It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist: Pope Was Right About AIDS, Affirms Abstinence, Fidelity More Effective than Condoms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Scientist: Pope Was Right About AIDS, Affirms Abstinence, Fidelity More Effective than Condoms

www.ewtn.com

RIMINI, Italy, AUG. 27, 2009 (Zenit.org).- The director of Harvard's AIDS Prevention Research Project is affirming that Benedict XVI's position was right in the debate on AIDS and condoms. Edward Green stated this in an address at the 30th annual Meeting for Friendship Among Peoples in Rimini, sponsored by the lay movement, Communion and Liberation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
This article is dedicated to all the pope haters that were bashing him and insulting his intelligence a while back when he made a statement about condoms not working when trying to prevent aids. Even now scientists are backing him up. I was surprised how people are so ready to judge somebody without knowing all the facts themselves.

www.ewtn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   

This article is dedicated to all the pope haters that were bashing him and insulting his intelligence a while back when he made a statement about condoms not working when trying to prevent aids. Even now scientists are backing him up.

Duh, of course absintance will HELP prevent the spread of AIDS, but lets face it the pope has a belief system and attitudes towards society that really belongs back int he middle ages when the church was burning people at the stake :shk:

As if the ramblings of this tired old man is enough. The bottom line?: people are going to have sex. Its really that simple. By preventing the use of condoms the church with thier "Breed like rabbits" policy for its followers are more responsable for the AIDS epidemic that anybody else IMHO

Global Catholic Network as a source
Maybe I should get smoking info from the tobacco Institute

[edit on 8/28/09 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

This article is dedicated to all the pope haters that were bashing him and insulting his intelligence a while back when he made a statement about condoms not working when trying to prevent aids. Even now scientists are backing him up.

Duh, of course absintance will HELP prevent the spread of AIDS, but lets face it the pope has a belief system and attitudes towards society that really belongs back int he middle ages when the church was burning people at the stake :shk:

As if the ramblings of this tired old man is enough. The bottom line?: people are going to have sex. Its really that simple. By preventing the use of condoms the church with thier "Breed like rabbits" policy for its followers are more responsable for the AIDS epidemic that anybody else IMHO

Global Catholic Network as a source
Maybe I should get smoking info from the tobacco Institute

[edit on 8/28/09 by FredT]

I'm not doing this just to bash religion, though I do think it's a SCOURGE upon the Earth.

But this man, FredT, makes a good series of points.

Yes, it may turn out that not having sex with anybody or only with your loving wife may NOT spread AIDS at an alarming rate. But that is still not going to stop everyone from having sex, didn't stop Sarah Palin's daughter, and it's not going to stop the spread of sexual diseases either, AIDS will continue with the Pope's plan.

The truth is, we need to be very careful who we bone in this day and age.

Abstinence is good, if you are into that, but if not at least don't sleep around unprotected with others and then bring it back to your bedroom at night and your unsuspecting wife.

Using condoms is a great way to protect people, for the Pope to say it's a bad idea, is in itself, a bad idea. Religion wants it's rules to be better than those of man, it's a form of control.

Oh well I am becoming enraged at religion, so now I will go, but FredT's words remain valid!

VALID!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Gee lets all give it up for science. They agree that abstinence is better than a condom...

Nothing a grade 6 student couldn't say, but so what.

The issue is that people are still going to have sex. And if they are going to have sex they are better off using a condom. Again something any 6th grader could have summized.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
LOL

Of course not putting tab A into slot B is better than putting A into B with covering C.

The point is, abstinence is not REALISTIC. CONDOMS ARE!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This is beyond idiotic...

The point is if you are going to have sex, then it's safer with a condom.

Period.

And "pope haters", seriously?

Have you seen him? That guy just radiates evil.

[edit on 28-8-2009 by MrVertigo]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This just in!!

NOT smoking cigarettes is more effective at preventing lung cancer than smoking LIGHT cigarettes.

Holy-let's-state-the-obvious-and-get-our-paid-for-scientists-to-back-it-up, batman!

Seriously? No, really....seriously?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I don't remember anyone saying that condoms are better than abstenance for preventing AIDS.....

It's absolutely rediculous to say that. Of course not getting into a vehicle is more effective for preventing auto accidents, than just wearing a seat belt.

The Pope didn't have an ephinany, he used logic, something rare enough in the catholic church.

What people were arguing about is reality. People have sex, wearing a condom reduces the chance of contracting AIDS more than not wearing a condom.

