It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polls show atheists on the rise in America

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This brings to mind this thread,

This message can be directed towards anyone, but I direct it at christians because, from what I have observed, through close family, past friends, and current society, you guys seem to be missing the point.
Obviously, a lot of christians here on ATS are the exception, so a lot of what I say doesn't apply to you. Somehow many of you can do what other christians can't and acknowledge the ideals of other people with an open mind. Kudos to you

My thought starts with the knowledge that Christianity is the largest religion in the world today (if you include Catholicism and all other sects (which you should) into one big bundle... the concept is virtually the same).
It can be argued that all of the leaders in the US merit Christianity as the true religion, and often followers themselves, especially the last few Presidents in office.

My thought continues with an ideal:
"If there is one true religion, then the world would be a better place if everyone followed it."

The obvious conclusion I've come up with, is that the more Christians there are in the world... (flame time)... the worse off we've become...

Never have there been more christians than there are today, and never has the world been in such a mess (thats we know of).

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So with this in mind you atheist can straighten things out.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

"I don't even know what a Christian God is."

You don't know who the Christian God is? He is the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End. The Eternal God of Judgement. The one who gave us life. The Father who sent Jesus Christ to be a substitute for our sins. If you have a Bible you must read it now. You're missing out.

"Do you mean the one in the Bible; a collection of plagerized stories from other previous cultures? I guess the answer is NO."

The Bible is not plagerized in any way. Why do you feel the need to capitalize the word NO? My friend, this is the true path to enlightenment. Pick up a Bible and genuinely pray to God. Let Him shower you with real love. Happy reading.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Water-tastes-good]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RamsOnTop
The whole world should be Atheist. That way we wouldn't have religious wars and people disagreeing on the invisible man in the sky.

You know how many times I have heard this?

What proof do you have?

Trust me they would fight about something,

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I used to be more anti-religious, but the longer I read about atheists, the more I am beginning to see the light.

Originally posted by whaaa
“What schools need is a moment of science,” reads another.

False Stereotyping #1: "Spiritual people are opposed to science"

Is it any wonder with these types of stories constantly in the news? www.abovetopsecret.com...

False Stereotype #2: "Spiritual people are murderers"

False Stereotype #3: "Spiritual people hate homosexuals"

Atheist groups are growing all over the United States, challenging stereotypes

Right.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
As an atheists, I find these "atheists groups" hilarious. I mean isn't this the meaning of "evangelical atheism"? pretty soon they'll go all around the country trying to force christians and others to change.

these atheists are acting very much like the religious groups they claim to dislike.
Forming groups, going around cities as an organization, posting signs...
It pretty much sounds like a church to me

I do not approve, it's groups like these that make all atheists look like fools.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by newworld

Im glad you see the contradiction. That proves that there are atheists who dont fall into the trap of becoming that which they oppose.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Darwin proved the existence of god.

When environmental changes occur, an organism (single-cell, multi-cell, mammal, reptile)has to decide on a cellular/genetic level whether to adapt or die.

They have that choice.

I think the bible calls it free will.

-let the flaming begin!!!-

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This is not shocking at all. Jesus predicted this 2000 years ago. Toward the end MANY will stray from God. The way I see it, if the atheist movement keeps growing, they will only be bringing us closer to the end. Their loss.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
This is not shocking at all. Jesus predicted this 2000 years ago. Toward the end MANY will stray from God. The way I see it, if the atheist movement keeps growing, they will only be bringing us closer to the end. Their loss.

you are aware that many people did not believe in this god since forever right? There's practically billions of people who don't even know your god exists, and there were billions of people who didn't believe in your god in the past. saying that people will "stray" from god was prophesied in the bible is a lie, because 2000 years ago there were MANY who did not even believe in this god. (it's like me making a prophecy that the moon will come out soon).

Anyway, although I do not approve of these atheists groups that appear to become like religions, shouldn't you be happy that this is happening?

i mean isn't the end of times something many people who believe in a god are waiting for?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

lol i guess so. When a Christian quotes bible passages he is brainwashed, when an atheist quotes dawkins they are educated. When christians get together and talk about god it is a church when athiests do it it is a social meeting.

Apparently when some Christians get together it is an excuse to spread hate and fear.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Perhaps this type of meetings might contribute to the rise in athiesism.

