It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'N Korean arms for Iran' seized by UAE'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

'N Korean arms for Iran' seized by UAE'

www.ft.com

The United Arab Emirates has seized a ship secretly carrying embargoed North Korean arms to Iran, say diplomats.

The interception comes at a sensitive time. North Korea has invited the US for bilateral talks on nuclear issues and the UN Security Council’s western members are pressing for greater Iranian co-operation over its nuclear programme.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[mod edit: title to remove excessive *s]

[edit on 28-8-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
"The UAE has reported the seizure of the vessel to the UN sanctions committee responsible for vetting the implementation of measures, including an arms embargo, imposed against North Korea under Security Council resolution 1874, according to diplomats in New York. The committee, chaired by Turkey, has made no formal announcement about the case.

Diplomats at the UN identified the vessel as the Bahamian-flagged ANL-Australia. The vessel was seized some weeks ago. The UN sanctions committee has written to the Iranian and North Korean governments pointing out that the shipment puts them in violation of UN resolution 1974."

Uh-oh Spagettioh's!!

www.ft.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
This is a very serious amount of Crap, falling directly toward a 2,000 horsepower fan.

I really don't want to be involved in any kind of WWIII super doom scenario.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
So what does this mean?

All these prophecies of war with N Korea AND Iran are coming true?

Or have people known about this for a while and let it slip under the radar so to speak until it is time?

Sanctions pehaps?

I'm not too clued up but maybe somebody could enlighten me, it does sound serious.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Well I think it is some sort of U.N. violation. We used a U.N. violation as a pretext to invade Iraq. Which is scary as the only way out of our economic situation is a long bloody war.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It means that the diametrically opposed systems of communism and islamo-fascism buddy-up in their hatred of what America represents.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
It means that the diametrically opposed systems of communism and islamo-fascism buddy-up in their hatred of what America represents.

Yep, your enemy's, enemy is your friend. I feel that a line has been drawn in the sand. It's getting pretty obvious who are going to be the players in this one, and it scares the s*** out of me.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by downtown436]

[edit on 28-8-2009 by downtown436]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If past recent history is any guide we should expect a rather firey rant by crazy little Kim sometime soon vowing doom upon basically the rest of the world.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

It scares the crap out of me too.

You're not alone there.

Makes you wonder how much of it is engineered thought, orchestrated perhaps by some traitorous , greedy bastards controlling the drug, oil, weapons trades making it all happen.

Oh well they gonna get a good kicking from karma that's for sure.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
If past recent history is any guide we should expect a rather firey rant by crazy little Kim sometime soon vowing doom upon basically the rest of the world.

I am more afraid of what is about to happen with Iran. Little kimmy knows that we can't invade N. Korea, and we will just nuke the b-jesus out of him, and i don't think he wants that.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
reply to post by downtown436

It scares the crap out of me too.

You're not alone there.

Makes you wonder how much of it is engineered thought, orchestrated perhaps by some traitorous , greedy bastards controlling the drug, oil, weapons trades making it all happen.

Oh well they gonna get a good kicking from karma that's for sure.

I am pretty sure it is about 100% engineered. Military Industrial Complex doesn't make any money by not making bombs.

MIC does the best when combat losses are present, so they can constantly replace destroyed equipment too.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well - Kim will rant of course. Iran will likely deny everything.

My best guess. Maybe more sanctions and maybe more monitoring will be outcome.

We (the US) are just now out trying to get out of Iraq and that will likely take more time. Meanwhile, Afghanistan is proving to be just as nasty for us as it has been for any army that has set foot in there for centuries. Hopefully wiser heads will prevail and realize we would be very hard pressed to handle another front.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Well - Kim will rant of course. Iran will likely deny everything.

My best guess. Maybe more sanctions and maybe more monitoring will be outcome.

We (the US) are just now out trying to get out of Iraq and that will likely take more time. Meanwhile, Afghanistan is proving to be just as nasty for us as it has been for any army that has set foot in there for centuries. Hopefully wiser heads will prevail and realize we would be very hard pressed to handle another front.

You are certainly right about the Jongill rant!

Hopefully this doesn't erupt into chaos, I have some friends in Seoul.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Sounds like a setup.

How would they know exactly where the cargo is headed?

Seems like it was meant to be found in order to cause some chaos. North Korea, or whoever, didn't have to actually fire any missle... they just load them on a boat and send them in the general direction to stir up some s***.

Edit: Haven't yet seen any other news reports to confirm FT's report.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by dzonatas]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by dzonatas
Haven't yet seen any other news reports to confirm FT's report.

LA Times

Chicago Tribune

Connecticut Post

Sun-Sentinal

Mercury News

Etc. Etc.

But they are all the same article
written by the Same Author
from the Associated Press.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This is likely one little shipment, just like the small percentage of drugs stopped coming into the US from Mexico. Why would we think anything else from these people? The other thing is; why does Iran need 'crap' from Korea? That would likely be to hide it's origin. But whatever. More than likely to resell for profit themselves. Like to Palestinians?
as if they can afford a higher price.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
In an update of this story, Reuters has added the following line.

* Countries linked include Australia, France, Italy, China

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source

What do you think this means? I hope, just for the sake of the world, that it doesn't mean that this nations where in on any deal as well. Especially since three of those four are allies, and China is, well, someone the US needs at the moment. I guess time will tell.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
AP did confuse us at first since it actually took place Aug 14th, or at least the original report was said sent two weeks ago.

* Arms included rocket launchers, detonators, RPGs

* Seizure of shipment took place on Aug. 14

So the update doesn't list a nuke above. This look like one of those setups found earlier this year.

Probably goes to highest bidder... yet to be determined. (Notice how the report cites activity with NK companies.)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Either way, this is still a really odd seizure.

...seizure took place in the UAE, but not the shipping hub of Dubai...

The green line is the approximate 12 mile territorial sea boundary along the coasts.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fa45b1ed22fe.png[/atsimg]

Territorial waters, or a territorial sea, as defined by the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea[1], is a belt of coastal waters extending at most twelve nautical miles from the baseline (usually the mean low-water mark) of a coastal state. The territorial sea is regarded as the sovereign territory of the state, although foreign ships (both military and civilian) are allowed innocent passage through it; this sovereignty also extends to the airspace over and seabed below.

Though some other nations claim different distances... Both Iran and the U.A.E. claim 12 miles.

So... If you are smuggling... and since you are so close to your destination... why would you venture into U.A.E. waters... especially since the U.A.E. is known for being congenial with the West?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436

I am more afraid of what is about to happen with Iran. Little kimmy knows that we can't invade N. Korea, and we will just nuke the b-jesus out of him, and i don't think he wants that.

Do you think that is a mature and civilized way to approach the situation "nuke the....out of them"? Do you understand that when you make comments like the above that you justify small countries need to part of the nuclear club? Self defense is needed when 'failing superpowers' are threatening your sovereignty.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join