It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

unusual liform on beach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Allonby beach,this creature washed up on the beach thought you guys might enjoy.
www.timesandstar.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This is a very cool looking thing! I wouldn't have wanted to stumble upon that walking on the beach at night!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Wow, thats weird

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c2940bedb56.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cc418fe547a2.jpg[/atsimg]

Looks to me like a plant that is home to hundreds of crustacions??

-E-

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
According to the article linked in the OP it is hunk of driftwood with lots and lots of goose barnacles attached to it.

Still pretty cool looking though..

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Yea, its a goose barnacle. Pretty cool though

Goose barnacles (order Pedunculata), also called stalked barnacles or gooseneck barnacles, are filter-feeding crustaceans that live attached to hard surfaces of rocks and flotsam in the ocean intertidal zone.
Wiki

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7ba57a815273.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef61a62b3767.jpg[/atsimg]

Pictures from: DailyMail

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
yes it seems like it look at this

picture

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Completely natural and very creepy and scary looking. If I saw that on the beach id be a little nervous

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

That......is......nasty.
I'm sorry, I know that sounds immature...but it is pretty gross.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Why don't they throw it back into the sea?

Give the poor bugger a figthing chance...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

ew. I'd be afraid to touch it. I think it's on a hunk of driftwood anyway.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
mmmmm

Those are actually good to eat. You boil them and there's some edible meat in the neck. If your in an area where the water is clean (away from towns and cities) they are pretty tasty.

gooseneck barnacles

TMH۞

[edit on 28-8-2009 by TheMadHatter]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMadHatter
mmmmm
Those are actually good to eat. You boil them and there's some edible meat in the neck. If your in an area where the water is clean (away from towns and cities) they are pretty tasty.
TMH۞

...whats their cooked texture similar to?... scallops?... clams?...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

...whats their cooked texture similar to?... scallops?... clams?...

Its been a while but they taste better than clams. The texture is sort of like scallops.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

How cool! I would love to find something like this! It's kind of surprising (at least to me) that something that normally lives deep in the ocean can survive outside the ocean... assuming it's still alive anyway... kind of looks like it to me.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Well, I'd try any food once. I'd probably give these a taste, cant be worse than snails!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Whenever we talk about eating our identified post-cryptids, part of me dies a little bit inside.

Golly I sure do love Marine Biology. I do think throwing them back would be a good idea, but different things wash up in the tides often. Usually the tides eventually wash them back out, if they've died by then they provide food for other species.

They're filter feeding crustaceans. How is that gross? It's awesome. Crustaceans are awesome. And these guys are actually like fifth cousins to spiders. Arthropods are so diverse!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Whenever we talk about eating our identified post-cryptids, part of me dies a little bit inside.

Golly I sure do love Marine Biology. I do think throwing them back would be a good idea, but different things wash up in the tides often. Usually the tides eventually wash them back out, if they've died by then they provide food for other species.

They're filter feeding crustaceans. How is that gross? It's awesome. Crustaceans are awesome. And these guys are actually like fifth cousins to spiders. Arthropods are so diverse!

Sounds to me like we've got a vegetarian LOL. Not very healthy, but I respect it I guess. Btw people have a right to there opinion, and I agree they're kinda gross looking. We can't all find beauty in imaginary places. Anyways, this isn't even a post cryptid, it was never unidentified on this site. It's obvious what it is.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Maj35t1cI2

It's a cryptid until it's correctly identified by a member of this site in a post, in my eyes. It's in the cryptid section of this forum. And even seemingly easy species for ME to identify, like the 6 Gill Shark, have had tons of debate in threads. So, really, it's kind of ignorant to go "Well, that's so obvious." I say that about most fauna that I see, ever. But not everybody knows that. If someone says "This is unusual, what is it?" it's proper to give a thorough answer and open it for discussion at the same time.

Even though it was easy to identify, it's good practice for other people to figure it out for themselves. Having a zoology major (me) do it for them isn't much fun.

I also never said they were beautiful, I said they were awesome and interesting. I think some diseases are awesome and interesting though, so don't listen to me.

I'm not a vegetarian because I get anemic when I try, I weigh 92 lbs. I only eat free range, no hormone, organic meats and poultry when I can, and species of fish which aren't overfished. Otherwise I eat what I can get.

So, um, no.

[edit on 9/1/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMadHatter
mmmmm

gooseneck barnacles

TMH۞

uhhh waht part of that worm with a shell do you consider a neck?

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maj35t1cI2

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

Sounds to me like we've got a vegetarian LOL. Not very healthy, but I respect it I guess. Btw people have a right to there opinion, and I agree they're kinda gross looking. We can't all find beauty in imaginary places. Anyways, this isn't even a post cryptid, it was never unidentified on this site. It's obvious what it is.

healthier than you.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by Gemwolf]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join