It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majic Of The Wilderness.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

My story here is about a neighbor of mine up in the sticks of Montana. Should anyone here know of it; please don't mention locations; as my Friend wants to be left alone. The Friend is my next door neighbor as the crow fly's down the mountain, and over the creek about 400 meters. In a nutshell he, and his elderly father feed all the wildlife; especially the bears. It's usually from the day old bakery in the next town over, but they feed them something, non the less.

Now, I'm going to break story line for the naysayers who say leave wildlife alone. I've spent close to 20 years up in those neck of the woods, and Man's idea of leaving the wildlife alone, only holds water on one front; that is not being kind, loving, or helpful to nature. I've known plenty of People who don't want any of the Natural Wildlife on their properties; so they'll call up 20 hunters who have bear tags/permits, or which ever tag, to come hunt the area out. In other words a hunter needing a good spot to hunt, will be called up by the jerk down the street, and then twenty hunters will hunt the area clean. Also, I'm near a grizzly corridor. I use the corridor a lot to hike. There are many People who feel the wolves, and Grizzly are vermin. I have been told countless times by many, many, many People they'd drop either a Grizzly, or Wolf where they stand, and only pull their bullets; leave the corpse to rot. (It's of this nature because it's a crime to kill them, and they Rangers will run ballistics on recovered rounds.) I have lost many acquaintances over this macho slip of humility; because I politely tell them in response, that I'd drop their butts in the very tracks, just as they did to the endangered animals.

Having that said, on with this wonderful story. My Friend, and his father have been feeding the wildlife for nearly 12 years. Up until that time his father was a champion long bow hunter; with many records. Around 12 years ago my Friend's mother fell ill. He, and especially his father made a vow, or oath with Mother Nature to never hurt, or kill another living creature again; just in hopes that his wife would live.

She did for another 5 years. My Friend, Tim, and his father have always kept that vow made long ago.

So, they feed all wildlife. Especially the Black Bears. It's really odd, but the bears know they are on safe ground. They have never bothered any neighbors; such as Yours truly, but they will show up in mass at my Friends home. In the peak of Summer around August to Early September, they'll have upwards of 25 bears literally all hanging out, and playing. The male, female, and cubs have no fear there at all. Each one of them play, and get along. Even the Momma bears will allow their cubs to move about with the larger dominant males. The whole time it is safe to walk out, and mingle with them as a Person. My Friend, Tim even likes to pour syrup out of a jug to the several cubs beneath. They will do little syrup dances of joy dancing in the sweet syrup. It's absolutely frickin amazing. Now, the show is primarily of bears, but moose, deer, and turkey come in at the same time...

It's really majical to see the whole affair. Again, they aren't nuisance bears, and this has been going on for nearly 12 years. The entire time my Friend, and his father have invited out tons of People on the down low, to partake in this wonder. They almost have all the food paid for through donations.

The important things that really stun me are: The bears recognize that specific property as a safe haven. In all that time the bears, or other wildlife have never become nuisance to other neighbors homes, vehicles, etc. Also, the fact that all the animals will come in, and simply get along right there on one little patch of ground. Finally the same bears should they be seen out in the wilderness KNOW to run. They KNOW most Man is there to kill them, but on my Friends property I can do what You see below. I can feed a wild bear without it having fear, and running........ Again, out in the wilderness I've run across these same bears, and they run.

***There is no domestication happening with any of these animals.***

The bear in the video is known as "Scar" as he has a nasty one from a fight. This video was taken in Early June. I am the "long hair" feeding him. Scar for the most part had just woken from hibernation, and wasn't all that big, or happy yet. I am out of the area right now, but I am told he's put on close to 150lbs since this video. Notice at the end, Scar sits down looking in the house. If You listen carefully, Tim states this is where the bear sits expecting the father to come out, feed, and give attention to them.

