It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PARA: Why Do So Many Believe In 2012?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Throughout the ages there have been prophecies foretelling of the future. It is innate in every human to want to know what will happen in the future, to want the knowledge to stop a death or make a great amount of money. The accuracy of these prophecies is debatable but there is one common link between most happenings being foretold: They can be true or false, the world never knows until afterward.

by Virginia "Tentickles" Nicholson

Shortly in our future there is a prophesized event at the end of the year 2012 on December 21st. This event has a large amount of following. Those who believe something will happen at the end of 2012 are not sure what will happen but they believe it will. These people are not part of a doomsday cult. They are regular people with regular jobs and normal lives. So what is out there in the world that creates such a large number of people who believe something will happen on this specific date?

The answer is quite simple. It is the sheer amount of prophecies stating in some fashion or another that at the end of the year 2012 something is going to happen. The prophecies state different occurrences for December of 2012, ranging from good to bad and they originate from many places, ancient civilizations to religious scripture to computer programs to people.

The Hopi Indians of Arizona have a myth which many think relates to 2012. The basis of the myth is the changing of Worlds, which is a great change. The myth states, “When the Blue Star Katchina (spirit guide) makes its appearance in the heavens, the Fifth World will emerge. This will be a day of Purification.” The day of purification would be December 21st, 2012. The Blue Star Katchina is thought to be an asteroid, rogue planet, or a number of other strange things to destroy the surface of the Earth.

In 1139, Saint Malachi experienced a vision of the future. He saw 112 different popes and gave them all cryptic mottos. These mottos described the popes in order. Each motto has been associated with each numbered Pope. The mottos are usually related to places of birth, their coat of arms or their pontificates. The current pope is Pope Benedict XVI; he is the 111th pope on the list. His motto read, “Gloria Olivae” meaning glory of the olive. Pope Benedict XVI promotes peace and the symbol of peace is an olive branch.

There is only the 112th motto left on the list: (translated to English from Latin)
"During the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church, the seat will be occupied by Peter the Roman,
who will feed his sheep in many tribulations;
and when these things are finished, the seven-hilled city will be destroyed,
and the formidable Judge will judge his people.
The End."

It is believed this is an end of the world prophecy. Where Peter the Roman is the last Pope before God returns to Earth to judge his people.

More popular than the 2012 prediction itself, is the famous Nostradamus. He prophesized many doomsday events and is connected with 2012 as well. Many believe he has prophesized the event in 2012 as well as many other things during our age.

The most famous of which is:
“The year 1999, seventh month,
from the sky will come a great King of Terror:
To bring back to life the great King of the Mongols,
before and after Mars to reign by good luck.”

This might relate to the disaster of 9/11 and the following War on Terror by the United States. As with most of Nostradamus’s prophecies it’s up to the reader to interpret.

The Mayan Long Count Calendar is the most closely related of all older prophecies with December 21st 2012. The Calendar ends on December 21st 2012 and to the Mayans the world worked in a cycle of creation, fall and resurrection based on the stars. With the calendar ending and a New Age approaching on the Winter Solstice of 2012 people believe it is our fall.

John Van Auken described it as such, “In order to grasp the Mayan message, we need to understand a little about how they saw the sky and how events in the sky indicated times of death, rebirth, and the passage of time for souls living in this galaxy and in this solar system…

To the Maya, the Milky Way’s major features and the changes in its position and shape during the night reveal our origin, passage, and destiny… Simplified, the heaven passage tells the story of the initial fall of life’s goodness at sunset, followed by the rise of egoism and self-seeking, which brought the rise of dangerous lower urges that crawl on their belly… and attack the attempts of life to resurrect, to rise anew, reborn. Fortunately, these dark influences are driven off by the higher ideals and the will to do good again. Eventually life is reborn and rises on a new dawn. That new dawn begins December 21, 2012, the Winter Solstice.

When asked what the new dawn would be Edgar Casey was noted saying, “The full consciousness of the ability to communicate with the Creative Forces and be aware of the relationships to the Creative Forces and the uses of same in material environs. This awareness during the era or age in the Age of Atlantis and Lemuria or Mu brought what? Destruction to man, and his beginning of the needs of the journey up through that of selfishness.”

