It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we thank black Americans?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I got to wondering today what the world would be like had the South won the US Civil War and had Germany won WWII.

So I asked myself this question, should America thank it's black citizens for enduring slavery?

I'm not talking about reparations. I am talking about a simple thank you.

After all, had it not been for slavery, the US would not be the power it is today.

Slavery allowed the US to leap frog past the rest of the world in a shopping list of categories.

So what do ya think?

Are black people worthy of a little appreciation? They were, after all, drafted into service and it seems they did a pretty good job. For free. Without ever standing up for their own rights in mass until almost 100 years after the civil war.

Opinions?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
You Can't Be Serious...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
If you really think about it, the simple fact is that there are still many people in Africa who still aren't free and are still slaves to opression due to some type of elite governments. And not just them, but many around the world in some form. Thanks for reminding them anyway. There's just way too many things that still aren't right. Thanks these days, is like some loose change in a cup. It's just not good enough.

But if it makes you feel better to say so, than go right ahead.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Not a bad idea but you would also have to thank all the other workers who work for the equivelant of less than slave labor in todays world. Slaves got room, board, meals, healthcare and didn't have to worry about retirement because they usually died first. Todays lower class doesn't even have it that good. An example:

In 1980 I made $6 stocking shelves part time at a local grocery. Today that same store pays $9 an hour for full time work. Meanwhile the cost of living has gone up about 200%($1=$3), So an employee in that occupation has seen his wages fall the equivelant of 50%. That is echoed throughout society, except for goverment and executive type postions whose wages steadily increase with inflation. We are the modern day slaves.

Maybe in 100 years someone will thank us.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Look up the history of Irish in America.
Thanks Irish

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
functionaly the only thing that has changed from my point of veiw since the 80's

the goverment has got more dangerios because the money is running out .

if you made 30,ooo.oo last year , your boss paid 50 to 60,ooo.oo for you to be there .
any money he or you made , was then taxed so the goverment can force collection of fees , fined and other tax's for laws that you have no control over .

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
As long as you are "thinking" about different racial scenarios, Give some thought to what the world would be like without blacks or without whites, orientals, native indians, etc. Would I consider thanking any one race for their contribution to today's economics? I think that individuals have more than offset any contributions or detractions made by their respective races throughout the past. Why can't we just loose the "race" mentality and gauge an individual's or society's merit on their ability rather than on racial makeup.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by mizzu]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by 5 oClock

Don't forget the Chinese they built the railroads probably the most lives lost goes to them. Oh of course the American Indians for teaching the settlers how to survive.(boy did they screw up there huh) Then theres the French for supporting the revolution And of course Spaniards for trade goods and supplies. Will give them Mardi gras too i think that deserves a thank you. i think further on the list but good for now.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I myself am full blooded Irish. Growing up I was taught of the sacrifices my people made for this great country.

I also became a student and scholar of war because of my relationship I built with my ancestors.

Check this out:

In the United states, whatever side the african americans fought on....they were victorious.

I can go deep with this theory, especially regarding the american civil war.

The civil war was very complex and was not started over slavery.

However the south had the backs and hard work of blacks pumping their economy in the beginning and the generals of virgina specifically were ready to set them free.

The north knew this and more...

It can go on and on.

But the warrior mentality, along with the courage that african americans have fought with has truly set our country free.

PS. Look up Crispus Attucks

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genfinity
I got to wondering today what the world would be like had the South won the US Civil War and had Germany won WWII.

So I asked myself this question, should America thank it's black citizens for enduring slavery?

I'm not talking about reparations. I am talking about a simple thank you.

After all, had it not been for slavery, the US would not be the power it is today.

Slavery allowed the US to leap frog past the rest of the world in a shopping list of categories.

So what do ya think?

Are black people worthy of a little appreciation? They were, after all, drafted into service and it seems they did a pretty good job. For free. Without ever standing up for their own rights in mass until almost 100 years after the civil war.

Opinions?

What do I think? I think you are nuts, that's what I think. Get over your white guilt. As for slaves, show me one. As for the draft, there were a lot of people of a lot of races that got drafted.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If this isn't a troll and purposefully divisive thread, I don't know what is.

Even if you were 1000% right, which you are but you also need to thank every single other race in America while you are at it, you also knew this was going to cause a stir and press peoples buttons.

You are probably watching post by post waiting for someone to bite so you can get your jollies.

