It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invitation to Elfland

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Elves and fairies are usually considered to be part of our folkloric and literary heritage, not creatures we might actually meet. MOYRA DOORLY certainly thought so until, living on a Scottish Island, she had a series of unnerving encounters with the Little People. Illustrations by John Buerling.

Tinkerbell has a lot to answer for, as have the gossamer winged creations that flutter among the flowers in children�s story-books and the saccharine- coated characters of Walt Disney films. All these have played a part in relegating fairies to the realm of whimsy, which is why contemporary folklorists, Pagans and those who claim to have seen them avoid using the word. Instead the term �faery� is preferred, or �elfin race�, or �longaevi� � anything but fairy.

As someone who belongs to the third category and claims to have seen them, I prefer �nature spirits� for two reasons. Firstly, because in all my encounters with them I saw nothing resembling Tinkerbell, (although my partner at the time claims to have seen some very small sylph-like beings flitting among the flowers on a hot summer afternoon) and secondly, because this term has a distancing effect � which for someone who was actually invited to go and live in Elfland and turned down the offer, is a necessary safeguard. For they have the power to enchant, which is where their danger lies.

more at www.forteantimes.com...

and was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with this kind of phenonmenom personally?

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Yes, I have experience of the Pixies. From Cornwall, Devon, Somerset and farther afield I have sensed them and even seen them at times. This of course explains my interest and the title above my avatar.

Despite the insistence of Hollywood to the contrary, pixies are not tiny gossamer-winged faeries that flit around the woodlands and flower beds in the style of Tinkerbell. That particular type of fae is not a pixy, but a Pillywiggin or Flower faery. As well as appearing in Disney's "Peter Pan", they have most recently been seen in the movie "Fairytale", which purports to explain the story of the "Cottingley Fairies". However, Pillywiggins are not the reason for this essay, being mentioned here merely in order to explain that despite current trends, they are not the same as pixies.

The word "Pixie" is often used incorrectly as a generic term for all British and American faery folk, with books, movies and even computer games compounding the error - just enter the words "Pixy" or "Pixie" in an internet search engine and see what you get. Actually, the name should be spelt "Pixy", with the plural being "Pixies", although it has now become commonplace to spell it either way. In Cornwall, the word Pisky is used, which is a corruption of "Pixy". In the rest of the West Country of England, as in most of the English-speaking world, the word Pixy is used, although they are sometimes called Grigs or Dusters in East Anglia. Pixies are sometimes also known as Pisgies, Pechts, Pechs, and Pickers.

The original pixies were the little aboriginal folk who inhabited the barrows and cromlechs, and whose cunning - their only effective weapon against the strength of the Aryan invader - earned them a reputation for magical powers. Over the years these peoples also became linked with the pagan belief in nature sprites, and the two beliefs merged, giving us the pixy we know today. Remains of ancient dwellings, half sunken in the ground give us an idea as to why the pixies were believed to live in the underworld, when you consider that when fully built, they resembled a small hill. When seeing a pixy entering and leaving from the smoke hole in the roof, it is understandable how a passing traveller could mistake them as beings from the underworld. In fact the word "Pixy" is believed to derive from "Pict" - early inhabitants of Scotland who lived in similar dwellings.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
How do you sense them? And what was your experience?

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I only see my relatives on the solstaces and beltaine. They never invite me back to elf land.

Maybe thats why Im so evil.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkAngel
How do you sense them? And what was your experience?

I have seen pixies in woodland near where I used to live. They are very elusive and you only get to see them for a split second before they are off. Its the same with sensing them. And you can sometimes hear them giggling (a bit like the laughing kitten
)

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   
To Pixy: What do you see if you see pixies. I have posted about a true sighting of a water creature from 1992/ with a wittness who at the time was a complete
skeptic until she saw what i saw, and is affraid to talk about it to this day. and i have recieved mostly jokes about it and ridicule,and sarcasim.
It would seem to me that Pixies would be even harder to fathom for people, have you recieved the same ridicule as me?. My other question is their domain mainly in England,Finland, Ireland, and the british isles
where do you think they are maybe from another dimention.
We dont have any lore about these creatures in Canada,or north America that i am aware of but it does not rule out the possibility(what the heck are they, what do they LOOK like)
Parker

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by parker]

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by parker]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
You guys are on some real good drugs....theres alot of stuff on this site that weird...but i believe this post takes the cake...you hear them giggling?...lol...sorry...but im finding this highly amusing...

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Im thinking the woman is insane! Little people talking to her or whatever? Doesnt sound normal to me.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkAngel
Pagans and those who claim to have seen them avoid using the word. Instead the term �faery� is preferred, or �elfin race�, or �longaevi� � anything but fairy.

As someone who belongs to the third category and claims to have seen them, I prefer �nature spirits� for two reasons. Firstly, because in all my encounters with them I saw nothing resembling Tinkerbell, (although my partner at the time claims to have seen some very small sylph-like beings flitting among the flowers on a hot summer afternoon) and secondly, because this term has a distancing effect � which for someone who was actually invited to go and live in Elfland and turned down the offer, is a necessary safeguard. For they have the power to enchant, which is where their danger lies.

You were...invited...to Elfland?

I bet this poster is a huge elf/faery fan. It would explain why she is interjecting herself into all of this fantastic nonsense.