Enjoy,

-Sancho

The noise in the background is the large creek. Notice the bear is looking back behind me. Again, he just woke up, and the children play out in the creek every summer; they were scaring the bear. Again, in 12 years never any problems, or attacks from these bears.

p.s. as tribewilder pointed out these are wild critters, DISCLAIMER: Don't Do This At Home.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

CX

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What a great story, thanks for sharing it.

I'm sure there will be people who don't agree with it, but i think it is as magical as you make it sound.

CX.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
'comeEER Bear!' Priceless.

That's awesome Sancho. It was amazing watching that wild 'beast' eat the honeybun.

I saw a story about a guy in AK not too long ago...he was brought up on charges for feeding the bears that would come to his cabin...he had to put up an electric fence to make them stay away. He was heartbroken.

I like to eat a good steak, but I've never hunted...well since I killed that bird about twenty five years ago...I suppose that still makes me a bit of a hypocrite though.

It's such a shame that we have to kill everything.

Nice thread, Sancho.

I watched the video twice trying to see if I could see any locationally identifying landmarks....found none. Just use caution, my friend.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Awww Sancho....that was so cool....

I LOVE bears....and have always wanted to be up close to one and feed them.
Heck they might even like PIE..

Anyways, I think that its possible that bears don't always attack, and that they know when its a safe place to be. I don't know why some people think they need to shoot the bears thinking they are a nuisance. I don't think there is anything wrong with interacting with nature like that. Its so cool what your neighbors do.

what a cool story and video...

See, I told you that I read your threads......

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thats great. I always have thought that it would be great to end the Animal's fears of humans, and it looks like someon else has done it.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Hey thanks for reading, and Your welcome.

To the People that disagree; let them. What my neighbors are doing is absolutely magical. All the animals congregating, no fights, and return back to the wild once they leave the property. It blows me away.

reply to post by KSPigpen

I think they were honey buns, now that I'm thinking about it...
I see You like my bear call, eh? Yes, I practiced long nights on that baby!
You've got some good points. I like meat, but I don't go out, and hunt for sport as so many do. I just don't get the reasoning, but that's actually what my Friends used to do. The whole atmosphere there is really just amazing. Two well known ex hunters who have stopped, and now get every kind of creation imaginable coming in for dinner; all in peace, and still as wild as the day they were born. I really get a different over all feelign when I go there.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by notsosweet

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df0b4e7c524b.jpg[/atsimg]

There's an image, that can almost be framed, and not everyone can say they had a picnic with a bear.

reply to post by Phlynx

Hi,

Yes, exactly what You said is the reason I decided to post this. I think it shows that man can coexist with nature, and beautiful rewarding things can come of it.

Something for sure imho is going on with Mother Nature, the Animals, my Friends, and this property. It's so strange when put all together.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
thanks for that Sancho...

Its so nice to hear stories like this. Its a refreshing break from all the doom and gloom of the world nowadays.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

So, they feed all wildlife. Especially the Black Bears. It's really odd, but the bears know they are on safe ground. They have never bothered any neighbors; such as Yours truly, but they will show up in mass at my Friends home....It's absolutely frickin amazing.

there's a part of me that wants to launch into some kind of lecture about not feeding the wildlife...it's ingrained

but, you know what? there's several ways of looking at this

one way - that gets shoved aside most of the time (and here I'll say - not for no good reason) is that we are as much a part of nature as anything else

as long as you understand the rules

so far so good - one day one bear may have a little moment of fear and panic - and there goes the whole thing - plus a toddler

may never happen - I understand - hasn't so far :-)

but - that's natural - that's nature

It's really majical to see the whole affair.

you have no idea how much I would love to see this - I'm so glad you understand not to share any details with anyone

but I'm very envious - and that's the truth :-)

The important things that really stun me are: The bears recognize that specific property as a safe haven....Finally the same bears should they be seen out in the wilderness KNOW to run. They KNOW most Man is there to kill them, but on my Friends property I can do what You see below. I can feed a wild bear without it having fear, and running........ Again, out in the wilderness I've run across these same bears, and they run.

it's because there's a built in understanding of territory, timing and resources in nature

you've seen those films of many, many grizzlies all fishing and eating from the same waters during a run of salmon?

they know there's enough to go around - no fighting is necessary

but when they're down to roots and berries - no one gets to cross into another bear's territory - it's just the way it is

they know where there's safety and abundance

it is pretty cool - isn't it?

