It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Agency Calls for Teaching Children 5-to-8 Years of Age about Masturbation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Are you serious? Do you even have kids?

5 thru 8. Learning how to masturbate... ? Nature is finding yourself. Learning about such things are natural. But for the UN - of all the nerve - in all that is wrong in the world, to assume this role in child development is extremely inappropriate.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Greetings. I'm new here. Been reading some of the threads when I saw the heading for this thread on the right of the screen and couldn't believe my eyes. Because of personal experiences I could not let this subject pass me without comment.

I am a mother and grandmother. As loving, responsible parents my husband and I believe it's important to honestly educate our children and did talk and answer questions as they arose. We are also in favor of the sex ed classes at school, because that is where some kids get their only info from, beside the not so factual info from peers.

BUT... there is an overwhelmingly disturbing element here in this plan. Sexual development is individual. Some children may be ready for sex ed at the tender ages the article says should be taught (5-8), and other children may not be. I had to have a few talks with my one of my kids at around these ages and only one talk about it with my other kid. The overwhelmingly disturbing element is the idea that our institution of learning/our schools should teach the youngest members about self pleasuring/masturbation. Who in their right mind thinks this is what our youngest students, (whom we parents and grandparents are so eager to protect from sex abuse), need to learn at school.

This sounds to me like another blow at severing any parental authority, and a great big opening for the pedophiles that have infiltrated all levels of our society.. What other reason? Why would any other adult be concerned about the sexuality of our children? Prepare them for what or should I say whom?

We may be concerned about the early sexual behavior of some of our kids, but that doesn't mean it needs to be addressed in this manner. Government needs to stop taking familial rights away. They have been chipping and stripping parental rights for several decades now and aren't stopping. It appears they are taking more and more away from families.

I think and feel this way, because I was molested by an adult male at the tender age of 5. He was a stranger. I was no way ready for anything like this and it affected all my relationships growing up. I've learned to deal with it, but I still have trust issues. Honestly, all I see in this plan is a way to get children to be more approachable by these pedophilic monsters, nothing more. Why else would the UN be interested in our youngest students sexuality?

I see no reasons for this plan to be implemented. Do you want teachers to talk to your innocent/naive child about masturbation and how to do it? Personal sexual activities are not what children of the age of 5-8 need to be taught in our public schools. Every person on this planet whom reads the UN plan should be outraged at it and let them know. I know I will. Please note: My husband and adult children feel the same way about this subject as I do. My adult son heard me talking to my husband about this thread before posting and affirmed he felt the same way...outraged. You all should be too. Who are these UN people whom are proposing this plan? Aliens??? Or are they pedophiles themselves...
Peace

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by orderedchaos

Nowhere did I say "teach them how to masturbate." It actually is a natural response that occurs from infancy onward, and I also didn't take a strong stance in my post. I said maybe it is right for PARENTS to teach their children NOT to do this activity in certain situations, but that it is OKAY and HEALTHY to do in private.

Here is what they recommend:

For those aged 5 to 8, some key concepts to be discussed are:

-- “Touching and rubbing one’s genitals is called masturbation” and that “girls and boys have private body parts that can feel pleasurable when touched by oneself.”
-- That “people receive messages about sex, gender, and sexuality from their cultures and religions.”
-- That “all people regardless of their health status, religion, origin, race or sexual status can raise a child and give it the love it deserves.”
-- “Gender inequality,” “examples of gender stereotypes,” and “gender-based violence.”
-- Description of fertilization, conception, pregnancy, and delivery.

www.ippf.org...

It's like good touch, bad touch. It seems perfectly fine to me.

[edit on 8/26/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by YossarianThe question here is whether or not the subjects are age-appropriate.

Do a check on google how many pregnancies there are at 11 and 12, then ask again..

Problem is a majority of parents are afraid to even discuss it, let alone teach it. Religion has a lot to do with it as many still consider it a sin. How many today are still spouting that "if you play with it you will go blind" line?

Many Islamic nations are still cutting of the female part to prevent pleasure, other religious groups have high teen pregnancy issues because they are afraid to talk about it.

But most kids in America and Europe know more about it then their parents

Nothing wrong with a proper course... but how to do it logistically without inviting problems is the big question

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Yikes! Can we stop the controlling efforts? Leave our kids alone!

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yossarian
Is it just me or is there something not quite right about telling 5-year-olds that touching your private parts is pleasurable? I'm missing something, right?!

@yossarian: I was taught doing that would make hair grow on my knuckles and make me go blind, isn't that what is still taught?

@everyone: So what age is your daughter physically capable of becoming a mother?

womens-health.health-cares.net...

Girls start menstruating at the average age of 12. However, girls can begin menstruating as early as 8 years of age or as late as 16 years of age.