It is ironic that the most recent prophecy comes from one of the oldest, the I Ching. The I Ching itself is an ancient Chinese text used for predicting the future through a set of lines representing yin and yang. Terance McKenna used the concept of I Ching and a complex mathematical formula to create a theory known as Time Wave Zero.

This theory states:
- The universe evolves toward the lowest potential energy.
- The end state of the universe is characterised by infinite interconnectedness.
- The laws of physics will be obviated and the universe as we know it will disappear around 2012 AD
- The consequences of these predictions will include the ability to re-materialise ("resurrect") objects that previously existed, immortality, psychokinesis, teleportation, and time travel.

Put simply, the history of Man is full of cycles leading to a point in time when everything will change. The end date for Time Wave Zero, when the potential energy is at zero is December 21st, 2012.

The Web Bot project of George Ure and his associates is the most recent and most technological of all predictions dealing with 2012. On his website George Ure explains web bots are, “A system of spiders, agents, and wanderers travel the Internet, much like a search engine robot, and look for particular kinds of words. It targets discussion groups, translation sites, and places were regular people post a lot of text.

When a "target word" was found, or something that was lexically similar, the web bots take a small 2048 byte snip of surrounding text and send it to a central collection point.” Mr. Ure takes this information and transforms it into data analysis. Originally used for stock market predictions the software has successfully predicted many events. The most known are 9/11 and the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, among others. The most recent dealt with the derivatives market showing signs of strain during August 6th-22nd 2009, which has happened.

The web bots have made it increasingly clear that the future is grim in their electronic eyes. From a deepening depression, war in the Middle East, global famine, revolution and they have predicted a worldwide calamity during the year. The future doesn’t look bright from web bots predictions.

The sheer number of predictions leading to December 21st 2012 has led many to believe something is going to happen on that date. It might or it might not but one thing is for sure: Many believe, we just have to wait to find out if it’s true.

[edit on 8/27/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
S&F for a lot of work!!!

The web bots have made it increasingly clear that the future is grim in their electronic eyes. From a deepening depression, war in the Middle East, global famine, revolution and they have predicted a worldwide calamity during the year. The future doesn’t look bright from web bots predictions.

I cannot say I agree with the Webbot exactly. I think the ride to 2012 is in many ways in the eyes of the beholding. No doubt it'll be a ride. I think it'll be kicking into full gear by fall.

The reason I believe? I see the Elite daily doing what no would have ever thought them doing. Increasingly they are showing their manipulative hand, and true intentions.

Many reasons for that are possible, but they all point in one direction. There is obviously a reason they are needing to speed up their assault on humanity. I believe the very reason is 2012, and a raising of consciousness for man. Again, I wouldn't have believed, but just look at the World speeding up.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I believe because it gives hope. gives me another reason to look forward to tomorrow, something big. even if it does not come, which it will, its inevitable, i will still know, its 2011

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
S & F. That is really good work, Tentickles.

I think so many believe in it is because it was hyped up too much.

The main reason I believe is because of the Timewave Zero thing, because it is the least depressing and I have a gut feeling about it. Plus the abilities that would come from it are what I want.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
S & F. That was fun to read

I always wondered if by purification, it was meant euthanasia. Or exterminating a certain group of people, most likely a large majority. Thinking out loud.

It's one day i'm not sold on, but it should be a very interesting day, the snowball isn't done building, still a few more years to see how people react.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Shifts are already happening. 12/21/2012 is just the supposed alignment date.

Why do people take things word for word? Is it hard for them to analyze and put together things themselves? Are they blocked off from these shifts because of their lack of feeling of energies?

This isn't a y2k prophecy. Some will evolve, some will die. Some will sleep, while others cry. Some will ascend, while others fall. Believe what you want or just know it all.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I kind of thought, that this video put it pretty well, I have alot of respect for Tyson.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

In the years leading up to 1000 anno domini there was widespread panic and fear for the arrival of the antichrist and the destruction of our planet.

books.google.co m

Above is a link for a book written on that same subject.

This is a millinium thing. People went nuts then, people are going to go nuts now.
Just my humble little opinion.

Personally, the year 2012 will be like any other year. My youngest boy will be nine. I hope to be retired from my job and writing full time by then. I'll still drink beer and go fishing.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

In the years leading up to 1000 anno domini there was widespread panic and fear for the arrival of the antichrist and the destruction of our planet.

Google Books

Above is a link for a book written on that same subject.

