It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Contact Lenses will display text and images!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

For Your Eye Only

An emerging generation of high-tech contact lenses will add images and meaning to ordinary vision. Tiny LEDs built into lenses will project images in front of users wearing the lenses, allowing them to see labels and text, as Arnold Schwarzenegger did in the Terminator movies, or navigational cues with arrows projected in front of them. Tiny biomedical sensors may sample the tear film on the eye to keep tabs on wearers' health. Small solar cells will harvest power to run the electronics built into each lense. Sounds too far-fetched to be true? Babak Parviz, a professor at the University of Washington, explains how he's building electronically enhanced contact lenses to bring this vision into reality.

Source

While this is sure to be extremely cool, it will also pose new dangers.
Imagine all the car wrecks caused by people watching youtube or movies while driving. Or students having all the answers to tests and exams...damn I wish we had these back in the day!

Will it be a blessing and curse, what do you think?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Neat. But I think you're right. This will eventually cause some distraction related accidents..., on the other hand, think of the multitasking capabilities!

Reading a book on the train, checking weather and news while being forced to sit through some theatrical event. Checking facts during a hearing. It does seem like a step forward.

Great find!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

I think the pros outweight the cons! Military pilots are able to function with heads up displays and large amounts of information in front of them, so I don't think it will adversely affect drivers. There are already plenty of people driving around with TV screens playing in their dash, at least this way they can keep their eyes on the road!

It also reminds me of the Singularity we are approaching fast! Imagine all the information of mankind via the internet, readily disposable in your eyeball! You could potentially have the answers to all your questions in microseconds, and you would basically function as a superhuman! You could know everything all the time!

One step closer to being completely biometric. A little unsettling, but very exciting!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The 1st thing that I thought of was subliminal messaging, imagine a hacked hacked what you could see and sent you subliminal messages through out the day, how long do you think it would take till you would realize and how far would the hacked be able to influence what you did

new topics

top topics

join