It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomed planet: Astronomers find planet so big and close to star it may be killing itself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Doomed planet: Astronomers find planet so big and close to star it may be killing itself

sync.sympatico.msn.ca

WASHINGTON - Astronomers have found what appears to be a gigantic suicidal planet.

The odd, fiery planet is so close to its star and so large that it is triggering tremendous plasma tides on the star. Those powerful tides are in turn warping the planet's zippy less-than-a-day orbit around its star.

The result: an ever-closer tango of death, with the planet eventually spiraling into the star.

It is a slow death. The planet WASP-18b has maybe a million years to live

"It's causing its own destruction by creating these tides," Hellier said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Sounds like the United State's foreign policy lol

I find this interesting because I thought the universe was more intelligent and welll..... just worked like clockwork.

Check out the article, it's 2 pages, pretty interesting stuff

sync.sympatico.msn.ca

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Read about this yesterday in my local paper, was actually quite surprised to see the story in there. Definently a cool thing, brings up questions which scietists just love and makes me happy because it adds paradox to known theories. We'll have to see how it all plays out if you find anything else keep me posted.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Very interesting, since where I first read this, they said that they had no explanation for why the planet was still around. According to our current understanding, it should have been very short lived. But the age of this thing is very old, and therefore flies in the face of our current understanding of the universe.

Yet this source says nothing about that and instead says it has a million years to live.

Also its very interesting to make a google search on "WASP-18b" because almost every site except yahoo is trying to install malware. If you have Firefox and NoScript, you can try visiting these sites yourself and see.

I think our current understanding of the universe is flawed and the electric universe makes much more sense and also answers tons of questions current science has no answer for:

[edit on 28-8-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Sounds like the United State's foreign policy lol

I find this interesting because I thought the universe was more intelligent and welll..... just worked like clockwork.

Check out the article, it's 2 pages, pretty interesting stuff

sync.sympatico.msn.ca

You shouldn't be surprised at the destruction that happens in our universe. Destruction is just another stage before another star birth. Not every star system will be a nice place! Our solar system will be a crap hole in 4 billion years, and in some crap-holes will be a nice place 4 billion years from now. Just how things are!

[edit on 28-8-2009 by john124]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

Yes but that's stellar evolution you are referring to not how a planet behaves.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Someone call the suicide hotline!!!

Seriously though, we can take photos and gather information on all of the stars and planets that are destroying eachother and committing suicide, but nothing on the planets out there that are giving life?

WTF, sounds like the MSM here on planet earth, lets look at the coverage.
Michael Jackson dies- weeks
War on Terror-Years
Someone committing murder/suicide- at least 10 minutes
Heroic rescue of kids from a river- 15 seconds
hurricanes- about 10 minutes during the news, and then interrupting my tv shows periodically

Here's how space news seems to work.

"Well, we found a planet trying to kill itself today, while asteroids hit jupiter and *blah blah* for 10 pages... by the way, there is a super earth by this one star... but back to the black holes devouring entire galaxies and gamma ray bursts turning entire systems into chocolate pudding while dark matter threatens to tear the universe apart.....*blah blah*"

Sorry for the rant, but it seems like they don't want us to notice planets that could potentially be teeming with life.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I think the wording for the article is completely off. Planets dont "commit suicide", what a stupid comment to make. Its simply drawn into the stars gravitational force and tidal pull is whats keeping it in situ, only gradually this will diminish and the planet will become vapourised even more so as it nears the star.
Its like saying in 2 Billion years time our own sun will have a Vendetta against Mercury and Venus (possibly Earth) and vapourise them both into Oblivion.
Definitely NOT the way to talk to the public about modern-day Astronomy when you start mixing Tabloid journalism and Science together.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
I think the wording for the article is completely off. Planets dont "commit suicide", what a stupid comment to make.

I guess you read a pop science report for the first time. This is how they report science there in USA. Its always 1% info and 99% sensational "stuff". If they don't do it no one reads it and they must beg for their bread and butter. Modern society....

Anyway, important things here is, that a new planet has been discovered. It doesn't matter if it will fall into a star a zillion years from now. Zillions of planets and falling into stars and trillions of starts are exploding to dust every second. That is not the news.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Shouldn't it be the other way around? The sun, along with it's gravitational pull, is killing the planet. I love the title of the article too...as if the planet has consciousness and is choosing to commit suicide

Interesting find though.

top topics

join