IGNORANCE or at least strive for common sense.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Let me be clear on this, since you've linked to a post of mine.

There are bastards and there are bastards

They are not quite the same.

I AM a bastard and proud of it. The son of a Canadian soldier from Winnipeg who had the pleasure of my mother's company shortly after the Germans were run out of Holland. I don't call myself a 'bastard', though, and tend towards what history has named me... a VICTORY CHILD.

Ted Kennedy will never be counted among my heroes even though I am the most liberal minded, tulip walking tree hugging lefty on these boards.

period

edit to add that I wouldn't go to his funeral either, nor watch the various television specials covering it.

[edit on 29/8/09 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Well don't we know there are rumours George Bush Sr. was somehow involved in a "special treatment" of JFK. Which explains a lot. No real fun to attend a funeral with his relatives under such circumstances. Someone might act in an undesired way at the wrong moment.

[edit on 29-8-2009 by DeepSea]

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
You also stated he deserves a presidential eulogy, he's getting it, President Obama is giving it.

Yes true. I was attempting to present stature or high standing to the argument that he was JUST a Senator.

Plus a little known factoid: Senator Kennedy attended the funeral every US soldier from Massachusetts who was killed in the Iraq war.

I'll concede your reply was presented as an alternative as opposed to a defense.
However, health was not a reason stated for non-attendance revealed by my research thus far.

Time waits for no man.

Regards...KK

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The first thing that came to my mind is that the Elderly Bush may be ill either that or his wife is ill.

We have to remember that this are elderly people and that they are not exempt of age related illnesses.

Or maybe he got the swine flu, you never know.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Let me be clear on this, since you've linked to a post of mine.

There are bastards and there are bastards

They are not quite the same.

OK, I had asked for clarification before in the ISSUES thread where it was deemed an acceptable term provided it was not used against another poster, thanks for the further input.

My only question is:

Since all we have on his forum are our words what distinction can be made between your TWO DIFFERENT definitions/meanings if the word is used within identical context?

Seems subjective.

Unlike wind (air) or wind (clock)

[edit on 29-8-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join