It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban on robocalls takes effect on Tuesday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Ban on robocalls takes effect on Tuesday

www.cnn.com

Starting Tuesday, many "robocalls" from telemarketers will be illegal.

A new ban on automated telemarketing calls goes into effect Tuesday.

Businesses that try to push products on consumers with automated and unsolicited calls will face fines of up to $16,000 per call, according to the Federal Trade Commission.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I like it.

I must say, that I'm very aggravated when my phone rings and I pick it up only to have a pre-recorded message, trying to sell me something.

I have no problem with telemarketing, none what so ever, as long as it's a live human being talking to me.

I look at it like this, if a live person is calling, at least it's someone working, trying to make a living.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
And this I'm sure will go as unenforced as the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991, the Do Not Call Registry, and the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003!

Tens of thousands of violations of all of these have been reported to the FCC and only a dozen have ever been charged for committing violations. Still, unsolicited phone calls while on the Do Not Call Registry still plague Americans, and tons of unsolicited Spam still clog everyone's Inbox.

It is good to pass laws such as these, however, forgive my optimism when the Federal Agencies that are mandated with enforcing them are too inept to do such.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Thank gawd!!! They must be upping their efforts before then because I have gotten 7 robocalls on my cell today.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

I don't get them on my cell. Only at home and even then, not a lot of them. Maybe 1-2 a week.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is good news i had no idea that there were any plans for to do this.
I get about 12 robot calls a day i think everyone of them wake up the baby. Now if i could only stop all the calls.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
one would think they would enforce such laws. More revenue for the government, and we all know they could sure use the extra right about now.

new topics

top topics

join