It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wellington rocked by powerful quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Stuff.co.nz

Rather interesting little set of rattles this morning.

There was a similar one in May I believe this year which was smaller, although some reports of cracked ceils have been reported with this one. Good thing it wasnt any larger, knew the recent large activity we've been having this year would eventually hit close to a city... hope it doesnt get any worse than that.

Maybe mother earths desperate to smack her children but John Keys wont let her

[edit on 27-8-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ
Maybe mother earths desperate to smack her children but John Keys wont let her

...the WIN!!!!

I didn't even feel it. I must have been waaay 'out the monk'

...live in Wellington, well, Hutt Valley...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Yeah, Hutt Valley here too. I only have Wellington on my location because it's just easier to affiliate with.

I did feel it, actually. It woke me up but the rocking was too comforting for me to move.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Not surprised those living in the Hutt Valley could feel it, you are after all living right on one fault line.

I sat in the shopping mall in Lower Hutt once when a quake hit and watched the entire area moving like a wave. I moved to Korakora then, lol.

In the four years I lived in and around Wellington I felt many quakes, as you do there. Some worried me, especially being woken at night with the sound of a huge Elephant jumping across the roof, hearing thunder coming from under the ground, having my bed roll away from the wall and then back again repeatedly, hearing the topmost bricks on my building and the one next to us actually slapping against each other, as well as seeing the power poles out my window swaying.

And that was a 5.something 190 k's out to sea and 150 odd k's underground!!

Good luck there people, as beautiful as the country is, and as friendly as the people are, I would never live there again. I do expect a major quake there and so I came home again. God I miss the place though.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Tayesin]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It was hardly a powerful quake...it's just a fact of life for those residing in a city that straddles a fault line, AND a plate boundary at that.

Hopefully we will get the big one sometime soon and then we won't have to worry about those buffoons such as Key, Browneye, English, Hide and co

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

hello, Wellington? no clue. more data needed. my guess would be New Giunnea? but elephants? ?????????

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by BigfootNZ

hello, Wellington? no clue. more data needed. my guess would be New Giunnea? but elephants? ?????????

Whosa whatsa?

**rummages around for his universal translator**

Ive never experienced a quake before so id have no idea what a powerful one was like, but they did say it was a 5.2, and was quite shallow to boot. I know we get quakes all the time in New Zealand but hey just mentioning what the news said
, especially since it was close to our capital (most of the biggies over the last year have been out in oceans or wilderness).

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
...we won't have to worry about those buffoons such as Key, Browneye, English, Hide and co

...buffoons AND jerk-offs according to cuzzie Tau Henare...

Ahh well, wouldn't be that bad I suppose...at least my sea views would be a WHOLE lot closer...

top topics

join