It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graphic U.K. Video Targets Texting While Driving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is a British car-crash re-enactment used to draw attention to the potentially tragic consequences of texting while driving. I think we understand the potential dangers do we really need videos like this on our T.V sets?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Alot of my friends can drive and they all started before they where 20. Now, i gotta admit it, there all a little...over-confident. Only one of them is stupid enough to read texts while he drives (hes had 2 crashes, 1 write off and hes only 20) I refuse to get in a car with him.

I think adverts such as that are a great thing. Not only did that show what danger you put yourself at but what danger you're putting others into.
At the end of the day its not only you on the road so people shouldnt act so stupid and text others while driving.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadoralive
I think we understand the potential dangers do we really need videos like this on our T.V sets?

I'm not at all sure the danger is understood, or people wouldn't be doing it.

Accident Statistics

# Over 60 percent of American teens admit to risky driving, and nearly half of those that admit to risky driving also admit to text messaging behind the wheel.
# Each year, 21% of fatal car crashes involving teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 were the result of cell phone usage. This result has been expected to grow as much as 4% every year.
# Almost 50% of all drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 are texting while driving.
# Over one-third of all young drivers, ages 24 and under, are texting on the road.
# Teens say that texting is their number one driver distraction.

I think the ad was great. It should be shown all over. Having an accident is a graphic and horrible occasion and we should be reminded...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Thank you for your reply.

I gotta agree with you there, texting whilst driving is just plain stupid and like you said it endangers others aswell as yourself. Although I don't like to see my 4 year old daughter seeing things like this on T.V if it saves lives it's well worth it.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Hi, thanks for the stats. I think people just don't understand the likelihood of it happening to them. They must understand the danger surely? I live in a really small town, my uncle is a fireman here and has to respond to road accidents on an almost daily basis, some of the story's tells me where people were texting when it happened are just horrible especially when children are injured or worse, everybody hears about it, (yep that's how small this town is) yet it happens again, and again. It just makes me mad when people don't use their common sense.

CX

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
As someone who used to attend accidents like these frequently, i'd say yes we do need adverts as graphic as this.

Why? Because people still don't think it will ever happen to them.

On occasions when i was posted in Germany, they would leave the car involved outside the barracks gates for a few weeks. It certainly made you think twice about doing something stupid in your car, especially if you knew who it belonged to.

CX.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadoralive
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

...Although I don't like to see my 4 year old daughter seeing things like this on T.V ...

And thats the point, you don't like your daughter to see it, she probably doesn't like to see it. I would guess you yourself would choose not to see it given the choice, as would most of us.

One thing Britian does well is adverts on dangerous driving... we like to show the hard hitting effects and utterly shock and try to repulse people...if we can't get to people through common sense then hopefully a bit of shock tactics will work.

Like you said...if it saves lives it's worth seeing it.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I think we need these videos, if opens peoples eyes but it also reminds me of the crash my m8 had hes a teen just passed his test but it wasnt his fault. however it was the same reason why the other driver had his phone out.

When he hit us, he T boned the car and it made us do a flip and a 360 turn, my head got put through the side window and i clashed heads with my m8 who was driving. I was not hurt enough to be stuck in the car however the other driver was who i had to help whilst i had a broken eye socket, glass in my head and blood pouring from me.

I hope he remembers my face and doesnt use his mobile again i know i wont

so these films are great for all people to rmemeber what can happen.

new topics

top topics

join