It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feed 6 people for 4/week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
www.myfoxdc.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">This woman does it

Although i don't condone the eating of most products obtained in this way as they're mostly unhealthy chemical laden pre-packaged poison animals, here's an article about it.

Some of you probably already play this game but for those that don't but need to, here it is.

I put it here in survival because it is a survival technique. Remember, survival happens as long as you're alive, and keeping yourself alive involves obtaining food. f i were to tell you how to hunt or farm or gather it'd be here, well, this is for the modern day urban hunter-gatherers.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
FYI - the link doesn't work.

2nd line, need to correct link..

CX

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Here you go....

It might take a few hours a week to clip coupons and browse supermarket aisles. But it's paying off for one woman who is feeding her family of six for less than $10 a week.

Kathy Spencer of Boxford, Mass., seeks out coupons, browses circulars and spends up to four hours a week at grocery stores. But she says she spends an average of $4 a week on groceries for a family that includes her husband, four kids, one dog, two cats and a rabbit. On a recent shopping trip, Spencer bought $279 worth of groceries for 39 cents.

Source: Family of 6 Eats For
About $4 a Week

Good post btw.....i have two kids and i know for a fact i spend way more than i need to in the supermarket.

This week i'm starting to plan our meals better, so i'm not just throwing anything in the trolley as we go around.

Thanks for the post.

CX.

[edit on 27/8/09 by CX]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Dang! I'm never going to make a smart remark towards my mother for being an obsessive-compulsive Coupon Cutter ever again, nor am I going to tell my grandmother "Thank you, this is just what I wanted" in a cynical tone the next time she sends me coupons in my Birthday Card instead of a check or gift card.

Feeding a family of four + pets on $4 a week? That's almost incredible. Even growing the majority of my own food last year, I can guarantee I spent 10x that much for two + pets!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
What? This entire article is pure BS. How come my coupons say "Limit one per customer. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer." and her coupons apparently don't?

What she advocates doing just doesn't work around here. Where I live sales are almost always Instant Rebates or Instant Coupons so that using clip-out coupons on sale items invalidates the coupon ("Cannot be combined with any other offer.") This trick also lets the super market sell some items below cost - just pricing an item lower than cost is dumping and illegal.

Jon

EDIT: Anyone look at the comments to that article? #2 is particularly maddening:

Obbop The Females as Property Movement (FAPM) hereby conveys a pat on the butt to the gal that is able to save her master's uhhh man's money while providing for him and their spawn.

Though the female likely retains the common female characteristics that prevent her from fully entering adult society thus curtailing her receiving full adult rights and privileges FAPM still conveys kudos to the female for serving her male well.

Disgruntled Old Coot

Woah! Spending some time to save money on food is apparently a capital crime for feminists.

[edit on 8.27.2009 by Voxel]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Most of the best deals have a limit per customer, so I have 3 older children, I wait for the sale and then I get the limit for each child and give them all money so instead of 3 per customer it becomes 12

If you don't have enough children then take a friend or family member, believe me they cannot say anything about that, Ive done it many times. Have fun shopping!

Peace to you...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I don't know about 6, but it's easy enough to feed two kids for $10 a week, I do it often.

The local Salvation Army store has an awesome bread table that helps a lot, near-expired bread of all kinds, even the expensive $5 stuff that makes awesome bread bowls.

They have things like:
Wheat French toast With apple slices and juice, about 50 cents per kid.
Whole grain grilled cheese sandwiches with low-sodium soup, about 35 cents per kid.
Spaghetti with omega-3 flaxseed garlic bread and grape juice - around 25 cents per kid.
Chef Salad with homemade croutons and Gatorade - about 50 cents per kid.

I don't think it would take more than a few dollars a day to feed a family of 3-4 if people knew how to do it properly. $10 a week for 6 may be extreme, but $20 for 3 or 4 would be reasonable.

What is key is feeding them well for that price, avoiding all the bleached wheat carbs, salt, sugar, and preservatives. People swear that it's cheaper to eat garbage, but that is total baloney. A bag of frozen vegetables has remained at around $1 for as long as I can remember.

Don't listen to people who talk about things like Hamburger Helper and Ramen Noodles, those are complete garbage. Bleached wheat noodles are nothing but sugar, and the spice packs are nothing but Monosodium Glutamate, a particularly nasty preservative/"flavor enhancer" known to be addictive and linked to many chronic illnesses.

You are better off giving your family about anything besides a big steaming bowl/plate of sugar with salt on top.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by maus80]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Voxel

Some places around here will triple all coupons. I don't know if that helps anyone understand how this was possible, lol, but... yeah it does seem kind of ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I've got a years worth.... this is where I picked up my gear Food n Stuff

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I mentioned in another thread that for $53 I bought 1 months supply of food plus 3 weeks worth of storage. Biggest expense was meat and dairy, But I got lots of rice, lentils, dehydrated peas, beans, oats, dehydrated soup mix, barley, ect.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I checked it out... signed up for the free yahoo site an received a message to go to the other site.... the one you have to pay for. It say's it is a buck plus a little extra for paypal or some such non-sense. It isn't "Free Information" anymore.

top topics

join