:-)

thanks for sharing this - made my day

hopefully many, many more years go by without incident - and nobody interferes

[edit on 8/28/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

OK, here we go...

No disrespect intended but are you thinking this through all the way?
The post I mean.

I have lived in black bear country my entire life.

The amount of bear bangers that I have wasted "saving" some fool who feeds a black bear and then says "all gone".

First off, the bear does not understand english, does not understand the "good intentions" of the tourist, and just wants the food they have put behind their back so they can feed another later.

I really would love to go to this place and be with the bears and think it's wonderful what has been done. It's just that someone might read this post, watch the video, and try it for themselves. I have witnessed the gruesome outcome in person a couple of times, and it ain't pretty.

The problem that I see here is there is no DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME disclaimer and someone is going to get one hell of a surprise if they try this on a wild animal, especially a black bear that shows no emotion in it's face even when attacking.

I mean no disrespect at all to you and think that it is wonderful what has been done in Montana. The same is done here in Northern Ontario in a few places, and as you say, in the wild, the same bears run away.

All I'm saying is, sometimes they don't.

All the Provincial parks up here have the famous don't feed the bears signs everywhere. The reason being if a nuisance bear has to be relocated, it is tagged. If it returns, it is killed. They are given one chance only, and that's sad as it is their country as much as mine. If they are fed, they remember this and return to the easy pickings and don't understand why one person will give them food and another won't.

The result's to property and person can be disastrous.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Ah sancho, I knew there was a good reason I liked ya. I;m envious too, all I can get is some titmice and chickadees to eat from my hand. I'd love to be there and check out the ambience sometime-I know how to behave around wild animals, promise! heh. My first vision quest ended with a visit by a black bear - needless to say they are very special animals to me.
Thanks for sharing that, my wife loved it too. Fatten up those bears good, they're gonna need it to get through that long Montana winter!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
AAWWWW........and I thought it was so awesome to be feeding our deer!!! I only wish i could actually get that close to a bear and feed it!! I never would though, I'm not that brave. I love seeing the deer walking out of the woods at all hours to come and eat. It's beautiful! We still get excited everytime we see the 14 point buck coming out. what a beauty. And the babies, gorgeous!!! No bear in my neck of the woods though. I loved your video. S&F

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

Hi,

there's a part of me that wants to launch into some kind of lecture about not feeding the wildlife...it's ingrained

but, you know what? there's several ways of looking at this

one way - that gets shoved aside most of the time (and here I'll say - not for no good reason) is that we are as much a part of nature as anything else

as long as you understand the rules

so far so good - one day one bear may have a little moment of fear and panic - and there goes the whole thing - plus a toddler

may never happen - I understand - hasn't so far :-)

but - that's natural - that's nature

Yes, rules of Nature apply here. I can see many arguments toward it being wrong. However, To see how the USFS auctions multi sections(640 acres, or 1 sq.mile) of land off to the forest companies, or on the forest land itself; the forest companies will come in, and with days have what used to be a dense forest clear cut down to stumps.

They leave much of the non usable parts where they lay. The limbs are bucked, and mostly left. The companies are supposed to burn in slash piles all the scrap, but usually make a half hearted attempt at clean up, and burn...... On that note many, many, many animals are impaled by the slash left laying around.

Also, in the efforts to maximize profit, the practice of replanting fast grow GMO trees is heavily used. These trees are extremely disrupting to the natural forest, and causes the loss of much habitat. These GMO forests are subject to severe plagues.

Considering all this it is hard for me to condemn anyone practicing something to help the displaced wildlife.

