It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Russia Posturing For War With The US?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Hi All,

The title states it all. Russia has deployed their highly advanced, and widely reported upon missle defense system as stated in the article; "The Far East". They reportedly did this to shield themselves from North Korea, but I don't think North Korea has ever been much of a threat to Russia. Especially considering they are on the opposite side of Russia of most Russian infrastructure, culture, and government.

However, what is over on their "Far East" is US friendly Japan, South Korea, and not to much further the Continental USA.

The amount of missiles deployed doesn't seem like that much, but the overall transfer of there seems odd. Something to definitely keep an eye on. Here's the full article below with a link.

en.rian.ru...

Russia has deployed advanced S-400 Triumf air defense systems in the Far East to counter the potential threat posed by N. Korea's missile tests, the chief of General Staff said on Wednesday. "We have already deployed a battalion of the S-400 systems in Russia's Far East in order to guarantee protection from failed launches of [N. Korean] missiles and to ensure that the fragments of these missiles never fall on Russian territory," Gen. Nikolai Makarov told a news conference in the capital of Mongolia. North Korea has test launched several ballistic missiles from its eastern coast since January. The missiles are believed to be Scud-type and traveled up to 500 kilometers (300 miles) before falling into the Sea of Japan. Makarov said Moscow was concerned over the proximity of North Korea's missile launch sites to Russia's borders, and would continue to take preventive measures, including the use of sophisticated air defense systems, to protect the country from failed launches. The S-400 Triumf (SA-21 Growler) is designed to intercept and destroy airborne targets at distances of up to 400 kilometers (250 miles), twice the range of the U.S. MIM-104 Patriot, and two-and-a-half times that of Russia's S-300PMU-2. The system is also believed to be able to destroy stealth aircraft, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles, and is effective at ranges of up to 3,500 kilometers (2,200 miles) and speeds of up to 4.8 kilometers (3 miles) per second. A regular S-400 battalion comprises at least eight launchers with 32 missiles and a mobile command post, according to various sources. The new state arms procurement program until 2015 stipulates the purchase of enough S-400 air defense systems to arm 18 battalions during this period. Russia has previously deployed two S-400 regiments to protect the airspace around Moscow and industrial regions in the central part of the country.

Wake Up, Stand Up,

Sancho

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Well, now that we are "divided" , so to speak. Russia knows America is falling, we are broken..good time to take over...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yummy Freelunch
Well, now that we are "divided" , so to speak. Russia knows America is falling, we are broken..good time to take over...

God, I want to attack, debate and rebuttal that.

But I can't I know it's true, I know it's honest.

And that I tell you, is what worries me the most....

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Was the US posturing for war with Russia when it decided to deploy its ABM system in Western Europe?

The Russians are as entitled to defend their territory as anyone else is, aren't they? Why would this be a precursor to anything?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I think that the majority of people in the west have become so comfortable with their consumer filled lifestyles, that they have forgotten about the possibility of a war with Russia. Those living in what was the former soviet union seem to be more hardend individuals who have not become soft like we have in the west.

I think this is important to remember, should there be any future deterioration in relationships.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
The troops overseas.The economy in shambles.The people politicaly divided and demorilized over broken campaign promises.A Russian ad campaign a few weeks ago portraying Putin as"a man of action".All make me very nervous.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

God, I want to attack, debate and rebuttal that.

But I can't I know it's true, I know it's honest.

And that I tell you, is what worries me the most....

I know, huh? It even hurt to write it!! I almost deleted it, but thought..my god, its true!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Take over with what?

As bad as the worst western countries are economically, Russia is ten times worse, it is falling apart at the seams.

Its infrastructure is completely failing, its banks are collapsing, its currency is deteriorating rapidly and its population is decreasing.

Add the fact that the EU is its biggest trading partner and the EU & US are pretty much partners in crime, the Russians would be completely insane to try and posture for war against the US.

Obviously there is a power vacuum emerging seeing as the US empire is disappearing and Russia will be trying to take what it can while also holding its own but this missile defense system against N Korea does exactly what it says on the tin. It ensures N Korea can't just flip out and launch Nukes at any eastern Russian cities and shows the world that the Russian federation won't allow itself to be or feel threatened.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I think that the majority of people in the west have become so comfortable with their consumer filled lifestyles, that they have forgotten about the possibility of a war with Russia. Those living in what was the former soviet union seem to be more hardend individuals who have not become soft like we have in the west.

Do you know any Russians?

Anyone I know from the Russian federation are exactly like us.. well maybe more like eastern EU. ie. Slightly different but still the same.

No point in stereotyping them all into some form of battle hardened, Spetsnaz ex commie
killing machines.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

As bad as the worst western countries are economically, Russia is ten times worse, it is falling apart at the seams. Its infrastructure is completely failing, its banks are collapsing, its currency is deteriorating rapidly and its population is decreasing.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Surely the question should be, is America posturing for a war with Russia? After all they continue to delve into Russia's sphere of influence setting up bases and pushing for an expansion of NATO. Georgia were clearly given the greenlight to invade South Ossetia last year, and were completly left out on a limb when it became clear the Russians were not going to take it.

Lets not muck about here either, the missile defence system the U.S want to place in Europe has nothing to do with the Iranians and everything to do with the Russians.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Take over with what?

As bad as the worst western countries are economically, Russia is ten times worse, it is falling apart at the seams.

Its infrastructure is completely failing, its banks are collapsing, its currency is deteriorating rapidly and its population is decreasing.

Add the fact that the EU is its biggest trading partner and the EU & US are pretty much partners in crime, the Russians would be completely insane to try and posture for war against the US.

