It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majic Of The Wilderness.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hi All,

I just got through reading. I am not telling everyone to go out, and do this. My Friends father is 83 old(stated elderly in the OP).

When I say he was a champion hunter I mean that. He was a sport hunter. He has killed over 150 deer, 2 grizzly, musk ox, cougars,40 wild bores turkeys, 20 black bear, etc. The man did it all with a long bow......... Bow hunting is one thing, but long bow hunting is something different. Any ways for any nay sayers in this thread, let me tell You the man could walk circles around anyone in regards to forest environment, or survival.

Also, I keep reading about the apparent laws of kill, or be killed. i cannot say I agree with that. Have any of You lived in, and around Native Americans?

I live in Guatemala part of the year, and the Maya indians are all over the highlands. They do have whitetail deer, and other critters. Any ways, it's like going back in time in many regards. The Maya don't have all the fancy chain saws, or axes. They have machetes.

Now, to see the highlands is impressive. Just like being in Oregon almost. Just a tad bit more dangerous. All the trees are manicured, and the ground is groomed.

They pick up every twig, and every low lying branch they can find for firewood; used for heat, cooking, etc.

There forests are extremely clean with an abundance of grass under, around all the trees. Extremely healthy for the animals....................

Many of the animals are dead now, but that's because the US backed govt. there hunted the Maya's down like dogs from the 50's through 90's. So a lot of the animals were eaten, but the point I'm making is they are rebounding fast.

Now, in the US the govt., and forest companies don't clean their messes up, and then they plant fast growth gmo trees. The slash that is left on the ground EVERYWHERE impales the animals as they are running..... Seen it too many times.

Also, I keep reading about bears in The Peoples back yards...... Most of those homes weren't there 10 years ago, or not that much longer than that. We are constantly destroying habitat; so of course the bears will be around.

I also read someone saying that it was un natural to have so many bears around like that, not healthy? I can't change that the fact the overall area We are at is an excellent environment for the bears........ wouldn't matter fed, or not they are their in mass.

Look at the OP, and I mentioned jerks calling in 20 hunters.... That has been a common fact around here for 20+ years...... Just lots of bears, and it is fairly open wilderness.

Also, kill, or be killed is what I keep reading; along with the law of Nature, and needing to take care of itself.

How can Mother Nature compete with Mankind??? I'll tell You, as You said,"kill, or be killed".

I firmly believe Mother Nature will unleash all sorts of disasters upon Man should We keep moving in a detached one track, one sided mind. Just look at all the disasters right on the brink.

The animals are of course warned, Scientists, or some of them have shown animals have extrasensory perception, and many times know to leave an area about to be hit.

Just my two pesos,

Sancho

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Good thread, Sancho.

I'll tell ya', I don't trust the damned bears. Not one bit.
There was a story in the news here not too long ago about how some campers left their camp to go fishing down on the river.
When they returned a black bear was passed out in the middle of their camp... DRUNK!

It had opened all of their beer and drank every one of them. More than 100 cans of beer!

So, screw the bears. They'd better not drink MY beer!

Seriously though, the intelligence of animals amazes me sometimes. Near where I live is a town called Eureka Springs, Arkansas.
This place is awesome.
If you walk some of the side-roads you'll often see deer grazing in peoples' yards. And like with you buddy's place, they know they are on safe ground and are almost FRIENDLY. You can walk right up to them and they are unafraid.
I still haven't had the gaul to pet one, but maybe some day...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The only thing your friend is doing for the bears and other wildlife is associating humans with food. This is dangerous for other humans and the animals alike. This will only result at some point in a dead or injured human or animal and the eventual prosecution of the parties involved.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by nonnez]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by thomasc83

If all hunting stopped now, the few natural predators left would not be enough to keep animal populations in check. The result could be devestating to those species. It could cause endangerment and even extinction just like over-hunting could.

I just gave you a star - because I agree with you

but I want to point out one thing - the part about if the hunting stopped -

when do we finally acknowledge either that hunting is a part of the natural balance - or that it isn't?

if you took it away - nature would correct itself - eventually

but it would balance itself according to the existing conditions - not the ideal conditions we have in our heads - the existing conditions

the natural world can appear to be a pretty harsh place from our point of view - but the things that disappear would disappear - naturally

even if it's a direct result of our interference - pro or con

so - hunting then is not any more natural than feeding the bears in my view - especially if you look at it as a method of maintenance and control

it is still something that is being decided and carried out by us - that wouldn't happen if you removed us from the equation

I'm going to say something unpopular - but it needs to be said - and I know you'll understand this

