It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fla. to pay $1.5 million for privacy violations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Fla. to pay $1.5 million for privacy violations

www.miamiherald.com

Gov. Charlie Crist and the Florida Cabinet have agreed to pay the federal government $1.5 million to settle a complaint that the state violated motorists' privacy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Florida violated federal law by selling personal information from registration and driver license records to mass marketers from June 1, 2000 through Sept. 30, 2004.

State law then had let motorists opt out of the program. Federal law, though, required just the opposite - that information be withheld unless motorists asked for it to be released.

Makes me wonder how many other states are doing this and getting away with it. Usually where there's smoke there's fire: if one state's government officials thought they could get away with it, I wouldn't doubt there's more. Government officials have no respect for their employers anymore.

TA

www.miamiherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Thing is if the state is paying the money, then it's the folks that had their privacy invaded and sold paying the cost of the suit. Somehow, this really twists my panties in a wad!!!LOL
Zindo

S&F for you amigo!

[edit on 8/26/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
So I am paying the federal government because MY State Officials sold MY private info to mass marketers illegally and without my permission? HUH?!

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

AH, ARg .. you not reading it write mate~. we are pirates, and we demand our cut from the invasion racket.. ha ha ok...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Thats the Federal Government always trying to throw it's weight around.

Florida is in fact a great place to live because most Floridians are a little fuzzy on Federal Government rules and just who represents the Federal Government...

Popular theory since they led a rescue mission from Washington D.C. to snatch a little 7 year old Cuban boy is Janet Reno?

I still find it hard to believe President Carter would have appointed a woman for such an important job...but hey, I and not to many people in Florida keep up with what the Federal Government is doing.

It's still in Washington right?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Quote:
I still find it hard to believe President Carter would have appointed a woman for such an important job...but hey, I and not to many people in Florida keep up with what the Federal Government is doing. Unquote:

I think it was Klinton who appointed Janet ElRenio not Carter Amigo!!

Zindo

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Klinton whose that? Carter isn't the President anymore? Wow!

Lot's of changes there in Washington huh?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

Makes me wonder how many other states are doing this and getting away with it. Usually where there's smoke there's fire: if one state's government officials thought they could get away with it, I wouldn't doubt there's more. Government officials have no respect for their employers anymore.

I dunno about this issue - but - Florida government (and many law enforcement departments in this state) have been dirty for a very long time.

Under this state government, children have been killed in state custody in the past and recently. "Undesirable" voters have their names "purged" from the voting roles and are unable to vote in a contested election. Cocaine smuggling, hanging chads and more -- you name it and various Florida agencies have no doubt been involved at one time or another.

Tammany Hall had nothing on these people.

top topics

join