It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congo sues Norway for $500 BILLION dollars!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Congo sues Norway for $500 BILLION dollars!

stormen.wordpress.com

In the Republic of Congo, a surreal scenario is playing out: Two Norwegian citizens, Tjostolv Moland and Joshua French, have been jailed, apparently due to involvement in a murderscene in which an innocent cabdriver was killed. The Republic of Congo claims the Norwegians killed the driver over a money dispute – the Norwegians claims they were nothing more than witnesses to the crime, perpetrated by unknown gunmen in the middle of the jungle.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dagbladet.no
www.vg.no
www.aftenposten.no

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Now, I have never witnessed something more idiotic and crazy than this in my 23 years on this planet.. Do the Republic of Congo really think they will get 500 billion dollars from Norway after this unfair joke of a trial ? No way !!! This trial is just amazing... I have links to many more articles on this story, but they all are in Norwegian and I don't know any good translation pages on the net that really translate it all correctly... If some of you guys do, please let me know... the links are below..

stormen.wordpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
wow, a totally frivolous lawsuit. The congo must be making its way into the first world.

congrats to them.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by skekke

There may be more to the story . I do not speak Norwegian so corroberating this is difficult .....

A comment left on the blog : posted by Stian

Many of the statements you make are simply not true, and you are clearly putting national empathies in front of blind justice.

These are not backpackers, they were working for a security company not that much unlike the American private security companies you’ve heard about in Iraq.

The events on the night of the murder are at times very unclear, as you have Moland and French claiming they witnessed the murder, and at the same time witnesses attesting to seeing Moland and French commiting the murder.

Furthermore, the papers they were carrying were not driver licenses, but ID-papers issued by the Norwegian Armed Forces, and if these papers are found to still be valid, then yes, they acted on behalf of the Norwegian government, which would then be responsible for the murder, IF solid evidence ties Moland and French to the murder.

I too, as a fellow Norwegian, sympathize with Moland and French, as I question the fairness of their trial, but justice must be held above such sympathies. If they are found guilty, they must pay for their crimes.

link

edit to add link.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
According to the CIA Fact Book on Norway...

CIA World Factbook - Norway

18-44 years of age for male compulsory military service; 16 years of age in wartime; 17 years of age for male volunteers; 18 years of age for women; 12-month service obligation, in practice shortened to 8 to 9 months; although all males between ages of 18 and 44 are liable for service, in practice they are seldom called to duty after age 30; reserve obligation to age 35-60; 16 years of age for volunteers to the Home Guard, who serve 6-month duty tours (2009)

So, the fact that they might have ID cards from the Norwegian Military is not really surprising, since the military is compulsory and they have at least a 12 month obligation.

On a less serious note, when I first saw the photo, I thought it was a Geico ad. Also, something tells me that the chance of a fair trial in a country that has plastic chairs in their courtroom is pretty slim.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

I don't see how they acted on the behalf of Norway...
The only thing they were doing was tour guiding and some security work in the country like protecting ships for pirates and so on... Not for the Norwegian army, but fore themselves
Now the Congolese also accuses a press photographer in Norway for being the commander in charge in this so called "conspiracy" against Congo... He has never been in the military, neither had anything to do with this SIG group.. That has been verified.. This whole trial is a pile of crap... Lies lies and more lies from the Congolese... A corrupt and unfair trial...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Five Hunderd Billion Dollars ?

I`m sorry what to they want to do ? Clone a Mini-Me
?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
note to self.
still never ever go to africa.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
The events on the night of the murder are at times very unclear, as you have Moland and French claiming they witnessed the murder, and at the same time witnesses attesting to seeing Moland and French commiting the murder.

Remember this is a country where witnesses in one typical example have claimed to have seen female witches morph into big cats, run across a motorway, into a taxi and attack it's occupants - after which they turn back into humans and an angry mob set upon them and nearly beat the 'witches' to death.

This was covered by a Western reporter who was there at the time and confirmed that the women were just minding their own business but suffered at the hands of the mob due to the tribal culture that is prevalent there - if the cameras weren't there the women would probably have been raped too.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The trial in Congo went from being a joke to a great comedy

When I read that they sued Norway for $500 billion, I understand how incredibly stupid they are.

If they need money, they better go buy a lottery ticket instead, they are not getting a penny from us!

Why the hell would we send so called "spies" to Congo? Why do we wanna spy on them? To see how they build they're wood houses in the middle of the forest? Don't think so...

It's just ridiculous.

Edit:

translate.google.com

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Maarius]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
There used to be a time where disputes between countries meant a time for war. Now they file lawsuits????

[edit on 27-8-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maarius
The trial in Congo went from being a joke to a great comedy

When I read that they sued Norway for $500 billion, I understand how incredibly stupid they are.

If they need money, they better go buy a lottery ticket instead, they are not getting a penny from us!

The Congo Lawsuit Scam is the new Nigerian 419 Scam. The Congoese are showing those Nigerians up as being so 20th century in their money-making schemes! Congo is progressive, and markedly so in their 21st century money-making scheme.

To Americans it's all 19th century sham, flim-flam, and tom-foolery...after peddling snake-oil, bridges, monuments, and the creation of the Ponzi scheme, the 19th century Confidence Trick hustle is all old news.

However, in economic bad times, you see more and more of these things happening. I'm sure we'll see plenty more shake-downs followed by attempted grifts and swindles.

If Norway were smart, they'd send the Congo a consolation prize of gumballs and Bennigan's coupons like the U.N. did for Canada in South Park's "Canada on Strike".

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

War..?

Sorry if this dissapoints you, but we Norwegians are not excactly the war mongering types. We are more into peace.

Actually The Nobel Peace Prize is presented in Oslo every year to "the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

Nobel Peace Prize

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Well, aside from giving out the peace price, we also have Kongsberg arms factory, and the "famous" raufoss cal. 50 ammo that gives another impression than being a peaceloving country. Im not starting a debate here, im just mentioning the paradox.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
There used to be a time where disputes between countries meant a time for war. Now they file lawsuits????

You'd rather people were killed instead of money changing hands? How far to the right has America shifted over these past 8 years...

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
$500 Billion? I wonder if that includes the usual processing and administration fees that go with these scams?

I look forward to hearing how this is going to be implemented. Send a couple of bailiffs to Norway?
"Mr Stolteberg? Mr Stolteberg? We know you're in there! We've come to repossess your country"

I hope that Tjostolv Moland and Joshua French are safe.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Hey you know how lawsuits work, you sue for 5 million, you might get 50k.
So they hike the price up to 500B, to possibly get 5 million.
Basically extortion as I see it we will give back your citizens if you pay us money.
Probably not a good idea to go on holiday to Congo if you ask me.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
They say they didnt do it, but it dosent matter in a contry like Congo.
It is corruption that is the law down there, and this is nothing more than an Govt. kidnaping with the intent of collecting randsom on these two Norwegians...

I bet you , if they are found Not guilty, there has been a payout under the counter between the Govts..

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Has Norway received an email showing the court ruling and inviting them to give their bank account details?

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

I don't think Congo gets no more than a slap in the face after people see how ridiculous this trial was handled by the Congolese Military generals and police chiefs.. And I read yesterday that 95% of all trials in Congo is handled like this.. In Congo you have no such thing as "innocent until proven guilty" you're just "guilty until proven innocent"..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join