It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity conversion FOR ALL

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Reply to post by Sigismundus

it's not like I am tryingto cnvert you or anything. There's no skin offmy back regardless of your beliefs, you are entitled to them.

As far as Jesus being racist-zionist, it's a load of rubbish, IMO. It's been translated and retranslatedso many times that despite you saying it was "cleaned up" doesn't negate the fact that it's just as easy to "dirty up". You may take things too literally if you are translating every single word that came from the man's mouth. That's probably why Jesus spoke in parables so often. So that his words wouldn't be misconstrued or translated improperly to have a sadistic racist agenda to them.

Either way, you are entitled to your opinion as am I. See moniker.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
While I doubt that anyone could convince me to worship anyone, ethereal or otherwise, I can tell you for certain, that it would require AT LEAST, an original theme.

The problem with Christianity, is that NONE of the stories in the holy book, are original to Christianity. They've all been lifted from other, much older accounts of miracles, attributed to the "God" or Gods favored by this culture or that sect at that specific time in ancient history.

I figure, the least you could do is come up with some new material.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by uaocteaou

I think that is because at one point in time these "stories" had crediblity to them. Now they've been spread so widely through the separaton of cultures/language/religion that we really have no foundation to set them on. We may know that a few stories were typically pagan or whatever, but they've exchanged hands so many times it's ridiculous. It's hard to believe in something that has had it's credibility smashed and/or questioned for thousands of years.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It is time to put to rest the myth that Christianity is the "only one true faith," rather than one possible path out of many.

The attitude of total intolerance for other paths is seen in all the Abrahamic faiths, but it need not be an integral part of any of them. For example, Nestorian Christians in Asia flourished for almost 1,000 years accepting the validity of other faiths...why can't a similar form of Christianity be resurrected? On this matter, I believe Christianity should take a page from Taoism, Buddhism, Shinto, etc., none of which claim exclusive access to the truth.

"Many paths, one mountain" -Old Zen saying.

[edit on 9/8/09 by silent thunder]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Another point...rather than debating whether or not a given religion is "literally true," why not look at it from a mythic standpoint? Myths are neither "true" nor "untrue." Rather, they are elaborate metaphors that convey deep truths about life. For example, "coming of age" rituals in hunter-gatherer societies help adolescents deal with the frustration and difficulty of leaving childhood behind and becoming an adult. Many involve stories and rituals of death (death of childhood) and rebirth (as an adult). Are these stories "true" in a literal sense? No. Are they valuable? YES.

If Christianity could view iteself more along these lines, it would be an enormous improvement, IMHO. The question of "is such-and-such literally true or not" takes up far too much of people's involvement with Christianity.

"Religion is poetry-plus, not science-minus." -Krister Stendahl

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Reply to post by silent thunder

I completely agree. Many paths, one mountan. That's a terrific way to put it.

Although you do know that it will never be laid to rest. There will always be narrow minded individuals who think they know the answer - blind faith. I'm a Christian and I rarely associate with other christians for the simple fact that a LOT of them have that know-it-all attitude. In fact, almost 90% of my friends are athiests now that I think about it...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by System

Originally posted by iHateMasses
Sparked up from a previous post...

Nothing against Christians, but every time someone has tried to convert me to Christianity, it always started, and ended with the following three.

1. Do you know your lord a savior?
2. You need to learn who your god is because he loves you.
3. Don't you want to be saved?

To an extent I pretty much believe all of the books of modern day religion other than the book of mormon, and scientology... I don't take it all literally, and I see it more as an ancient description of historical events described as best as possible.

Now if I were to try to convert someone to something I believed would help them in their lives, telling them that a fiery death or else, would be the last thing to say. But that's just me

So could someone tell me why this is the mainstream method on Christian conversion?

I believe it is the mainstream method for Christian conversions because fear works. It works really well.

I've be asked a few times, "Don't you want to be saved?". But no one has ever really tried hard to convert me. I've actually converted a number of agnostics to athiests. I wasn't trying to. We were just discussing religion and they finally realised how stupid it all was.