This is a millinium thing. People went nuts then, people are going to go nuts now.
Just my humble little opinion.

Personally, the year 2012 will be like any other year. My youngest boy will be nine. I hope to be retired from my job and writing full time by then. I'll still drink beer and go fishing.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

My thoughts are being prepared for anything is always important.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I am pretty sure nothing amazing will happen on decenmber 12, 2012. Although I'm pretty sure we will see a huge amount of suicides and crimes right before that date. After, december 21, we will only see a bunch of depressed and sad people who actually believed something amazing (or scary, depending on the prophecy's interpretation) was going to happen on that date.

Prophecies have been made all the time, and they almost never come true (the ones that do come true are due to people taking action to MAKE the prophecy come true, or where self-fulfilling like saying that a nation will fall, which happens to EVERY country).

In addition, didn't Nostradamus predict an attack on London in the year 4000 something?

remember, many of these so-called prophesies do not state the date that an event will take place, only people decide to associate said prophesies with 2012.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
I kind of thought, that this video put it pretty well, I have alot of respect for Tyson.

nope, you see you don't understand the dynamics of the galaxy along with our solar system, black holes are a very interesting thing. what he said about the sun the earth and the galaxy being aligned? of course that happens every year,
the fact he "forgot" to mention was that, our solar system in fact is going to be perfectly aligned with the horizontal center of our galaxy. which will ultimately bring on great changes through civilization and society as a whole.
it is not going to be some apocalyptic doomsday, although some catastrophic events may occur before 2012 to help people for lack of better terms , "wake up" and understand our true history and meaning in this universe.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Nice Work Tent-
In addition to the above prophecies, in Medjugorjie it is claimed that Mary appears once a year and communicates a message to a woman who, previously with other girls as well, listened to Mary warning the world of upcoming disasters. It is stated that Mary will release three messages/warning to the world prior to completion of the prophecy.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by EDteach

This sounds similar to the three secrets of Fatima. I thought it was believed by some that two of the three secrets were already revealed.
Is this what you are referring to?
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Personally, I think we have too many severe problems right now (in the now) to think about what may happen in 2012, and I think this is the main objective of this whole thing. It provides many with a clever distraction which seems to be backed up by several...somethings that no one will ever commit fully too rationally. It has simply been building for quite some time to a point where people (when prompted to) flock to such discussion as a nice break from the normal trial and misery of 'present' life.

Sure there's nothing wrong with having a general plan for the future, but staying in the future too long means not living in the now.

We have problems/threats in the now that need IMMEDIATE attention, and don't think for a minute that those who would have you distracted from those problems/threats don't appreciate the 2012 prophecy (almost franchise) to the highest degree.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by lagnar]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

I really wish I hadn't watched that. He ruined the alien suprise in the upcomming movie, 2012
Shame on you both!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by newworld

Medjugorje, I believe, has the same three warnings, if I remember correctly. They are to be given out right before 'the end' the last warning, it is stated, is too late for people to save themselves. One of the three is stated to have something that the media could clearly report on (miracle of sorts).
Watched a documentary on it years ago and stumbled on some info recently. Mary is said to plead for people to pray and fast (monthly message given to same woman), for this will 'save' them from the destruction that will befall the earth.
Interesting, I believe predictions concerning Mary, and several others, all state that about 1/3 of pop. or close amount, will survive.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by EDteach]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Weird psychological human thing..i don't know.As for 2012 it will be like any other year in terms of world events,course something big might happen just like any other year aswell.Nothing to do with prophecy though.Anyway,im sure lots of people have made alot of money from it.And people will continue to when the next prediction comes along with books,dvd's,lectures etc etc

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by EDteach

Thanks for adding that information EDteach.

Really is amazing how many there are isnt it?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Because in 2012 we will be ready and they will be back. I'm personally waiting for the benevelent ones. If offered the chance to return to my original soul birthplace....color me gone.

edited for spelling

[edit on 28-8-2009 by Magantice]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
i didn't even read your post because of this. the thread reads why do many people believe in 2012. im still giving you n S + F. why? because it highlights exactly, quantities mass of human defiance against the natural spiritual occurrence that is taking place for a lot or more than the "norm" of the collective earth. i personally am feeling a "feeling" of spiritual enlightenment and for you to make light of it is not only assuming it is a deflection of your current open_mindedness.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join