It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lamp (and other things) that eat bugs for fuel!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Carnivorous Domestic Entertainment Robots

As we continue to incorporate robotics into our house and home, new solutions for power sources are conceptualised. Here we have a collection of carnivorous robots which feed on household pests. Brilliant!

First up is the Lamp. In short, it entices flies and moths inside it's shade where they are trapped and soon die. The dead bugs fall into a microbial fuel cell which then powers the lamp.

... Brilliant!

Flies and moths are naturally attracted to light. This lamp shade has holes based on the form of the pitcher plant enabling access for the insects but no escape. Eventually they expire and fall into the microbial fuel cell underneath. This generates the electricity to power a series of LEDs located at the bottom of the shade. These are activated when the house lights are turned off.

Mousetrap coffee table robot

A mechanised iris is built into the top of a coffee table. This is attached to a infra red motion sensor. Crumbs and food debris left on the table attract mice who gain access to the table top via a hole built into one over size leg. Their motion activates the iris and the mouse falls into the microbial fuel cell housed under the table. This generates the energy to power the iris motor and sensor.

In addition to these two there are also the Fly Stealing Robot (which actually cooperates with spiders to catch flies), UV fly killer parasite and a Fly-paper robotic clock.

Source

Asside:
A thought occurs. Imagine if these robots could reproduce. Imagine how they would evolve to rid the home completely of unwanted pests. Imagine how cool they would become... But that's pretty far out there, in the mean time I really wouldn't mind a Venusfly-lamp for my kitchen!

[edit on 26-8-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Great post! I love the lamp, wish I could get one for the house.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Both very cool inventions. Thanks for the post.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
LOL! I love it!

Star and flag. I want one!

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

A few decomposing flies i could handle .....

.... a decomposing mouse under my coffee table . ..

A conversation piece no doubt ..

Quite ingenious .
====================================

Resistance is futile ......

"Human slaves - in an insect nation !"

edit;typo

[edit on 26-8-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Thanks for posting the vid! I didn't even have to watch it, knowing exactly what it was. I lol'd.

Hats off to the Zebra, my friend, hats off.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Thats awesome

From now on....

[edit on 26/8/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
This would be the most awesomest # of all time

top topics

join