As for the holy books being an ancient description of historical events. I just can't believe that. They are either inaccurate or just flat out lies. But that's what I've heard and seen quoted. I have never read any holy book. Never plan to.

here's a different side of it for you. You are a sinner and are worthy of death for it but, God sent his son to die for you and he took your sin away all you have to do is believe in the God of Jesus. He freed you from slavery to satan and sin the chains of bondage have been broken, the prison cells open wide he came into the darkness and gave you light so you may see and repent. His love is deep and wide as far as the east is from the west. every religion on earth is based on works, you have to purchase it with your deeds with the God of Abraham,Isaac, & Jacob who's Son is Jesus Christ paid for it with his life and all you have to do is believe with your heart and confess him with your mouth. He gave you a new contract (covenant) in which he adopts you has his son and gives you an inheritance in heaven. He then gives you eternal life and with being heir with God he has given you his authority here on earth to do the works that Jesus did. Power over the works of the Devil, Power over sickness and disease, Power to preach righteousness and convert sinners. On top of that he gave you the Holy Ghost as a companion here on Earth the 3rd part of the Trinity to confirm his word to teach you, to empower you and to give you boldness. Most importantly he restores you to righteousness meaning you can come boldly to him and know him. God did all this because he loves you and wants to have a relationship with you. he loves you more than you have ever loved anything in your life. This is the true and living God and there is no other. All other Gods are false! They are dead! Be no decieved there are many that walk around saying they are the christ, there are many that want to decieve you into false religions they want to bring you down into the pit of hell but Repent! Believe in the one true God!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus

"Yes Lord." she said "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master's table."

Then Jesus answered "Woman you have great faith! Your request is granted." and her daughter was healed from that very hour.

WOW!!!

Seem's like you LEFT OUT a couple of VERSES that put a different spin on the story, how about that, Jesus did heal this Canaanite women's daughter.
WHY.....because of her FAITH. She believed and she knew in her heart that when she saw Jesus that he was the annointed one, thr true Son of the Living God.

It is because of my faith, I believe too

Peace to you in the name of our Heavenly Father!
Grandma

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Hi Grandma

The fact that the poor Lebanese gentile 'dog' grovelled at the feet of the socalled Son of David in order to pander to his ego, and then begrudgingly, he heals her daughter of a 'bleeder daemon', is no credit to (or excuse for) her either.

The story is RACIST ZIONIST from start to finish. The fact that she admitted to being a filthy gentile dog (who are 'unworthy of the life, for they have no souls', according to the Gospel of Phillip) even for the sake of clever-arguing with a racist rebbe ('yeah, but even cockroaches get to eat the crumbs on the floor, Rabbi !!) makes it all the more heinous.

She should have told him where to get off. I certainly would have told him in no uncertain terms where he could stick his racist gentile dog comments, and let me tell you, the sun 'don't shine there'.

But then, looked what happend to him. Just goes to show you 'what goes around comes around' or as he put it, 'one reaps what one sows...' !!

And when I read again and again and again and again of these kinds of racist antiGentile statements in the Dead Sea Scroll corpus, or in the later Rabinnic literature (some of it spouted by R. Meir Kahane and his grotesque protege Dr Rabbi Baruch Goldstein, may his bones be dust) it makes me livid.

Don't defend this racist Weltanschauung to me. It's sickening.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
When people try to tell you about eternity in hell, they do it out of concern. Can you understand the concept behind that? There is a hell and you are right, Jesus desires that no one should enter it.

What is a poor agnostic/athiest to do?

I mean there is this constant battle for his soul, all these well meaning christians out there are concerned for him and want him to see the light so he doesnt burn in hell. Its for his own good. Theyre doing it out of their love for fellow man.

Of course, there a Muslims out there who think the same thing. If the poor guy doesnt accept allah, then hes doomed. Not only do they think that, but naturally they think the christian who was trying to save the guy by finding jesus, is doomed as well.

And obvously the muslim is off to hell in the christians eyes.

So the poor agnostic/athiest is stuck. The christians say they have the only right way to salvation. They KNOW it. Any other way leads you to hell. The muslim says the same. Throw in other people from other religions who KNOW their way is the only way too.

How does one decide what is the right way, when for his own good multiple people want to show him it. The evidence provided by all is the same. It just is the right way. Thats it, plain and simple.

What ever way you go, your doomed in someones eyes. And even those who KNOW theyre saved, are doomed in the eyes of others who KNOW they are really the ones who are saved.

Its easier to keep out of the whole mess. Its just a shame the battle to save our souls (for our own good), cant be done without us. Maybe some kind of Friday night spectacular, where people of all religions get together and battle it out for the unconverted, while the unconverted can just get on with thir Friday night in peace. After all, maybe the unconverted KNOW theyre gonna be just fine.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join