It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget swine flu - could we cope with a plague of the Undead? Scientists ponder the threat of a zomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Forget swine flu - could we cope with a plague of the Undead? Scientists ponder the threat of a zombie attack

www.daily mail.co.uk

Take a look at the person sitting across from you at the breakfast table. Are they complaining of a high temperature and a sore throat? Do they look a bit peaky, off colour? If so, you could be facing the dreaded pig flu. Time to break out the antiseptic hand gel and get on to the hotline. But what if that sore throat and high temperature were replaced by a deathly pallor, constant moaning, blank staring eyes, congealed blood around the mouth - and bits of rotting flesh hanging off their body?
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
At first I actually thought this was a joke and laughed about it, until I kept reading, and even found that there is really a research study they made about this.

Here is an excerpt and link to the actual research.

WHEN ZOMBIES ATTACK!: MATHEMATICAL
MODELLING OF AN OUTBREAK OF ZOMBIE
INFECTION

Philip Munz1, Ioan Hudea1y, Joe Imad2z, Robert J. Smith?3x
1School of Mathematics and Statistics, Carleton University,
1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON K1S 5B6, Canada
2Department of Mathematics, The University of Ottawa,
585 King Edward Ave, Ottawa ON K1N 6N5, Canada
2Department of Mathematics and Faculty of Medicine, The University of Ottawa,
585 King Edward Ave, Ottawa ON K1N 6N5, Canada
Abstract

Zombies are a popular figure in pop culture/entertainment and they are usually portrayed as being brought about through an outbreak or epidemic. Consequently, we model a zombie attack, using biological assumptions based on popular zombie movies. We introduce a basic model for zombie infection, determine equilibria and their stability, and illustrate the outcome with numerical solutions. We then refine the model to introduce a latent period of zombification, whereby humans are infected, but not infectious, before becoming undead. We then modify the model to include the effects of possible quarantine or a cure. Finally, we examine the impact of regular, impulsive reductions in the number of zombies and derive conditions under which eradication can occur. We show that only quick, aggressive attacks can stave off the doomsday scenario: the collapse of society as zombies overtake us all.

www.mathstat.uottawa.ca...

For all intent and purpose I don't think anything like this will ever happen, but I found it strange, and funny at the same time that they used a pop culture rave to do a research on how other "real" infectious diseases might spread.

www.daily mail.co.uk

[edit on 27-8-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This photo and question is funny indeed.

That man is probably trying to stop from laughing his socks off, or maybe he is thinking "what is this bloody lad on" (says with his best Brittish accent which sucks
)

You get on the Tube and see this... What would you do?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
For all intent and purpose I don't think anything like this will ever happen, but I found it strange, and funny at the same time that they used a pop culture rave to do a research on how other "real" infectious diseases might spread.

Dont forget about HADES THE PALE RIDER AND WHAT HE BRINGS TO THE TABLE MY FRIEND..

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Rabies also has flu-like symptoms at the onset of the disease. I wouldn't put it past the PTB having weaponized rabies.

When I first saw the stories of them doing strange research on mathematical formulas on zombie outbreaks I immediately thought of rabies.

From wikipedia:

The period between infection and the first flu-like symptoms is normally two to twelve weeks, but can be as long as two years. Soon after, the symptoms expand to slight or partial paralysis, cerebral dysfunction, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, hallucinations, progressing to delirium.

The production of large quantities of saliva and tears coupled with an inability to speak or swallow are typical during the later stages of the disease; this can result in “hydrophobia”, in which the patient has difficulty swallowing because the throat and jaw become slowly paralyzed, shows panic when presented with liquids to drink, and cannot quench his or her thirst.

Rabies can take months to develop from first infection to death.

If you think you will be one of the surviors battling zombies... Forget it you'll more likely be one yourself, lol.

It might not exactly be like rabies, they might have tweaked its genetic code with other diseases to increase its longevity or lethality (rage virus from the movies '28 days later' and '28 weeks later', anybody?)

The difference is that likely the disease will progress slowly, from bite or infection to full onset sickness a few weeks or months later, instead of the instantaneous bite then full blown infection portrayed in these two movies.

Them doing this infection rate study research is strange to say the least.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Looks like any Black Friday.

