It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a benefit to sunscreen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
So there I was having a dinner conversation with my wife about the weather. Being in North-Central TX we get some warm days during the summer and a good amount of sunshine year-round. Our conversation turned to tanning and I reiterated that I don't like putting chemicals on my skin which "prevent damaging UV rays". I've read countess times how some UV rays are good for you (helps your skin create Vitamin D to ward off the nasties) but my "ace in the hole" argument has always been...

"If sunscreen prevents damage to your skin (i.e. melanoma) from developing, then how can those people in Africa and South America live sustained lives without it?"

Her reply was something akin to them gaining a tolerance via skin pigmentation over the generations to the sun and it's affects. That's fine with me and I can understand that line of thinking but I still have to wonder - is this crap we're slathering over our skin really helping or hurting? If natural processes via body tolerance-adaptation to things like sunlight are able to maximize our resistance to UV rays naturally, what are these chemicals actually doing to us?

I did some Googling on "melanoma occurrances by geographical region" and found a bunch of links from .GOV sites as well as cancer sites pointing to risk factors of mainly white people (American, European) but could not find any specific examples of "across the board" comparisons. I wanted to see the relation of people in America vs South America vs Africa vs Australia etc. etc.

What I did find interesting were a number of "recently" (2009) published articles at many sites warning African Americans and Hispanics of "the dangers of the sun" and how they too need to be covering themselves with lotions and creams (brought to you by Revlon! - jk).

Does anyone have any knowledge in this area and while I don't have a problem putting the occasional SPF 15 on my nose or the tops of my feet - do NOT find themselves dressing the kids in lotion before going outside.

I guess my question is this. Do we trust in mother nature or trust in S.C.Johnson Wax ?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Darker skinned people (normally african and Pacific Island people) have a stronger resistance to sun damage then or fair skinned people. However, they are still substitute to melanoma just less likely to receive sun burn.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Strange that this topic should come up .
I was certain that this was an article about a possible connection between sunscreen and Alzheimer disease . A story i contemplated posting on ATS .
Worth a look.

24 August 2009 University of Ulster
Groundbreaking Research Links Sunscreen and Alzheimer's Disease

Scientists at the University of Ulster are investigating a link between some man-made nanoparticles, such as those found in sunscreens and Alzheimer's disease.

“It has recently been discovered that nanoparticles can have highly significant impacts on the rate of misfolding of key proteins associated with neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

source for the quotes above.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Ive never used it and i rarely burn

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I personally think there is some benefit to wearing it, but I read this just today so thought I would share:

Its an article about something strange...sunscreen nanoparticles?!?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Well if you've ever been out in a boat, on the ski slopes or a glacier on a sunny day you'll find without sunscreen or a hat & mask you'll get burned pretty badly. Of course the more days out your skin will acclimate to the conditions and you won't need it as badly.

What I hate about sunscreen is that every time I use it I get clogged pores a few days afterwords.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The following has been copied my thread 7 Things that ARE killing you

Sunscreens

Since it's summer time, I figured I would add this cause it's important as well. Products like Sun Screen may actually not be all that the doctor ordered either.

Most sunscreens only block UVB rays, leaving UVA rays to do damage. Because people believe they are protected, it causes people to stay in the sun too long. And interestingly enough, it's UVB rays that make us burn. So our natural warning signal is slowed, and instead of us beginning to burn and realizing it's time to go inside, we stay in the sun far too long.

Furthermore, UVB is how we get Vitamin D naturally. Vitamin D, interestingly enough, is known to help prevent some cancers, most notably, breast and colon. If all this weren't bad enough, keep in mind that when you are lathering yourself up with lotion, you're smearing chemicals all over your skin. Some of those chemicals are toxic, and your pours drink them up and shuttle them all over your body.

Source: Cedric F. Garland. “More on Preventing Skin Cancer”. British Medical Journal, 2003:327:128 (22, November). Thompson, Larry. “Sunscreen, Skin Cancer and UVA”. Healthlink (Medical College of Wisconson), 26 July, 2000. Mercola.com website of Dr. Joseph Mercola

Bathing in chemicals to avoid a sunburn is completely illogical. If you don't want to seek shade or shelter, then cover up your skin it's as simple as that.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by king9072]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Long sleeves, long pants, wide brimmed hat. Sunglasses are a good idea too. But most of all I just avoid the sun from 10:00 to 2:00. If it's going to be unavoidable I use sunscreen on my face.

[edit on 8/27/2009 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
being super white i find that no suncreen and brief stays in teh sun are the best option

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Here's an interesting article:

www.skinbiology.com...

top topics

join