I don't know about atheism but what BOTH your threads do is spread the gospel of ignorance. What do you and hunka do this like a dog and pony or is it just dumb luck. How bout I show what an entire country does when its in a state of atheism?

Stalin ring a bell?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by newworld

you are aware that many people did not believe in this god since forever right? There's practically billions of people who don't even know your god exists, and there were billions of people who didn't believe in your god in the past. saying that people will "stray" from god was prophesied in the bible is a lie, because 2000 years ago there were MANY who did not even believe in this god. (it's like me making a prophecy that the moon will come out soon).

Anyway, although I do not approve of these atheists groups that appear to become like religions, shouldn't you be happy that this is happening?

i mean isn't the end of times something many people who believe in a god are waiting for?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

No you're the one that is wrong and so is your logic, you can't stray from a belief you never had so common sense would tell us the poster you are responding to is talking about those believers and their descendants.

So yes when the scriptures say the church and people in general will be against God, it is talking about the one everyone hates at that time and that would be the one anyone brings up in conversation.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

As an atheists, I find these "atheists groups" hilarious. I mean isn't this the meaning of "evangelical atheism"? pretty soon they'll go all around the country trying to force christians and others to change.

these atheists are acting very much like the religious groups they claim to dislike.
Forming groups, going around cities as an organization, posting signs...
It pretty much sounds like a church to me

I do not approve, it's groups like these that make all atheists look like fools.

Sam Harris writes in his letter to a Christian Nation the same thing and warns that very idea will be what happens if they don't stay under the radar.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stylez

No you're the one that is wrong and so is your logic, you can't stray from a belief you never had so common sense would tell us the poster you are responding to is talking about those believers and their descendants.

So yes when the scriptures say the church and people in general will be against God, it is talking about the one everyone hates at that time and that would be the one anyone brings up in conversation.

Actually, many people, for several thousands of years, HAVE strayed from their own belief systems, so my logic is not incorrect.
It is possible to get out of a belief system, it's called conversion.

In addition, what kind of church would be against it's god? care to elaborate on your last points?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Water-tastes-good
reply to post by ZeeSquared

Hey, do you honestly think statistics really matter? Who counts every individual on the planet? When you estimate, that is what is comes up to. No need for cursing by the way.

Hi, Water!

I hope I didn't sound abrasive in my reply to you up top. The quote is from Mark Twain and it's poking fun at all the statistics in the world we have and sometimes end up believing without question. The "damned lies" is part of the quote, so I was not cursing towards you or anyone. I just wanted to clear that up. I was hoping that the smiley at the end would let people know that my reply was to be taken as humor.

But aye, I don't think statistics matter at all hence the quote. You've answered it spot on in your reply as well - who would indeed count all the people in the world in order to make a claim that 2 billion so and so believe in this and that? It would be tedious, thus the statistics are estimated and not accurate at all, because in order for them to be accurate you would indeed have to count the billions of people in the world.

Here are two of my favorite quotes on statistics:
"98% of all statistics are made up."
"Then there is the man who drowned crossing a stream with an average depth of 6 inches." - W.I.E. Gates

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I used to be more anti-religious, but the longer I read about atheists, the more I am beginning to see the light.

“What schools need is a moment of science,” reads another.

False Stereotyping #1: "Spiritual people are opposed to science"

Is it any wonder with these types of stories constantly in the news? www.abovetopsecret.com...

False Stereotype #2: "Spiritual people are murderers"

False Stereotype #3: "Spiritual people hate homosexuals"

Atheist groups are growing all over the United States, challenging stereotypes

Right.

Oh my God (pun?) you really have connected quite a compelling set of dots there Moderator.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Why do atheists have meetings?

I mean, if they've all come to the conclusion that there is no god what is there to discuss? Do atheists have struggles with their 'faith' that call for group support to bring them back to the fold? Do they embark on evangelical recruiting missions and need to plan attacks and strategy?

I dont get it. What do they do?

I guess they believe science is the answer to all of life's questions, not some God.

To religious followers: If God is the answer to everything, why bother discussing it? Oh yeah - you will go to hell. Tis' a shame!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well...all I can say is: Thank God for that!
It's about damn time

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

aren't you funny today

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

the whole point is they are standing up to the unconstitutional "backslide", as they put it, which has been growing throughout the US, concerning separation of church and state.

It's more or less a political movement in the sense that we (myself included) are fed up with the religious influence in government and law and everything in between.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join