It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six Places to Nuke for Multiplier Effects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Assuming a 1-megaton nuclear weapon, what are the optimal delivery points to maximize global damage and chaos? We are assuming a 1 megaton bomb due to simplicity - this yield is about twice that of the most powerful fission bomb produced by the US, the Mk 18, which used 60 kg of enriched uranium. With nanofactories, building extremely high-quality centrifuges will become easy, making large quantities of enriched uranium accessible to any organization with uranium ore. We will be able to do with a few centrifuges what previously required hundreds or even thousands.

...In this scenario, it does not really matter who is dropping the bomb. The point is to create as much mayhem as possible. This analysis leans towards detonation targets that do damage to the United States in particular, both because the US has many enemies, and because many countries are economically and politically dependent on a smoothly-functioning US. The attack might be a set-up for a larger operation, occur in the context of a war, or simply be an isolated event. Potential orchestrators of the attack include rogue states like North Korea or Iran, criminal organizations, jihadi organizations, or more sophisticated groups like circles of well-educated and wealthy Americans exploiting abrupt technological transitions to gain power.

In roughly ascending order of severity, the options are:

I won't be a spoil sport. Please visit link for the surprising answer, and the revelation of why i put this in the Fragile Earth forum.

O.M.G.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Very interesting, and somewhat cool. I knew what #1 would be, as I've thought about it and read it on ATS before. Some of the places on the list are very surprising, though.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Hollywood ,FTW!!!

Line 2

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Some of the places on the list are very surprising, though.

Yeah, like #4:

4. Destabilize an oceanic shield volcano next to a methane clathrate deposit.

But you have to wonder why anyone would want to destroy themselves- aside from suicide bombers- that is.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I'm not sure a 1-megaton nuke would be enough to expose the magma chamber of Yellowstone caldera. Maybe destabilize it a bit yes, though.

A M6.0 earthquake has the energy of a 1 Megaton nuke (and the proposed 20 megaton nuke is roughly equivalent to a M6.8 earthquake), but many similar ones, or even much stronger ones, occurred in the historic past on Yellowstone and none of them was able alone to trigger an eruption.

[edit on 2009-8-28 by Shirakawa]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I'm not surprised to see Cumbre Vieja as #2...the resulting tsunami from the entire western flank of the island slipping into the ocean has been estimated to be enough to wipe out cities all along the eastern US coast from Miami up to New York

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Hello TrueAmerican, This is something I for one don't even want to think about. I would think Yellowstone first, New York second, Washington DC third, Denver fourth, Alaska fifth,

The death toll is one thing but the aftermath would be even worse. I can't even comprehend it happening.

top topics

join