It's sort of like diehard alien fans creating abduction experiences for themselves so they can be a more important part of their beliefs and fantasies. Or a bigfoot fan claiming to have seen bigfoot. Humans feel the need to belong and this sometimes drives them to become part of their fantasies even at the cost of looking crazy. In other cases this kind of nonsense is a cry for attention...you see, anybody can BELIEVE in a faery but if YOU SEE ONE...you're special indeed...right?

I'm not sure whether this is just a simple case of obsession or a cry for attention but either way it comes off kind of lame.

[Edited on 5-18-2004 by Preest]

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I mean, I've seen Faeries in areas of higher energy. I can feel them there, and I can see them sometimes. Just because many of you havn't expirienced such things doesn't mean itls not possible. And this isn't really the message board to knock anyone's ideas and beliefs. And with Faeries, it's more likely to see/hear/feel them because they are everywhere and such. But this is all just the belief of a me, some 14 year old girl who no longer has an imgination due to having a hard life.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
SOME TIMES IF A DRNK ENOUGH I CAN HEAR THE VOICES IN MY HEAD

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Yes, faeries and pixies do exist. I've never seen a pixie, but once caught sight of a tiny little flower faery. It was gorgeous. I was about eight and have never forgotten it.

I have sensed them about, usually at certain times of the day. I feel at peace when they are around and believe that they will not enter a place of negativity.

And BasementAddix, I have never used any drugs (unless you count coffee of course
)

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by parker
To Pixy: What do you see if you see pixies. I have posted about a true sighting of a water creature from 1992/ with a wittness who at the time was a complete
skeptic until she saw what i saw, and is affraid to talk about it to this day. and i have recieved mostly jokes about it and ridicule,and sarcasim.
It would seem to me that Pixies would be even harder to fathom for people, have you recieved the same ridicule as me?.

I haven't received much ridicule with regards Pixies at all. Most people I talk with about them have many questions. A few have spoken scornfully but what the hell - it just means they will get more of a shock if/when they see one.

I can understand your friend's reluctance to speak, however, since unless you are prepared for scorn and ridicule, it can cause problems. Personally, I know what I saw/sensed and if people don't want to believe me, then they don't have to. If they call me a nutter or eccentric then too bad. It doesn't change me and it doesn't change what I experienced.

As for where they are - Cornwall obviously, plus Devon and Somerset. (According to legend these three counties - South of the River Parrett - comprise what is known as 'Pixyland'). I have 'met' them in Central England and the Highlands ofScotland where they are known as 'Pechts'. It is believed that the name 'Pixy' originated from 'Pict' who also lived in half sunken houses which resembled small hills. Hence the idea that Pixies live underground. They are supposedly in Wales and also on the Island of Sark in the Channel Isles, however I am unable to verify that. (I didn't see any while I was there in the early 90's).

I am yet to see or sense a pixy in Oregon, although I daresay they are here somewhere. KayEm has no problems sensing Faeries here, usually Pillywiggins I assume.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I know that fairies can live in gardens and if you keep them happy you garden will be beautiful, my daughter love fairies and I have a beautiful garden, It is recomended to leave a piece of fresh bread outside for them, and I dont know if they eat it but suppously they love fresh bread.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
maybe you guys are just seeing midgets ive never red anything that seen truthful about a pixie or farae or whatever.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I had a friend who once spent 30 minutes in a closet talking to Yosimite Sam. He (Mr. Sam) was yelling about Bugs and firing his pistols in the air most of the time.

Maybe it was really a pixie.

Variable

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Perhaps the name of a good psychiatrist would be extremely beneficial to some of you. It worries me when someone becomes so infatuated with there fantasys that they loose touch with reality. But on a happier note I will shortly be leaving for faerie land.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acceptance
on a happier note I will shortly be leaving for faerie land.

No you won't!

*YOINK*

*cashes in ticket*

*looks for faerie whorehouse*

Chi

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Have any of you noticed that those who believe in the Fae seem MORE SANE than those who ridicule them? Anyway, here's my encounters with the Fae:
One night, during fall, it was unusually hot out-- I walked towards my zinnia bed, and had the strange sensation that people where watching me from the flowers. It was a really magical night--I don't meditate or anything, and I could feel the magic sensation. Earlier that day I had been by the flower bed to welcome Fae into it. I was kind of afriad though, so I went back indoors.

Another night (afew weeks before/after the first encounter, give or take), as I was preparing for a party (Fae themed, I might add) I heard the ringing of clear bells. It was the second time I had heard those bells, once before in the daytime as I was working in my Fae garden. It sounded like the bells they use in the Church during mass when the wine & bread are being turned into the body & blood of Christ. (Yes, I am Catholic.)

That's all, I've sensed things before, but I've never seen one of the Fae--I'm going to try again this summer, maybe on Midsummer's Eve.

Any other encounters that people wanna share?

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It is said that during a full moon on Midsummer Eve a mortal may witness fairy dances and celebrations. Be sure to leave an offering for the fey on Midsummer eve, so they may think fondly of you and yours.

That's today by the way.

The moon of Midsummer have a few names one being the Honey Moon, as this is a time when the hives are been rich in honey, which gathered and fermented into a drink known as mead, customarily, drunk at wedding parties. Mead is rumored to be an aphrodisiac; thus we can observe the roots of modern day marriage practices and "honeymoons", in their Pagan soil.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join