It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democracy a fraud in afghanistan, Taliban will win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Afghanistan's Electoral Complaints Commission has received more than 2,000 complaints of fraud or abuse in last week's disputed presidential election, with 270 now listed as serious enough to affect the result

www.reuters.com...

This completely undermines, in the eyes of the afghan people, the western backed government of hamid karzai or any other afghan leader it decides to choose. This is very good news for Mullah Omar and the Afghan taliban. This will drive the people to support the taliban because they see the western backed government as warlord crooks and cheats, which they most definatly are. The United States will go down in history as the Third Empire to fail in the mountains and deserts of Afghanistan.. "The Graveyard of Empires"...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It will be curious to see what happens here. I expect there are not just frauds involved, but intimidation of voters that will be much harder to detect.

However, I believe your title "Taliban will win" is potentially a little misleading, unless you mean because of their violence they will 'win'. From reading the article, it doesn't appear they are running a candidate, or if they are, he is irrelevant to the fraud.

The two major candidates mentioned are Hamid Karzai and Abdullah Abdullah.

Abdullah is not Taliban:

During the Taliban era, Abdullah was one of the few English speaking people in the so-called Northern Alliance, the anti-Taliban movement

en.wikipedia.org...

Still, the fact they have some form of voting, and also a complaints procedure is a good sign in my view, hopefully things can only get better from here.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
maybe i wasnt clear enough, all this fraud, intimidation etc de-ligitmizes the current afghan government in the eyes of the people.. which will drive the people to support the taliban... "democracy doesnt work" "these guys are crooks, criminals, warlords" "america and the west support these criminals?" the people will be driven to support local afghans instead, local afghans who are the resistance... the resistance who is, the taliban..

new topics

join