It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People Claiming to be Military on ATS, A Rant.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Is there any reason why the guy claiming to be on the ballot box chopper couldn't have been telling the truth?

It wouldn't be the first time someone has joined ATS purely to post on a specific topic, and as someone has already said, we do have a lot of military here.

I think we need to remember how big a site ATS is, and how far it reaches around the world. It's not as bizzare as it sounds for an incident happen around the world, and then it be mentioned on ATS as one of our members was either there or nearby. Happens often.

Maybe i'm being naive, maybe the guy was full of it, but i didn't see any proof that he was not on that chopper? There again he can't exactly provide proof.

It can be a small world on ATS. Recently i contacted a member regarding their avatar, it was of something i used to walk past regularly on patrol in a past deployment, and something that changed the life of myself and some of my mates in a big way. That was from 16 years ago, and the member who's avatar it was is from the other side of the world from me.

Like i said, it can be a small world on ATS at times. That doesn't always mean people are always lieing.

I appreciate that it's hard to tell though.

One thing i do know though, is that i won't be divulging my sevice history, positions held and tasks carried out on a public forum just because someone has questioned the honesty of alleged serving or ex-forces here on ATS.

No offence to the OP there, it's just something thats not always a good idea.

CX.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer
reply to post by IDK88

So how are you telling if someone is misrepresenting themselves? What criteria are you using?

I am former Military....Ft. Bliss, White Sands, and Holloman AFB 87-90......

God you must've been bored in the middle of nowhere lol.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FantasmaTaans

At first I hated the desert....and yes, it was boring at first. But after I met some people and figured out what kinds of things there were to do around there, we had a blast. I would move back that way (Alamogordo, El Paso, Cloudcroft) in a heartbeat!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by IDK88
Because I post a lot on topics concerning the War on Terror and the various conflicts being fought here and there througout the world, I almost always encounter a person claiming to be military and suggesting that because I am not on the specific battlefield that I don't know what I am talking about.

I was recently thinking about the Star Wars Saga...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/433ef1214957.jpg[/atsimg]

Look no offense but..

I've been on the opposite side of this card. Knowing something or having been somewhere that the other poster really has no clue about. I'm not saying your opinions or views are invalid or anything like that. You seem pretty intelligent. You know what I'm saying...

Star wars is not a good analogy. Having said that, I find it highly unlikely that we would be lucky enough to have THE pilot coincidentally sign up here at ATS.

As far as members who have served....

Remember people we are on a conspiracy site of all places. Not to mention before we all start scanning in our docs that it's against the rules to post personal info.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't know if he's THE pilot...from the explanation of the event that he's given he was the guy that was responsible for the strapping the boxes down and getting muffins or some crazy thing. His specializes in fastening down boxes and equipment and closing hatches.

You don't have to guess his member name its gunner18...he's still posting. Boasting and belittling. Telling me about all I am not aware of and that it was no big deal...being that the votes were already counted.

FYI...Star Wars is an excellent analogy for everything. See that's what I am talking about...what you see and what I see, while the probably the same...I saw something extra. I don't know why a guy who fancies himself to be some kind of real life Bobba Fett would put down starwars.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by IDK88
FYI...Star Wars is an excellent analogy for everything. See that's what I am talking about...what you see and what I see, while the probably the same...I saw something extra. I don't know why a guy who fancies himself to be some kind of real life Bobba Fett would put down starwars.

See here's the deal...

I'm not defending the poster who claims to have been there. I actually took the time to read his posts. What I'm talking about are these Star Wars references. I love Star Wars too. I even saw the original when it was first released at Mans Chinese theater in Hollywood. Yeah I'm that old

But if you are going to discuss real world events with real service men and women while comparing them to fictional characters and fictional situations and say to them that THEY are the ones who don't get it becuase they don't see the MOVIE in the same light as you. You loose credibility. Meanwhile they have done things and seen things that would make a billy goat puke.

You want to debate their real life experience with your visions of Luke?
That's sound a little too far out there even for ATS.

Be advised. They will push back.

Deal with it.

P.S. you have a good looking child sitting on your lap.
Mine finished his tour in Iraq in March and has been stationed elsewhere.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dramey
and even those who are what they say they are have psychologic issues where their point of view is clouded by propaganda and those higher in charge

Get a grip. He was talking about the ones who pretend to be military. He wasn't inviting an anti military rant.

As for your assertion that the ones who are not lying all have psychological issues, way out of line.

You really should keep your personal hatred of the military in the proper context.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
OP I know where you are coming from.

I was not in the military I was married to it in 1966. My husband served in Vie Nam for three terms.

It it is a cardinal sin to many of us to say you are military when you are not.

I ride a Harley Davidson and haven't missed Bike Week or Biketoberfest in many years.

If you are found to be not truthful about your service during the Vietnam war or later wars you can count on getting your butt whipped.

I am no longer married to the military but my significant other is an ex army man who served the first term in Vietnam and two more because he requested it.

He really does not like the fakers at all. It takes him just a few questions and he will know if the person is lying.

Those of us who lived during the Vietnam era understand you completely OP.

And don't even say you served in Iraq if you didn't. It won't turn out well for you.

My sincere thanks to all who served and do serve now.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I'm military, and while I'm not TOP BRASS, I am TOP SECRET. A rank and file enlisted sailor I may be, but I'm no more expendable than the next guy. And frankly, YOU'RE a lot more expendable than I am. Lol. I have ten years of experience and millions of dollars worth of training in a menagerie of vary skills and weapons systems...you apparently have fingers to type with.

Never compare anyone in the military to an inept, head-on-the-door-bumping, "these aren't the droids we're looking for" storm trooper.

Sure, there are dumb soldiers and sailors out there who still believe that Obama was sworn in on a Quran, and that if they tell you that "I was there whenst them Aliens masacreed mah fambly..." but be respectful to those of us who aren't.

Oh, and as far as fakers...I laugh at them. I met a scrawny kid in San Diego who after a few drinks decided to start talking "smack". When a friend of mine got in his face, he said something to the likes of, "I am legally bound to warn you that I am a SEAL and am not responsible if you die in a fight with me." It may have worked in the past, but on this particular night, this small guy caught the beating of his life at the hands of my friend, who sadly enough, was a BUDs washout. LOL.

[edit on 6-9-2009 by Cotechs]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join