Here's a cluster of zombies! (Are zombies called clusters? or herd? or gaggle?)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1bd2e9ac62cc.jpg[/atsimg]

Anyways, I would suspect that the clusters of zombies this Black Friday might be quite a bit thinner.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The results are not pretty - indeed, the report shows that only rapid use of overwhelming military force would save humanity from extinction - but the authors point out that, even though zombies may be imaginary, the findings may be pertinent to the spread of some devastating diseases that are all too real. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...[ /ex]

n the end, only relentless and disciplined firepower can stop the hordes. Planes and tanks are useless; only massed ranks of infantrymen equipped with rifles and pickaxes can quell the march of the Undead. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...[ /ex]

I find these statements even more troubling, since this study is supposed to be used to study outbreaks and how to handle them.

In otherwords, be more afraid of hordes of living military swarming the country with guns forcing people to either take vaccines, tracker chips, whatever, or be "dealt with".

Scarrier than any George Romero film.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Hey skadi nice to see you back, and btw i agree with you.

The research was done in a manner that many might say" since there won't be any people turning into zombies, the responses that are advised within will never be used", but this research was done not to find responses to peope turning into zombies, but as a way to respond to infectious diseases becoming pandemic. In this case however the pop culture of "zombies" was used as the infectious disease.

The conclusions given by the research are that is better to exterminate any possible person that might contain the virus, than to actually just quarantine them and trying to find a more humane way to deal with an infectious disease that could become pandemic.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Reminds me of that not-very-good movie Quarantine.

On the other hand, I've had about five different zombie dreams this month alone. Not 'climb out of the ground' zombies, but infectious people that spread it, a la 28 days later -esque.

Good times we're living in.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by orderedchaos

You know what is wierd? I also had a zombie sort of nightmare the night before last. I never really have these sort of nightmares, and i wasn't watching any movies about people turning into zombies.

The nightmare was more like those people who were not infected, which included me in most of the dream/nightmare and some people I don't know, we were just trying to get away from the infected, but i don't remember anyone infected trying to bite healthy people, we were just running away from them, and they did seemed to have a blank stare to them.

Not that I think people will begin turning into zombies, but i found it a bit wierd.

I did not even remember the dream after reading the article, but when you mentioned your dream, I remembered.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The only thing that would concern me about a zombie apocalypse how it is categorized… A lurcher or runner epidemic.

A lurcher apocalypse will be an annoyance for sure but at least I will be first in any shopping line I choose. A runner apocalypse however could ruin my whole week if I tripped, but it will at least get me fitter if I manage to stay on my feet.

You see, you just have to see the positive aspect in every black event

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Yeah, thats another prospect. Kill and burn the body of any virus carrier. Of course, given the state of the government and where everything is heading, I'm sure alot of dissenters, protesters, and anti-gloabalization folks will end up "virus carriers".

It is interesting that they wrap it and blanket this in the funny and ridiculous scenario of a zombie invasion. Hiding possible plans in plain sight, almost.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

Forget swine flu - could we cope with a plague of the Undead? Scientists ponder the threat of a zombie attack

www.daily mail.co.uk

Take a look at the person sitting across from you at the breakfast table. Are they complaining of a high temperature and a sore throat? Do they look a bit peaky, off colour? If so, you could be facing the dreaded pig flu. Time to break out the antiseptic hand gel and get on to the hotline. But what if that sore throat and high temperature were replaced by a deathly pallor, constant moaning, blank staring eyes, congealed blood around the mouth - and bits of rotting flesh hanging off their body?

Just about describes everyone in congress!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

That was my first thought on it. Put into terms that would seem ridiculous and hide the real reason for the study. Or it could be just paranoia!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
just a theory guys..but do any of you think this swine flu vaccine has something to do with this? I mean, if vaccination is going to be mandatory for ALL, they are not indeed, going to poison themselves...perhaps they give a vaccine to the so-called "swine flu" threat, and then unleash the REAL killer..some kind of super-bug that makes the Plague and Black Death sound like overkill metal band names? From that viewpoint, it would be an effective extermination route, having tricked all those wary of the government to be infected and...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by orderedchaos
reply to post by star in a jar

Reminds me of that not-very-good movie Quarantine.

Are you kidding me? It was one of the greatest horror movies ever; watching it nearly made me # myself. I guess the handful of mushrooms helped too

Could humanity survive zombies? Nope. Could I survive zombies? Probably. Remember comrades, "curing the infection one bullet at a time"

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think this only proves that mathematiticians have a sense of humor and suffer from boredom like the rest of us. Note that this was not a paper produced by any medical professionals.

top topics

join