It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch space shuttle Discovery launch on NASA TV - Link provided

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
If you're lame like me and want to watch something interesting on a Friday night, may I suggest tuning in to the launch of Discovery on mission STS-128.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cd5c06c58de4.png[/atsimg]

MISSION OVERVIEW

The International Space Station now has the people (six astronauts from four countries), the place (three laboratories, 220 miles up) and the time (24/7) for science. The STS-128 mission is going to provide it with more science to do.

With the previous mission, the Japanese Kibo laboratory complex was completed and two experiments installed on its new porch. With the United States’ Destiny laboratory, the European Space Agency’s Columbus laboratory, and the projects attached to the station’s exterior, there are now 20 research facilities inside the space station and eight experiments going on outside.

But there’s still room for more. When space shuttle Discovery next visits the space station, it will be bringing more equipment for the astronauts to put to use inside those laboratories, as well as other equipment to help the station keep up with the increased demand for air and exercise that came with its increase in crew size earlier this year.

Go to the NASA website for the full mission overview.

There are currently RED (no-go for launch) weather conditions but NASA say the weather should clear up by launch time (11:59 EDT) and the preparations are going ahead as planned.

Anyway, the build-up and launch can be watched on NASA TV.

Good Luck and God's Speed to the Astronauts! Enjoy!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Thanks!

But one question, why is the video all green and blue, instead of the actual screen?
I cant see anything on the video!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Thanks I'd forgotten about the launch. Guess I'm pretty lame to this Friday night.

Have a good one anyways!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Should be in about 3 hours or so now I believe? hopefully the fuel leaks and storms will hold-back for the last ever changeover crew mission to the ISS. the next couple of flights are only service flights before the shuttle is retired for good.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Thanks for the link bud

I guess Im lame too, because this just made my friday night

About 2-1/2 hours left to go, can't wait!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Thanks for reminding me! I live in Ft. Lauderdale, so I will be able to go outside and see it after about a minute after launch. I just love the night launches! Always a spectacular display!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Looking good so far. Thanks for the reminder.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Looks like we are a go for launch! Anyone know how long they are supposed to be up there? I'd kill to get the chance to go!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I always get excited for a shuttle launch.

Night Launchs are even more exciting.

God Speed..

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

13 day mission to the space station, all looking good

Lines

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Awsome!

T-9 minutes and counting!

I love the night launches!

Good luck!

Keep your fingers crossed guys!

kiwifoot

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

The website clock and the video clock are different.

Wonder if my video is lagging?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Quite an impressive sight at night with all of the lights and the lighting of the shuttle! Godspeed...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Negative return? so that means they can bring that thing back before then? It is crazy to think that a machine so powerful could just turn round and land

Suppose it'd just disconnect from the fuel

[edit on 28-8-2009 by Pockets]

link   
Well I live in south Fl and it was a beautiful sight.

Saw the twin boosters fall off.

link   
Fantastic launch! Go, baby, go!!!! Too bad we will have to wait a few years to see an Orion lauch after they retire the shuttle next year!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
wow
thanks a lot
I literally, found this thread, went to the link and the damn thing blasted off!
Perfect timing.

Thanks again.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Negative return to the Cape. It would have to land in Spain at this point.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

It all blows my mind man, I'm not big into space or rocketry but it is amazing

lines

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I live on the Gulf side of the state, and just came back inside from watching it. It lit the clouds up for a good couple of minutes before it was over the horizon. There were a couple of flashes like lightning visible all the way over here. Absolutely amazing sight. I never tire of watching that thing go up.

<<   2 >>

join