I actually support hunting in a crisis of over population

for one reason and one reason only - it's usually a direct result of human involvement - and the suffering of the wildlife that results is far more cruel than being shot

disease, starvation and injury are all slow, painful horrible ways to die

anyone who has ever seen a deer too weak to get itself out of a snowbank will understand what I'm saying

people tend to have this idea that in nature - things just lie down and go to sleep when they die - because we can't see it - and it doesn't involve us

the point I really want to make is this - our relationship with nature is changing - we can argue about it all we want - but it's done

it's never going to go back to the pristine ideal we hold in our heads - unless you remove us

it's why this situation doesn't bother me so much

12 years without any problems - it's a clue to the nature of this arrangement

it could change of course - but I think everyone is already aware of that

I apologize for bringing down the mood

[edit on 8/29/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

You are right. I agree with everything you say. I feel like as long as people continue to populate, move, and displace animal habitat for our own prgress, then hunting will be needed. I should have stated that in my original post.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nonnez

This thread keeps being pulled up; I'm glad People like the video. Now, I want opinions.

Is it right for Moose to have their legs cut off by the passing train, or the snowplow trucks to hit them, and kill'em in winter? it happens

Is it right that cars kill Moose, Bear, Deer, Elk, etc. in areas; which are natural habitat for these animals? it happens

What about the numerous times animals...........Bears get into trash; which is impossible to keep away from them; later to find a Bear starved to death because of a Gawd d$mn bucket stuck on it's head? it happens

Tell me, or my Friends to leave the Animals alone, or the next guy, but what about over all human populations???? it happens

Don't You see We all are not living in any sort of harmony of with Nature. We are so far lost from Nature I cannot even begin to describe. Answer all the questions I just laid out, and then We can discuss who's nutty, or who's hurting the wildlife, and Nature

[edit on 30-8-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

I agree with your point entirely.

People like to say to leave the animals alone because they deserve to be left alone. They deserve to have their own habitat.
But everywhere you look, people are already pushing inward on that habitat. The eventuality is that you either learn to coexist with the animals, or you drive them extinct - period.

There are no other options.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
reply to post by nonnez

This thread keeps being pulled up; I'm glad People like the video. Now, I want opinions.

Is it right for Moose to have their legs cut off by the passing train, or the snowplow trucks to hit them, and kill'em in winter? it happens

No! Not right.

Is it right that cars kill Moose, Bear, Deer, Elk, etc. in areas; which are natural habitat for these animals? it happens

No! Not right.

What about the numerous times animals...........Bears get into trash; which is impossible to keep away from them; later to find a Bear starved to death because of a Gawd d$mn bucket stuck on it's head? it happens

No! Not right.

Tell me, or my Friends to leave the Animals alone, or the next guy, but what about over all human populations???? it happens

Leave the Animals alone! (Next guy too!) Almost all human populations have a hugely negative effect on natural populations of wild animals.

Don't You see We all are not living in any sort of harmony of with Nature. We are so far lost from Nature I cannot even begin to describe. Answer all the questions I just laid out, and then We can discuss who's nutty, or who's hurting the wildlife, and Nature

Agreed, mankind has lost touch with nature, there are individuals who still live in harmony, but as a species - we've blown it, and Mother Nature may well soon bite back big-time, if we haven't already condemned ourselves with our own actions.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by thefreepatriot
Seriously it should be illegal to kill animals for "sport" its murder plain and simple

I hunt animals for food and so do most hunters (at least around here). That is not murder, it's survival. I would way rather eat wild natural meat than the processed stuff we get in the store. Plus, have you ever been to a slaughterhouse? It would make you sick how many animals they kill in a day.

If it makes you feel any better, I always try to place my shot in a spot where they die quickly and painlessly (most of the time, no one is perfect).

===============================================

To the OP. I have to say the fact that people call their local wildlife "vermin" kind of makes me want to vomit.

I for one never go out of my way to kill game I am not there for in the first place. If I am out there for a deer that is the only thing I kill. (Save for one time. I was forced to kill a wolf for my own safety. I had no choice.)

The story about the bears is really cool. I also live in bear country but never ever ever went any where near them. Always figured it was safer that way. They are predators after all lol.

I don't know if feeding them is such a great idea though. To me it seems like it would almost inhibit them from finding food naturally which would stunt their survival skills in the wild.

I still cant beleive people go out of their way to kill them. Sure I can understand getting a bear tag and going bear hunting at least once in my life, but promoting a slaughter?
People always seem to forget that it was their territory before it was ours. Those people need to learn some f'ing respect!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join