It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reversal on Senate Succession Stirs Political Storm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
The democrats in Massachusetts want to avoid having the voters decide the next Senator. typical liberal hypocrisy.

source: online.wsj.com...

Democratic push to appoint a successor to the late Sen. Edward Kennedy is sparking a political tempest in Massachusetts, infuriating Republicans and dividing Democrats who only five years ago passed a law requiring that voters decide on Senate vacancies.

On a day when members of both parties paid their respects to Mr. Kennedy, a Democratic icon who died this week of brain cancer, Republicans accused Democrats of hypocrisy. In 2004, the state's Democrat-controlled legislature changed the law to prevent the governor from appointing an interim successor after a U.S. Senate seat becomes vacant. Instead, the new law requires that a special election be held between 145 and 165 days after the position becomes vacant.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mabus325

Yeah, I heard about this yesterday and you're right, its hypocrisy at its finest. This, after they already changed the rules once in 2004 to allow special elections...at the urging of Ted Kennedy...so that Mitt Romney would not be able to appoint a Republican senator should John Kerry have won the 2004 presidential election.

Now, they'll probably be changing it back. I guess they can just rig the game every time so that they always win. I can't say that I'm surprised at all. Idiots.

Oh well. They can do whatever they want, I suppose, no matter how asinine it is. I'm certainly glad I don't live there, though.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I once lived in Massachusetts. I had to leave because I couldn't stand the politicians and the people that kept putting them back in office.

They're called 'Massholes' for a reason...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Senate seats are not titles handed down from the Kennedy's. How hypocritical to now want to change a law you had changed in the first place. Senate vacancies should not be filled any means other than a vote by the people. Such elitism!

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Massachusetts Governor is having a press conference at 3:00 pm.

If the current law changes, I wouldn't be surprised at all. This is what happens when Democrats have power.

top topics

join