It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. helicopter accidentally dumps Afghan ballot boxes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

U.S. helicopter accidentally dumps Afghan ballot boxes

www.reuters.com

KABUL, Aug 26 (Reuters) - A U.S. military helicopter carrying ballot boxes packed with votes from last week's Afghan election accidentally dumped some of them somewhere over the rugged mountains of Nuristan, officials said on Wednesday.

Some 50 ballot boxes were being carried in a "sling load" beneath a Chinook helicopter from the provincial capital Paroon when the accident happened, they said.

"During transport, apparently some of the materials came out of the load as it was travelling," U.S. army Lieutenant Tommy Groves told Reuters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
America's real enemy in Afghanistan is itself. Whenever the opportunity arises the military will do whatever it can to make itself look incompetent.

Reading the stories that come out of Afghanistan is like watching the 3 Stooges. Slapstick is my least favorite form of comedy.

I can't begin to understand how ballot boxes would fall from a helicopter in the very place along the route that soldiers are least likely to recover them, but here it is.

www.reuters.com

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Seems very... convenient to me.

I find it hard to believe they just "dropped" them in the mountains. I wonder if they will re hold the elections with this happening?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
This will also be brought up in the world court when they pin 9/11, the world economy and both wars on the US and make us pay them back like Nazi Germany did.

There are so many loose ends, and the Europeans are so on to it, that one day all these stories we have been talking about are going to be presented to the world, probably ushering in a NWO to prevent this from ever happening again.

This is yet another story that will be brought up, damning the US citizens to another world tax, on top of carbon credits.

We are being set up people.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Wow, just when I thought we couldn't F things up worse over there.

-E-

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
How utterly incompentent can they be?

Airlifting 50 boxes, dumping 25 and recovering half of them.

I agree they are no better then the 3 stooges. Thats if they could load a hanging sling from a helicopter, fly the helicopter, pin point the exact spot where an accident happened, recovered 12 ballot boxes from a huge mountain range and then land the helicopter.

Completely incompentant.

-sarcasm off-

Accidents happen. Stop playing the armchair warrior and say how you could have done a better job or you would done things differantly. Atleast they didn't lose all 50.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDK88

I can't begin to understand how ballot boxes would fall from a helicopter in the very place along the route that soldiers are least likely to recover them, but here it is.

www.reuters.com

How do you know it was a route least likely to have them recover? Just so happens they recovered 15 out of 25 that were dropped. But you knew that because you read your own article........right?

"He said 15 of the 25 boxes that fell were recovered. The Independent Election Commission said the votes had already been counted and the totals added to the national tally."

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I don't think this means the military is incompetent at all. What people don't understand is that accidents happen. The military successfully handles thousands of missions of all kinds every day and every once and a while when something bad happens people read about it and think what a bunch of morons.

With a sling load any number of things could have happened. A strap could have failed, they could have ran into bad weather, one of the pallets could have broken. The military handles so many missions that accidents are going to happen from time to time. I just feel sorry for the guys that had to go down there and recover the boxes.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Would you be satisfied with a foreign military force carrying YOUR election results?

Think about it

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

If they didn't want us to hanle them then there is a very easy solution.

Choose to handle them without our help. Problem solved.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Why wouldn't they just put them INSIDE the helicopter? It's a chinook. They're not exactly cramped - and ballot boxes aren't all that big.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

Here is a pic of inside a chinook. Not exactly the most spacious aircraft.

Remember they most likely carried a full crew, gear and possibly other cargo.

www.operations.mod.uk...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Inside would have worked fine. A 'full crew' on a ch-47 is what four? Pilot, co, crew chief and maybe a gunner? Now, if they were loaded down with some troops as well...what does a chinook hold? maybe 16 soldiers and their gear? Just saying..A sling load for ballot boxes wasn't the best choice. Sometimes it's not about impropriety...it's about the perception. The result in this case leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Did they do it purpose? Who knows. Do you wonder why, in this case, dealing with elections, the 'holy grail' of democracy, that they couldn't have taken more precautions? With something so important, why was the spokesperson just a lieutenant? There are a lot of questionable appearences here. Given the lack of trust and the 'importance' of these elections, they would have been better served by exercising a little more care.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Most likely it held a full load. Doesn't make very much sense to use something capable of holding 26,000 pounds of cargo just for transporting 50 ballot boxes.

Transporting by cargo hook can be a dangerous thing if used to transport something that light weight. A stiff cross wind could put everyone in the aircraft in danger. That is why I am going with the chinook was full.

We can go back and forth that they should have put them inside, but we really don't know what else it held. Seeing as using the cargo hook is a pain in the butt, I think it safe to assume that there wasn't any room inside.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Reply to post by jd140

I respect your opinion, JD. It just seems like this situation stinks. I would assume that election results in a blossoming democracy could warrant their own aircraft. It just seems too fishy...especially knowing that the U.S. is not impartial. They have things to gain or lose dependent on the results. With the US spearheading the election, there are just too many red flags. They should have tried to at least pretend to not be all up in it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Then why not dump them all?

Why send out troops to collect them?

Why bring back 15 of the 25?

How would one go about rigging a sling to dump some and not all the boxes?

Life sustaining medical equipment and other vital equipment are always being transported this way. Accidents, like a strap breaking, happen.

Parachutes fail
Tool bags float out into space
Cargo straps fail.

Murphys law strikes again.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Kinda hard to hold elections in a country that is being occupied by foreign troops, I would imagine.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AgnosticX

Don't know what that has to do with the helicopter going down.

But imagine your little heart away, I don't feel like conversing about the war with a person such as yourself.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by TXRabbit

If they didn't want us to hanle them then there is a very easy solution.

Choose to handle them without our help. Problem solved.

This is what I was talking about. How would you expect a war torn country to organize anything the size of an election properly? Also, I don't know what you meant by "a person such as yourself", but you don't know me so you can kept that to yourself. I no longer feel the need to converse either.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by AgnosticX

Nevermind, it wouldn't make a differance.

mod please delete.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by jd140]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join