It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Apologizes for Photoshopping Black Man out of Advertisment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Microsoft Apologizes for Photoshopping Black Man out of Advertisment

www.dailytech.com

Microsoft, whose Windows operating system owns close to 90 percent of the market, experienced one such embarrassing incident on Tuesday, when it was noticed that one of the company's ads on its Polish site was changed from a U.S. version to Photoshop out the face of a black man at a company meeting.

In addition, the photoshopping (or perhaps using MS Paint, by the looks of it) was likely hastily performed, taking no effort to change the color of the man's hand and including a large smirking head that seemed strangely out of place on the body. Additionally, it was also noticed that the ma
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Wow, this probably happens more often that we think.

Microsoft got caught red handed. Do they really think that replacing a black man with a white man could increase sales?

I know that 3rd party companies make advertisements, but MS probably knows this:

Microsoft's spokesperson, Lou Gellos, has delivered a sheepish response, stating, "We are looking into t

Yeh... everything an organization does wrong deserves "further investigation."

www.dailytech.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Oh, this was a hoot. I think I read about this earlier today at yahoo.

I bet I know how they will fix it. They will put a new picture on the cover; without black people.

I hope I am proven wrong.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
They get a thumbs down for being sloppy but that's all there is going on.

They advertize to the demographic. That means targeting a certain audience with their ads. This goes on in every adveritsing field, not just computer software.

Nobody would be worried about this if it had been a Chinese man and the ad was in Bejing.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I don't know what's worse, the removal of the black man's face or the fact that they attempted to use Paintbrush to alter the pic.

If the Polish don't want a black man in their ads who are we to criticize?

Next ad just add an extra black person to make ammends.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
LOL what?

First of all, that's hilariously bad photoshopping. You would think M$ of all companies could afford to do a slightly better job.

Secondly, aren't most companies trying to get more 'people of color' into their advertisements? It seems like these days every single advertisement has to have at least the one token minority or it won't get aired. Or was having an Asian guy and a black guy too "cutting edge" for Poland?

I also love how they are using a macbook. Gotta appreciate the irony in that goof.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I agree. Sloppy and cheap but just an attempt at trying to get the target audience to relate.

There are enough glaring case of racism about. We don't have to go looking under rocks.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
That's awesome! Way to go Microsoft!

MS PaintZ R00lZ d00dz!

I don't even find much with the fact that they tailored an ad to a different ethnic region with some editing, but IS THAT THE BEST THAT THEY CAN DO?

Funny, just wait till they finalize the takeover the world and you'll all be browsing the "net" on an 8 bit machine the size of a Boeing 747 at 300 baud.

I bet the same team who puts out windows "updates" cobbled that POS together, as it looks like it adheres to the "design philosophy"

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Couldn't they have just taken another picture of actual employees from Poland or got one from a stock photo company.

I was bad there is no question about that.

I'm also wondering was the person who actually did this racist in any way why do such a horrible job unless it was on purpose; was this done by Microsoft Poland or someone else if done by Microsoft Poland couldn't they just take a real photo that could be tailored to the country

Why couldn't they take a new photo what is the reason for not doing that someone in the office don't have a camera.

For everyone talking about localizing have yall seen there other sites such as for the Mideast, Asia and Africa none of those are localized many of the sites are in English which the population there does not speak.

If they did this because a black person does not fit into the localization of the country why the heck are there white people on every Microsoft site regardless of country.

Other times the language is correct is there is no one fitting the demographic of the country present look at

Microsoft North Africa why is it in French when 99.99999999999998 % speak Arabic and why are there no Arabs, Berbers present.

Microsoft India does not include any Indians

[edit on 26-8-2009 by jatsc]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I think the funniest part is that theres a mac book on the table.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I worked for a company that did advertising work for Microsoft. Microsoft has very specific rules for composition of photos used in it's advertising (think 3-1/2 thick binder). I think what happened is that somebody was screwing around on a server and misnamed a picture.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
EPIC FAIL!!! They Didn't even change his hand!!! This was good , I needed that today
Seriously , There's no Black people in Poland so they probably wouldn't respond to that ad... but I mean Damn Microsoft, that's just being cheap.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Am I the only one that finds this to be a little on the hoax side?

You are telling me a computer hardware company the size of Microsoft altered their ad and this was the best they could do?

Is anyone really buying this? There is no way in todays world of technology and video sharing, they thought they could get away with this.

I don't think Microsoft did this.

edit to add- hoax may be a bad word. A more likely thing was that someone is trying to setup Microsoft.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by jd140]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Am I the only one that finds this to be a little on the hoax side?

You are telling me a computer hardware company the size of Microsoft altered their ad and this was the best they could do?

Is anyone really buying this? There is no way in todays world of technology and video sharing, they thought they could get away with this.

I don't think Microsoft did this.

Maybe they thought "Screw It , The Polacks won't notice"

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Rather than fixing the black man in the advertisement I think Microsoft should spend their time and money fixing the blue screen, of death.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

That is possible, but like I said.

In todays world of technology there is no way they thought that this would pass unnoticed.

Doesn't seem likely that a computer phenom that is Microsoft would do something this low budget.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Rather than fixing the black man in the advertisement I think Microsoft should spend their time and money fixing the blue screen, of death.

Or the Red Ring of Death On My XBOX 360

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

I keep hearing about this red ring of death.

Going on 4 years with my original 360 without any problems. I think the 360 is the best system to ever come along.

It will be hard to top it and I can't wait until they do.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Lol BSOD.

MS thinks new bugs are new features.

new topics

top topics

join