It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tactical Bacon - Anyone Tried This?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Bacon...it's the only reason I honestly couldn't ever become Jewish or Vegetarian. And 9 out of 10 Vegetarians agree that it's the only meat they would ever consider going back to eat.

When SHTF you need Bacon...lots of Bacon. Because let's face it, hunting Wild Boar or Wild Pigs is far more dangerous than hunting Deer or Elk.

So, it intrigued me when I came across an article about Tactical Bacon that lasts 10 years. Tactical Canned Bacon

Has anyone actually tried this stuff? Has anyone actually let it sit around on a shelf for 10 years before trying it?

I'm curious but I'm not sure if I want to run the risk of Botulism to try it unless it were a SHTF situation and I really had a craving for a BLT.

At $16 for 54 slices, that's not a bad price, but I'd rather know what others thought of it before ponying up and adding it to my stash of other sundry canned goods, rice, dried beans, and Ensure.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Never heard of that 10 year bacon,but your thread title reminded me of another tactical use of bacon,the smoke bomb:

-=The Bacon Smoke Bomb=- This is the second easiest smoke bomb to make and you can have good bacon while you make it. What you need: * 1 Exacto knife * 1-2 Pack(s) Of VERY fatty bacon * access to a hot plate or a melting resource * Aluminum foil * string WHAT YOU DO! First open the packs of bacon with an exacto knife, then cut off all the fat off the bacon with the knife, keep the fat for later, now make a tube with the aluminum foil with one closed and SEALED end (IMPORTANT) keep the other one open, go back to the bacon fat and take out your way to melt it and melt it untill it is a liquid, pour this liquid into the tube and let it dry, when it is gooey but not hard stick in a bit of string (fuse will not work) now let it dry. LATER! Now take it out of the tube and find a way to keep it upright (aluminum foil stand works) now take it outside and light the string, it will burn like a candle but will give off a dark black smoke, use in mass for deep smoke screens.

www.my-diary.org...

So if it tastes horrid you could always use it to make a smoke screen.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I think they may have gotten this and changed the label:

www.mredepot.com...

its not bad, a little better than the oscar meyer precooked bacon in stores.

great for long term storage bacon.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Mmmmmm.....bacon (making Homer Simpson noises). Nothing burps like bacon.

That is a pretty good deal for long term bacon storage.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
sounds alot like making Pemmican

Pemmican is a concentrated mixture of fat and protein used as a nutritious emergency foodstuff. The word comes from the Cree word pimîhkân, "pemmican", which itself is derived from the word pimî, "fat, grease".[1] It was invented by the native peoples of North America[citation needed]. It was widely adopted as a high-energy food by Europeans involved in the fur trade and later by Arctic and Antarctic explorers, such as Robert Falcon Scott and Roald Amundsen. Pemmican was among the supplies taken by the Burke and Wills expedition across central Australia. It is believed that the pemmican went bad and was not eaten, contributing to scurvy and death among members of the expedition, which became a disaster. Properly packaged, pemmican can be stored for long periods of time.

The specific ingredients used were usually whatever was available; the meat was often bison, moose, elk, or deer. Fruits such as cranberries and saskatoon berries were common. Cherries, currants, chokeberries and blueberries were also used, but almost exclusively in ceremonial and wedding pemmican.

The highest quality pemmican is made from lean meat and bone marrow fat; the pemmican buyers of the fur trade era had strict specifications.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I like bacon, I really, really do... but try as I might I can't see the need to buy a product like this. It may be because, when I was growing up, my family slaughtered hogs every fall and we made our own bacon, but I have an internal voice telling me that in a survival situation I could easily work out a way to satisfy any bacon cravings.

Of course this is also coming from a guy who can and does go months without touching bacon and, when I do eat bacon, it's rarely the thin sliced, fatty, crispy crap you get at most restaurants. I prefer the chunks, fat rendered off and stored in an apothecary jar in the fridge. In many ways it's almost more like heavily salted pork chops.

Oh and pemmican = nasty. We used to carry pemmican, dried corn, jerky, and hard tack with us in the field when we'd go elk hunting. The result was almost always sore jaws and bad gas at the end of the day.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveFreeOrDie..

www.mredepot.com...

I've tried the precooked bacon in stores and although it's not particularly good it is at least edible. Knowing that this stuff is "a little better" than that and it does indeed store well if unopened is precisely the reassurance I needed.

Thank you.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Never heard of that 10 year bacon,but your thread title reminded me of another tactical use of bacon,the smoke bomb:

-=The Bacon Smoke Bomb=- This is the second easiest smoke bomb to make and you can have good bacon while you make it.

www.my-diary.org...

So if it tastes horrid you could always use it to make a smoke screen.

Yeah, when I first read the brand name "Tactical Bacon" I was thinking of something along similar lines...although I never knew you could make a Bacon Smoke Bomb! That's good info to have!

[edit on 28-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveFreeOrDie..

www.mredepot.com...

I buy this (the Yodder brand) by the case lot. We pay less per slice for canned bacon than we do for uncooked stuff at our local grocery store. It way better tasting than the Burns brand or the other more expensive brands our store carries.

My mother in law who isn't into the survival has be order it for her too because she likes it so much.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I've tried what I seem to remember was bacon burgers in forces ration packs - that would have about a 10 year shelf life... It was edible and defiantly had the bacon taste - but definitely so substitute for the real deal, loads of preservatives with that sort of stuff we usually just tossed what ever everyone wanted to throw in the pot and had a random stew.

And bacon smoke bombs?? Ok, hope there is no wild life within 20 miles that can eat you!! Every predator will converge on your location don't you think? Also every over weight person... The only use I can envisage is humanely clearing out militant vegetations... And we all know you only usually have to push them over any way!
(sorry - I'm not really anti veggie - I'm just pro meat!)

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Pemmican! My boyfriend loves that stuff. It's alright, I once had a history teacher who made it from deer and threw in sunflower seeds and cranberries. It was delicious.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
You want tactical swine, check out the bacon torch. Might prove to be as useful as it is tasty.

new topics

top topics

join