As You said, know the law of Nature. Speaking of toddlers, there are several well to do town folk who do bring out their toddlers.

you have no idea how much I would love to see this - I'm so glad you understand not to share any details with anyone

but I'm very envious - and that's the truth :-)

That's why I'm trying to share with everyone.

they know where there's safety and abundance

it is pretty cool - isn't it?

Absolutely, and yes it is!

I'm still getting to comments

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

No disrespect intended but are you thinking this through all the way?
The post I mean.

Yes, I took a long time in deciding to post it. People are always told to shy away from nature. We are force fed That We are not a part of it, but We are. I cannot expect the World to change overnight in the understanding of Nature, but one thing is extremely evident.

We in Our current stance are extremely harmful to Nature in many respects. I don't care where anyone lives, it's still Nature. Your living in the same place animals live. Unfortunately as from what I pointed out above in a comment We are constantly effecting Nature in devestating ways; through mis management. The forests are being mowed down for profit, and not replaced in the manner for proper regrowth, and nurturing of the animals.

No disrespect taken, You voiced some very good points.

The amount of bear bangers that I have wasted "saving" some fool who feeds a black bear and then says "all gone".

First off, the bear does not understand english, does not understand the "good intentions" of the tourist, and just wants the food they have put behind their back so they can feed another later.

Sure, I am know many bears become nuisances. Your 100% correct with everything You said. Again, We do interact on a very cold level; a ruthless, and vile level infact. We are taught nature is something separate, and that Mother Nature will take care of it's self.... In a healthy World, absolutely! However, We are destroying the habitat, and in turn that will destroy us, at some point with Mother Nature's fury...

The problem that I see here is there is no DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME disclaimer and someone is going to get one hell of a surprise if they try this on a wild animal, especially a black bear that shows no emotion in it's face even when attacking.

Point taken, and I added a disclaimer. I knew full well, as do my friends, and All that visit there is a risk, but that is the Law of Nature as the Poster above You pointed out.

We all are part of it. For example, The US Bill of Rights simply puts on paper in an enumerated manner the same Rights You receive in Nature.

All the Provincial parks up here have the famous don't feed the bears signs everywhere. The reason being if a nuisance bear has to be relocated, it is tagged. If it returns, it is killed. They are given one chance only, and that's sad as it is their country as much as mine. If they are fed, they remember this and return to the easy pickings and don't understand why one person will give them food and another won't.

Hey, You've done a great job with Your points. Again, as I pointed out in the OP. We all live in the equivelant of Natures den, or living room. People don't respect it in many regards. I have been privy to many People walking into the local Feed Store, and asking for something to kill the Deer, and other animals with, as they are ruining their flowers....Yes, not garden, but flowers.

Same thing goes for the jerks that call up 20 hunters to hunt out their property....Why can they not see they are the ones who are trespassing on something that was there eons before they?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
At my cabin we have the same laws

we will feed, not harm, as long as the cabin is left alone

mess with the cabin all bets off

especially the human ones

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Hey I am happy to share. Like I said above it took me a good while before doing so. The film was actually from mid June. I have kept it that long, and didn't know whether to post it, or not. I do this with many topics. Like waiting for a sign maybe. Donno, but thanks again!

reply to post by j.r.c.b.

Hey, thanks again. I really enjoyed the experience. I've been privy to this for a while, and had I been up there right now would be posting more footage; when they are all there....Including the other animals. Nothing quite like seeing a turkey, and bear eating from the same bread loaf

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Thank-You for your response.

I was worried that you would take offense when none was intended as I enjoy your posts (always well written and thought out) and didn't want to derail your thread.

I just felt I had to speak my mind in this case.

We see things the same especially when it comes to nature.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

Those Human critters better be watching out for the flowers!!!
I like it!

reply to post by tribewilder

I was worried that you would take offense when none was intended as I enjoy your posts (always well written and thought out) and didn't want to derail your thread.

I just felt I had to speak my mind in this case.

We see things the same especially when it comes to nature.

All Your points were great, and very very valid. ATS is lucky to have someone who can verbalize their thoughts as well as You did.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Awesome

Second line....

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

malformed video ID...oh well

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join