It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some links truncated by ATS-can this be fixed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Somebody has a thread about objects flying over the surface of the moon and I tried to post this link but the link gets truncated by ATS at the "(" symbol, as seen here

www.airliners.net...(F)/1526441/

I've noticed some other links get truncated too, not due to length but due to certain symbols. Is this some unavoidable issue with the coding of how ATS handles links, or something that can be fixed?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It is indeed because of the way the link written. What I do is replace the name of the link with something like "For full article click here..." etc.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Indeed. Scooby Doo provided the best solution.

Instead of just copying and pasting a link, it's always better to use the BB Code to link to something. Click on the Planet earth icon, give a short description of the link, click OK, paste the actual link, click OK, and you get:

Look Here

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Great, thank you both for the feedback!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
of just remove the www.... part.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Indeed. Scooby Doo provided the best solution.

Instead of just copying and pasting a link, it's always better to use the BB Code to link to something. Click on the Planet earth icon, give a short description of the link, click OK, paste the actual link, click OK, and you get:

Look Here

OK I have a link from the wayback machine, and posting it here with the planet earth icon as you suggest, does it work?

www.cufon.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">The Odd Flying Objects of E. L. Trouvelot

That doesn't help on this link. Click on "quote" to see the link I used and copy and paste it into your browser, you'll see it works. (What is displayed is not what I typed) I think the second http is throwing it off but wayback machine links have that.

Any other suggestions?

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of using tinyurl for my longer links.

It works wonders.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Thanks for the tip, trying the tinyurl version here:

The Odd Flying Objects of E. L. Trouvelot

Thanks for a workaround! I'll use this!

But shouldn't ATS still come up with a way of displaying URLs that works more consistently?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I just ran into the same problem again, along with the added irritation that now ATS seems to remove/edit tinyurls.

I wanted to post a page where the link has been dead for some 2 years, apparently. I was able to access it off the wayback machine, but when I did [ u r l = that link ] text [ u r l ], it broke it up. Then I tried posting a tinyurl link, but ATS seems to automatically remove the tinyurl part of the link!

I seem to remember that ATS has it's own url shortener, and that would be a solution for now, but seriously, it'd be nice if this issue (along with the other issue of links being broken up by stuff like ( and ) )was fixed.

In this case, I realise that the problem occurred because the wayback machine link has two "http" bits in the link, and ATS automatically attempts to format those as two separate links.

I know it may cause some major issues (although really, it shouldn't), but can't it be made so that if someone posts a link in ATS, the whole block of text would be considered a link until the next "space" was encountered?

So(this)whole*thing??would=be/considered+a+link, if I had put an http : // www . at the start.

edit on 24-9-2010 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Please add issues and suggestions to the ongoing and monitored thread: ATS Issues

Thanks

Closed.

top topics

join