It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Polls show atheists on the rise in America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I am not an atheist. I do believe in a higher power but I certainly don't appreciate anyone knocking on my door at 8am with a copy of the "Watchtower" in their hands.

For Christians to stem the tide of creeping atheism, perhaps they should practice what they preach.

what does JW's preaching door to door have to do with christian's turning america into a theocracy?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
When so called "Atheists" pronounce Science as ultimate to Religious Beliefs, they are in fact doing nothing but furthering the already existent gap between the two. We have come a long way in trying to reconcile Science and Religion, yet you "Atheists" are flaunting and antagonizing the issue. Nice job.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566

Originally posted by whaaa
I am not an atheist. I do believe in a higher power but I certainly don't appreciate anyone knocking on my door at 8am with a copy of the "Watchtower" in their hands.

For Christians to stem the tide of creeping atheism, perhaps they should practice what they preach.

what does JW's preaching door to door have to do with christian's turning america into a theocracy?

In case you missed the memo, this Nation was founded upon Christian principles. A Theocracy we are not, but Christian we are.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
The whole world should be Atheist. That way we wouldn't have religious wars and people disagreeing on the invisible man in the sky.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RamsOnTop

Yea, if everyone was atheist then nobody would fight and we could all sit around the camp fire as friends talking about how stupid we were for believing in god.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by jd140]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Why do CHRISTIANS have meetings? What do they talk about? "We all believe that jesus was nailed to a cross and is dead now, right? Okay, good. What's next on the agenda.. We hate abortionists and freedom -- check. What else.. Jesus is still dead.. but he'll be back soon! What else.. hrm.. oh yea, give us money. Okay, see you tomorrow."

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RamsOnTop
The whole world should be Atheist. That way we wouldn't have religious wars and people disagreeing on the invisible man in the sky.

i agree, that way we can get back to fighting wars over money and greed like we usually do.

because we know that the iraqi was was over religion.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

They don't have meetings. They have sermons.

Meetings you go to and participate in the discussion.

Sermons you go to and hear someone speak.

But you knew that, you was just nitpicking, trying to be clever.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
In case you missed the memo, this Nation was founded upon Christian principles. A Theocracy we are not, but Christian we are.

What disinformation did you get that notion from?

Our Nation is founded on Hermetic and many Masonic principles, along with some Platonic, Pythagorean, but mostly Iroquois principles. Our Constitution is plagiarized with some ideas from those god-less French heathens, atheists and pantheists Diderot, Voltaire, Rousseau, and Montesquieu thrown in for good measure.

As for our Founding Fathers, they made clear that the United States was not, is not, nor shalt be, a Christian Nation or founded on Christian principles:

Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli (June 7, 1797). Article 11 states:

"The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion."

From a letter to Charles Cushing (October 19, 1756):

"Twenty times in the course of my late reading, have I been upon the point of breaking out, 'this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it.'"

From a letter to Thomas Jefferson:

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved -- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"

Additional quotes from John Adams:

"Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?"

"The Doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity."

"...Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind."

Yes, some of our Founding Fathers were Christian, but not all, nor most. Some of the few that were Christian were both Christian and Masonic, or even had affiliations with the Hellfire Club!

I think it would be safer to say that our Nation was founded on principles of the Enlightenment to ensure the Freedom of All Creeds.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm not atheist nor am i religious, I'm just a human, the moment you label yourself, you have lied to yourself

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
this is good news.... the sooner humans get the religion monkey off ther backs the better. common sense is better than religious storytelling.. as far as i can tell religion causes way more trouble than anything else... it always has, always will, so the sooner we rid ourselves of it the better we can all just get along... to coin a phrase.. same goes with political parties.. we should just get rid of them, vote for the people instead of the party... ya know..

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Water-tastes-good
As a Christian, to me this is just another sign for the end times.

There was a poll somewhere here on the internet about religious affiliations and such and it mentions that there are 2 Billion Christians in the world today. 1.5 Billion Muslims, then 1 Billion atheists. Of course, all other religious statistics are present there as well. I think it they did the survey between 2004-2007. Not too sure though.

I would like to suggest a thought process when interpreting statistics about a subject:
"There are lies, damned lies, and then there's statistics."

(:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

As a Christian, to me this is just another sign for the end times.

No, this is the end of times where freaks fool the mentally-vulnerable with ridiculous stories that for SOME REASON NO ONE CAN SUBSTANTIATE.

Dont you think if someone could part the red sea, that someone else would have picked it up and dropped it on top of Washington DC, or Israel???

I am an Atheist and I approved this message.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I think one of the reasons they have meetings is for moral support and such. A lot of atheists have converted to such after being in a religion and seeing its flaws and fallacies. Religion is damn good at indoctrinating people and only the strongest escape such and manage to live normally without religion and without questioning if what they did was right. I don't believe in religion but wouldn't say I am atheist. I am described as leaving things unknown until real evidence can prove such. I lean towards agnosticism.

After long indoctrination moral support is needed for many leaving a religion. Not only that but friends think alike and many people look to create groups for strength and unity. Makes sense to me anyway.

We don't need religion anymore. We don't have to have it to be spiritual. It is a long lived lie that penetrates the weak and wanting and I am ready for it to be gone with, any day now.

Edit: I guess I can't spell atheist. lol

[edit on 27-8-2009 by N3krostatic]

[edit on 27-8-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeeSquared

Hey, do you honestly think statistics really matter? Who counts every individual on the planet? When you estimate, that is what is comes up to. No need for cursing by the way.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Critical_Mass

"No, this is the end of times where freaks fool the mentally-vulnerable with ridiculous stories that for SOME REASON NO ONE CAN SUBSTANTIATE."

Go ahead and call me stupid. Mock me all you want to. Doesn't bother me one bit.

"Dont you think if someone could part the red sea, that someone else would have picked it up and dropped it on top of Washington DC, or Israel???"

No.

"I am an Atheist and I approved this message."

You and apparently the other two atheists that starred your post.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Water-tastes-good

It's very hard to understand your posts when you just use typed quotes.

Use the yellow quote function in the reply section like this.....

You and apparently the other two atheists that starred your post.

Oh, I starred his post and I'm not an atheist.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I actually do not like doing....

this

Sorry if it is hard to read.

"No, this is the end of times where freaks fool the mentally-vulnerable with ridiculous stories that for SOME REASON NO ONE CAN SUBSTANTIATE."

So then you do not believe in the Christian God? Just a form of Higher Power that you would just classify as an unknown?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Darwin only works for how life could have evolved here on this rock in space.

Everything that exists here and "out there" at some point become a singular.

A One I would suppose. What ever it is that is my god.I believe that is what the word universe really means.

Religions are man made they work only here and among humans.

I want to believe in some thing far greater than that which encompasses all that exists,NOW.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

So then you do not believe in the Christian God? Just a form of Higher Power that you would just classify as an unknown?

I don't even know what a Christian God is.

Do you mean the one in the Bible; a collection of plagerized stories from other previous cultures? I guess the answer is NO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join