It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Just came across this article Placebos Are Getting More Effective. Drugmakers Are Desperate to Know Why.

It's not that the old meds are getting weaker, drug developers say. It's as if the placebo effect is somehow getting stronger.

It struck me as odd, how are placebos becoming more effective? I personally beleive that we are becoming inrcreasingly dependant of perscription medication. So much that just thinking your pill does something creates a greater effect then before.

-E-

[edit on 27-8-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
It could also have to do with the consciousness shift everyone talks about. Maybe the power of thought is strengthening?

I could be very wrong though, but that's just what popped into my mind.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I used to think that the body and mind were a computing system with nothing more then electrical signals sent from sensors to receptors, but it is clear to me now that it is far more complex then that.

-E-

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Yes, that is what's happening. Peoples minds are getting stronger therefor resulting in a faster healing rate. Within 10 yeras we will have no need for the FDA anymore (like we ever did :@@

@MysterE: You have no idea. The brain is the bodies connection to the mind and soul, but science only trys to figure out the bodily purpose of it. Leaving the rest of humanity in the dark.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I wonder how many of the people taking the placebo of say a depression pill were taking the actual depression pill and for how long?

What are the chances that over time on a medication, if it is stopped cold turkey, but you keep taking an empty capsule, that the body/brain itself recognizes this and then produces a similar effect itself using what the body has available to it?

Brain "Oh geesh here comes that pill again OK body you know what to do"
Body "Yup he/she needs more dopamine we'll start pushing more out"

It is quite interesting though and if true could save not only money but save on side effects of the actual pills.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The mind controls the body simple as, anyone can fight disease to a certain extent if they want to. And the only reason these companies want to find out is so that they can find a way around it and shovel you their crap.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
As a person who has dabbled with various illicit substances over time I have felt the effects of substance abuse, addiction, withdrawal etc. Not once have I been down any of those dark holes however, and even through bouts of withdrawal I never used another substance to prop me up - which is a falsity in itself anyway as you're trading one dependency for another.

In contrast to this I have VERY rarely used medication for illness and I have had very few vaccinations - I haven't been on a "foreign" holiday for 18+ years and so never needed innoculations. What is strange is the fact that I am hardly ever ill, cuts and bruises heal in days and I have never broken a bone (excluding my nose, which is cartilidge anyway) despite many hard knocks.

I'm not aware of anything conscious I do to "heal" myself, my diet is adequate, I have around 70bpm heart rate, good blood pressure and the few health checks I've had say I'm in great shape. I do drink a lot of water, exercise sporadically - sometimes I work a lot (programmer) and sometimes I play drums a lot. Good genes? My family has a history of diabetes, arthritis etc so maybe not... Who knows what the mind does at this stage.

On a final note what I can say is that if I experience anything negative I am able to focus my mind on other things with a lot of ease and completely detract from the negativity. I have also "imagined" areas of my body that experienced pain as though it were being healed - I felt NOTHING at the time but maybe it contributed to my quick recovery?

new topics

top topics

join