It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urgent: Can anyone help me find the source of this memo to FDR?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Here is the memo, supposedly relating to the Battle of LA incident. Yet on the FDR online library, I couldn't find any reference to it. Is it a hoax?

www.militarymuseum.org...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Shino

It is legit, although it doesn't say the incident was caused by alien spacecraft. At that time it was believed by the Army that something real was there, while the Navy thought it was war nerves. Either way, it is still unknown today. Here is a description of your document:

In 1974, due to a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, a memorandum regarding the incident was released. Written by General George C. Marshall for President Franklin Roosevelt, and dated February 26, 1942, Marshall wrote that the "Air Raid" incident was due to "unidentified airplanes, other than American Army or Navy planes [which] were probably sighted over Los Angeles [and moved from] 'very slow' to as much as 200 mph and from elevations of 9000 to 18,000 feet."[9] Because the objects did not seem to be part of any attack, Marshall speculated that the craft might have been commercial airplanes used as a sort of psychological warfare campaign to generate panic. This very likely was the Chief of Staff report cited by Secretary of War Stimson in his press statement the same day.

en.wikipedia.org...

EDIT to add relevant link to L.A. thread: The Smoking (Anti-Aircraft) Guns (of Los Angeles, 1942)

[edit on 8/27/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I couldn't find this on the FDR website. Any reference for this basically just has the image, but nothing from an official source. I know it's on Wiki but anyone can edit that page

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
All of the elements of the document are consistent with it's date. The letterhead and typeface is consistent. Even the Declassified stamp and the Date & Signature of admittance into the Roosevelt Library by Carl L. Spicer is consistent with other FDR Documents received by the Roosevelt Library. The only thing that is odd is that Carl L. Spicer usually notated an internal catalog number at the bottom of a received document beneath his Signature, but all of the other samples I compared it with were received during the 1960s, so it's possible this was a later practice.

If it is a forgery, the person covered all their bases as I am inclined to say that it is indeed authentic.

What I would do is the following:

Contact the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library directly with a request for research with your question to this document's authenticity. You can make a formal request at [email protected] or by facsimile at (845) 486-1147, or telephone the Research Room at (845) 486-1142

When you send them your research question, be as specific as possible with your inquiry, including the date of the document, General George C. Marshall's name, and a copy of the document that might assist them. Their staff will generally respond to all research inquiries within ten working days of receipt.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by fraterormus]

new topics

top topics

join