Stop trolling, this website is about conspiracies, not wether white people should thank black people.

TAKE THIS TO THE ACLU FORUMS!

AND I'M HALF BLACK!!!

WTF!

LOCK AND DELETE this thread.

I cannot believe relevant threads are being locked and deleted due to content that is "off limits", yet this BS stays??

[edit on 26-8-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 26-8-2009 by breakingdradles]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Genfinity

How 'bout you just see them as Americans and don't make the distinction that they're "Black Americans" ...

I'm sure that will be thank you enough.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I think we need to look at the issue and see what we wrong when the Europeans and Africans/Native Americans first met they treated each other as equals what the heck happened to changed that.

Think about this when Europeans went around the world basically everybody outside of Europe got called a savage why is that because they didn't conform to your ideas and values that was one of the problems there.

We should make sure that whatever caused that and that idea of slavery to never happen again first it was all just trading you give me some diamonds which the Africans didn't care about and I give you some guns.

In most cases its usually one person that messes up everything

Just think about how things would have turned out if the Native American and Africans had guns and a tolerance to the many European diseases it would have been a fair fight. These people were fine with what the had before they started getting visitors in many of these places they didn't have the same concepts such as land ownership many Native American tribes didnt believe in it and that can be found in some island in the pacific and villages in the amazon and africa.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by Genfinity

How 'bout you just see them as Americans and don't make the distinction that they're "Black Americans" ...

I'm sure that will be thank you enough.

Good one; in that case the only people who should be called Americans are Amerindians and no one else. If your born in America your an American period no white american, black american, hispanic/native american etc just plain american. Some countries have gotten beyond this over the centuries how long will it take us.

I think this problem occurs when the dominant group is not native; why is there a need to call everybody out except for make yourself seem like your not apart of the others who came here.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jatsc

+1 For "Amerindians" , I had to Google it... I didn't even know that was a word.
Thanks

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
In this country, blacks will never be fully accepted or recognized.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
to SD for probably one of the only truely relevant statement that will be made in this entire thread.

Aside from that...

You can't even make a valid point that slavery leaped us forward in any manner or anything remotely close.

Anytime you enslave anyone including the current practices in corporate America you see massive drops in human potential, there is no way slavery could possibly have done more good for America than a system of free men could have, it wouldn't have been eliminated if this was true... we wouldn't be in the pickle we are now if corporate America hadn't re-enslaved most of us by status yet again...

They plowed fields YAY

And really thousands and thousands of Caucasians withe educations as a result doing NOTHING was a major benefit...

As well as who knows how many lost contributions from The African Community... how can we speculate that, penicillin couldn't have come 100 years earlier?

God forbid White people had to work the fields for a couple hundred years, what innovation might have come? But they didn't have to...they had slaves, they had it easy...

To comprehend that slavery made things better is a completely bizarre notion or that it made the USA lol

Let's really tally the costs of that war, in human lives, net population growth over time until now, decades a century of civil unrest and inequality and really decide if we made or lost money...

A Thank You

an Apology really for a few centuries of lost potential

But NOT an Apology to African Americans...

An Apology to all Americans for how much further along we could actually be much more appropriate for all we lost, not thank you for the nothing we gained.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EMPIRE

Yeah Mr Optimist, they will never dominate sports or music be major TV and Movie stars a black woman will never be the richest entertainer for females nor will a Black man ever be President

Certainly Black Men will never have any luck with White Women let alone be accepted by them...

Your right it's all dismal in terms of Black Americans ever being accepted...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
reply to post by EMPIRE

Yeah Mr Optimist, they will never dominate sports or music be major TV and Movie stars a black woman will never be the richest entertainer for females nor will a Black man ever be President

Certainly Black Men will never have any luck with White Women let alone be accepted by them...

Your right it's all dismal in terms of Black Americans ever being accepted...

Get real, man. If you don't know what it is like to be a black american in America, then chill out with it.

That black american president is not only half white, but is a total puppet for some secret government or something that you can't talk about and that no one "knows" about. Oh, yeah, and a secret government that doesn't exist.

My life as a black man in America sucks. I'd go over it all over again for you here, but I've got a non-racial related aliens issue where I won't get to sleep tonight unless I get another ounce of you know what (hey, we're on a conspiracy website, dude) and turn the darn computer off. So, you know what? I'll leave you dumb, because ignorance is bliss.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join