It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Health Crisis Legislation or Civil Liberty Infringement? (Predates MA 2028)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Found this article while surfing the internet.

Model State Emergency Health Powers Act (MSEHPA)
Public Health Crisis Legislation or Civil Liberty Infringement?

Following the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, elected officials at the local, state and federal levels began assessing its ability to respond to major public emergencies, such as a bioterrorist attack or a viral pandemic. In response to that assessment, the federal government wrote model legislation granting public health powers to state and local authorities giving them the power to respond to a public health emergency crisis in the manner they deemed necessary. This Act is called the Model State Emergency Health Powers Act (MSEHPA).

State Legislatures Passing Forms of MSHPA

According to the Centers for Law and Public Health, the MSEPH has been introduced in whole or part through 171 bills or resolutions in forty-four (44) states, the District of Columbia, and the Northern Mariannas Islands. Thirty-eight (38) states [AL, AK, AZ, CA, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, LA, ME, MD, MN, MO, MT, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NC, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WI, and WY] and DC have passed a total of 66 bills or resolutions that include provisions from or have verbiage that closely models the Act.

State Legislatures Trumping the Constitution in Emergencies

While the stated purpose of the MSHPA is to provide care and assistance to injured or infected citizens of this country, opponents fear that state legislatures have purposely written in broad and vague language, opening up the door for government infringement on individual rights.

For example, in Arizona The American Association of Physicians and Surgeons has taken up a list of issues with the legislation passed in that state, including, but not limited to:

* Granting state governors and other officials the authority to practice medicine
* Unwarranted seizure of private property
* Enforcing public health directives at gun point or through military force
* Delicensure for health providers who refuse to cooperate with health officials
* Quarantine or imprisonment for citizens who refuse medical examination, even without proof of exposure or contamination

Each state listed above has its own version fo the MSHPA so the powers and authority granted to public officials will vary from state to state.

READ MORE

Could this be used to circumvent our rights if Swine Flu mutates into a more lethal strain?

[edit on 8/27/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Good find.
It's scary what passes under the radar during a crisis...

Will have to read this one for sure
thanks Tentickles
s/f

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Thanks warrenb, I wasnt even searching for this when I found it.

Enjoyed your MA 2028 thread btw.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The government did a good job at assembling doctors in a national quarantine situation. Interesting that they also assembled militias in the event of martial law through Infragard:
www.infragard.net...

While this makes us strong in security it also compiles a list of able bodies.
Very interesting times!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Great Information here! Hope you all are paying attention, taking notes. An event such as this is rare, and well planned out. Restistance, in order to be affective must be the same.

Time is of the essence on this issue. The American people are enraged over the attempt to Sovietize these united States of America
url

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I've got all the necessary materials to stay in my own house. I am not leaving for anyone!

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

The best resitance available!
Self sustaining, self suffiicient!

Good mp3 into also! Kudos!

top topics

join