Obviously there is a power vacuum emerging seeing as the US empire is disappearing and Russia will be trying to take what it can while also holding its own but this missile defense system against N Korea does exactly what it says on the tin. It ensures N Korea can't just flip out and launch Nukes at any eastern Russian cities and shows the world that the Russian federation won't allow itself to be or feel threatened.

I dont know what they'd take over with...umm..maybe cigarettes and beer! We'd all give up!

Seriously, you are right, I have a couple friends from Russia that I talk to, and they arent in the best shape there, either.

But man, they can fight!! Have you seen those videos on how they train their armies..Im gonna get slack for this, I know...but hell, those are some tough ass guys!! But then again, Europe's football teams are ten times tougher than what ours are...

*prepares to have rocks thrown at her*

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
According to Zbigniew Brzezinski and his "The Grand Chessboard", the plan is to have Russia fight China.

Brzezinski sets the tone for his strategy by describing Russia and China as the two most important countries -- almost but not quite superpowers - whose interests that might threaten the U.S. in Central Asia. Of the two, Brzezinski considers Russia to be the more serious threat. Both nations border Central Asia. In a lesser context he describes the Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Iran and Kazakhstan as essential "lesser" nations that must be managed by the U.S. as buffers or counterweights to Russian and Chinese moves to control the oil, gas and minerals of the Central Asian Republics (Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikis
tan, and Kyrgyzstan).

www.ratical.org...

www.voltairenet.org...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
During the Cold War we did come very close to having a war with Russia. But we have a very long way to go to get to that point again. I think both sides will do whatever they can to avoid war at all costs. Everyone knows it will be a huge mistake and there will be no winners.

As another poster said, they have every right to defend themselves and that is all that is happening. If there is going to be a war then I'm sure it wont be anytime soon. We would have to have complete idiots in power to start a war now.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I have this friend who works in developing circuitry in a new "class" of missiles.

Point is he told me an odd story over lunch one day couple years back.

Case in fact he had to quickly hard wire a "kill switch" on the back of a new radar system on board a communications monitoring plane of some sort.

Like I said normally he works on circuitry for missiles but his boss said he needed his help to prepare for an inspection they were not informed of. His boss thought he was the best qualified for the job which was to bypass a portion of the mainframe and make a physical switch to do so.

This took him a day working all night and into the next morning.

This switch he installed made the system power up and appear operational, however
it was not "working to its potential" IF you powered up by flipping the switch he installed.

The next morning after he completed his work the boss told him to stick around for the inspection...

Well to his surprise who comes on board the plane for the inspection?

"about ten Russian brass and scientists + a couple US military brass and contractors"

Then to his amazement the Russian scientist start messing with the equipment all over the plane. While the brass from both countries start shooting the breeze and laughing.

Then one of the Russian scientists asks how to turn on the system. So my friend shows the scientist the switch he has just installed and the Russian proceeds to "turn on" the system and briefly mess with it...

I was floored to hear this obviously - I could not believe the story,but he said in fact Russia and the US have some sort of agreement to inspect some portions of each others military research and technologies.

Friend said "they can see and touch any outside the casing, however "we" are not allowed tell them anything about what they are dealing with or observing."

So after this story I asked him more questions, to many of which he said, " I can't talk about that"

He then says, "guess where I am going next month?"

"Where?"

"Mother Russia"

Serious story, the guy is an absolute computer master and holds some sort of obscure
technical clearance. Everytime I try to talk about this story now he politely changes the subject...

Still blows my mind to this day -

He did tell me another story about DATA housing as it relates to physical space and the basic military implication of such, but that story is for another time and just as vague.

This was an eye opener for sure, but it sort of figures now doesn't it?

for what its worth - MM

[edit on 27-8-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Just because the music in that video gives a menacing impression while it shows images of tanks and soldiers doesn't mean Russia are looking for war. I could make a video like that for the Irish "Army" and guarantee it would scare people.. no matter how unfounded.

Fair enough, previous to WW2, war was a viable answer to bad economic conditions.. Not anymore though.

Do you think Russia would give up its newfound capitalism, wealth and progression (which has come in leaps and bounds since the fall of the USSR) for a war against NATO which it would undoubtedly lose and a collapse in trade with the EU which would completely decimate its economy?

eh? No!

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
it looks like diplomatic posturing, the US set up a missile shield in eastern europe so russia set one up in asia. i don't think they're trying to go to war with the US, i think they're trying to re-establish themselves as a superpower, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

You thinking is typical. Arrogant, one sided, etc. Russia has more oil, more natural gas, more timber, more minerals than all NATO countries COMBINED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why for a second would you think Russia would be hurt economically if a world war ensued? In fact I think just the opposite. I think a war would spur economic growth and industrial output. It would be like what happened in in America during WWII. We became an economic powerhouse because all of our energy, manpower, innovation, money etc. went into military industry and the war machine. Russia is a vast country. War with NATO, US, Western Europe would be akin to throwing fire on gasoline especially since the US and Europe are in financial ruin right now. You act like the world relies on Europe and the US for everything. The US and Europe rely on the world for its natural resources. America is far from the country it was in the 1940s and 1950s.

You know how many countries would lend support to Russia if a war ensued as well? China for one would love to see American beat down.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Diplomatic posturing = military posturing. Many a wars have been started because of it. Know your history.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
HA! Russia can't attack us or they'll have our primary investors/partial owners to answer to, CHINA....
I don't think they are a threat regardless.

[edit on 8/27/09 by MoothyKnight]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join