Silly....

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
As a recovering Catholic, I can say the Pope has a serious problem with understanding human nature. The urge to reproduce is among the most basic of biological drives. The Catholic church has much to offer the world. All I ask is for you to read between the lines...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I think if cars are banned, we'll have a major reduction in accident-related deaths. And, I hate seat belts. They are ungodly.

Now where is my Noble prize for such depth of thought...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
A british comedian said " As if im going to listen to person who never has sex ,tell me how to have sex "

Of course abstinence from sex will reduce the number catching HiV/AiDS through sex, the same as never climbing the stairs will result in never falling down the stairs.

bit of a downer if you need to use the bathroom though...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The pope does not speak for all Christians.

I was raised a Methodist and we know about the birds and bees and find it a natural thing.

May I suggest using two condom? That might help.

I told both my children when they were teenagers to always use a condom if they ever even thought about doing the nasty.

I let them know I did not approve of sex before marriage but being a single mom that was a hard idea to sell.

Don't make babies and don't catch anything soap won't wash off if you must have sex.

Condoms

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I have to wonder how many priests now have AIDS and other STDs besides kids with the nuns. Abstinence from condoms?

Kinda reminds me of Smith; " More!!" ....souls to harvest and the devils advocate.

It had been said that condoms were more protective than they probably were and do seem to give people a false sense of security. But all they need is a couple drinks and its........

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by nuclearman
This article is dedicated to all the pope haters that were bashing him and insulting his intelligence a while back when he made a statement about condoms not working when trying to prevent aids.

If you can't see how you, and the pope, are saying something a bit different to the 'scientist' you quote, then I don't know what to tell you.

Of COURSE not having sex at all is better, but the implication was that using a condom is no better than not using a condom - which is utter crap.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It doesn't take much intelligence to figure that one out. This doesn't prove the intelligence of the pope. It only proves that he continues to perpetuate the catholic stance on birth control...which is abstain or have 100 kids.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
These two articles explain much better exactly what the good Doctor meant. Both are written by him btw.

www.thelancet.com...

www.washingtonpost.com...

You'll have to register to read the Lancet article but it's free and open to anyone.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Hehe...

You know, Kent Hovin have said a long time the MEAT creates cancer for the simple reason that humans are not intended to eat meat.
As in the days of Noah ...

Wait...
There, found it ...

Guardian
Scientists warn consumption of processed meat linked to cancer.

Consuming less red meat and processed meat like bacon, cutting down on alcohol and eating plenty of fruit, vegetables and fibre can help prevent bowel cancer. Photograph: Getty

A dramatic fall in the consumption of processed meat such as bacon and ham would stop around 3,700 people a year from developing bowel cancer, scientists warn today.

Professor Martin Wiseman, scientific and medical adviser to the World Cancer Research Fund, said: "The evidence on processed meat is convincing and our scientists estimate that up to about 3,700 cases of bowel cancer could be prevented every year in the UK if everyone ate less than 70g of processed meat a week, which is roughly the equivalent of three rashers of bacon."

According to the WCRF, people should ideally eat no processed meat at all in order to minimise their cancer risk.

Bowel cancer is the third most common cancer in the UK. Around 36,500 people, 45% of whom are women, are diagnosed with it annually. Half die within five years. It is the second most lethal cancer, in terms of numbers, claiming around 16,000 lives each year. It is also the second most common form of cancer affecting women.

Although alcohol, obesity and physical inactivity also cause bowel cancer, growing scientific evidence has identified consumption of red and processed meat as a risk factor. Cancer Research UK recently warned that the number of people diagnosed was likely to rise to 46,000 a year by 2024. The charity said consuming less red and processed meat, cutting down on alcohol, staying slim and eating plenty of fibre, fruit and vegetables could prevent as many as 12,000 cases a year by 2024.

Now, this is polished some by stating 'processed' meat, but it also say : vegetables help prevent cancer !!!

As in the days of Noah, when we did not eat meat ..

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Mike, I like your signature.... It makes me think about something I watched once, that is in line with the topic of this thread.

Didn't Monty Python once have a scetch about an Irish Catholic Family with a BOATLOAD of children. There was a song within the skit, poking fun at the Church's stand on birth control being the reason for the couple having so many damn kids. The name of the song was, if I remember correctly....

"Every Sperm is Sacred"...

[edit on 28-8-2009 by uaocteaou]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by uaocteaou

Fantastic!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join