So when it it a good time for her to learn how to keep from becoming a mother? Certainly by the time she begins menses right? Well if she happens to be 8 or 9 when that happens, what are you going to do? Keep her in the dark about sex when she may already be fertile? I don't see the logic in that.

Now if the parents have a more average daughter who doesn't begin menses until the average age of 12, want to wait until she's 11, I think they should have that ability. But not all parents make the best "Sex Ed" instructors. It's not an easy question to come up with the exact right age, but 5 years old seems way too young. Maybe 8-9 makes sense. Waiting until after a young woman could already be getting pregnant to explain sex to her seems irresponsible.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I have a 9 year old son myself. My wife and I are actually having this debate right now. Do we tell him now or should we wait.

The reason we are even talking about it is the level of questions we are getting from him now. It's getting harder and harder to answer these questions without coming right out and telling him something we shouldn't. Or should we?

It's hard to watch TV now without him seeing something that triggers another question. Maybe that's why the UN thinks we should tell them so early because they are being bombarded with sexual innuendos daily from every angle. Billboards, radio, tv , video games, it's everywhere. The only way to keep your child from seeing or hearing about it is to lock them inside with nothing but marbles and a coloring book.

I think we have come to the conclusion that I'm going to explain things to him the next time he ask about it. Not everything but most and in a way that's not to graphic.

I'm still having second thoughts because, come on he's 9. It's just the questions he's asking make it seem like he already knows more than we think. I want to make sure he knows the right things and not something crazy one of his friends told him.

It just feels wrong, you know.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
wt#!? this is sickening!~ this topic shouldn't even bring up on ats. let it nature do itself....

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Strictsum

Well... not to, you know... my boyfriend lost his virginity at age 12. That's only 3 years away from where your son is.

Super weird, probably bad, but a fact. I think sex education started in my school at around age 12.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Plan and simple. Teaching a child to masturbate is abuse.

As a kid gets older they figure it out. Probably a lot simpler for guys, but all the same not exactly rocket science for girls. It's a private thing that shouldn't be flaunted all over the place.

Even as adults, married or single, there is nothing wrong with it. But still it is a private matter. Kind of like using the can, everyone does it, they just don't need to discuss it.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I know, I know... It's just that he's still "my little boy". He just seems to young for the conversation. I thought I still had a few years before this came up. But I know I have to do it.

If I don't one his friends will and that could lead to disaster. If they haven't already.

As far as the topic, I don't think school should be teaching them this at that age. Let the parents do it. I know I would be very mad if my son came home and said his teacher taught him about masturbation.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Obviously there won't be an agreement in this area. And for me, this isn't partisan crap. My stance comes from the heart, not religion, not stymied intolerance, and definitely not frigidness.

One point- why the UN, and why now?

There are real problems in the world - in this country alone, we're seeing unemployment skyrocket, the fed being looted, town hall insanity, flu innoculations and threats of possible pandemic -

and now this? Right now? Amongst everything else? Millions of children in the world are going to bed hungry, the parents worried, and the UN wants children to be knowledgeable about masturbation... at this time?

Personally, I think there are more important issues at hand. And unless the UN is distracted by the thought of children not knowing 'good touches, bad touches', then there are bigger fish to fry.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

Did you read what the UN actually said?

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Here is what they recommend:

For those aged 5 to 8, some key concepts to be discussed are:

-- “Touching and rubbing one’s genitals is called masturbation” and that “girls and boys have private body parts that can feel pleasurable when touched by oneself.”
-- That “people receive messages about sex, gender, and sexuality from their cultures and religions.”
-- That “all people regardless of their health status, religion, origin, race or sexual status can raise a child and give it the love it deserves.”
-- “Gender inequality,” “examples of gender stereotypes,” and “gender-based violence.”
-- Description of fertilization, conception, pregnancy, and delivery.

www.ippf.org...

They're clearly not teaching them how to do it.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
By the way, sort of on topic, apparently this vibrating broomstick was a bigger hit with the girls than it was with their parents, Mattel had to pull the toy off the shelves:

www.charchaa.com...

A toy firm has axed a vibrating replica of Harry potter's broomstick after mums complained their daughters spent too long riding it.

What was Mattel thinking? Was it something about that bottom line?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I'm sure that baby nursing doll is going to be fast to go, too. Even though I thought it was a good idea.

Where is that thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Another one where I was in the minority showing support. I wonder why that always happens to me.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Strictsum

I totally understand your dilemna. My son is 8 and a half and his step-mom is about to have a baby which is bringing up all sorts questions. He also spelled out sex in the steam on the shower door when he thought no one was looking.

I don't think that means he knows very much about it, but rather that he is starting to wonder and his friends are probably talking about it too.

I think my plan is to tell him how it works in a very scientific and boring way and in the context of making a baby. Maybe if we take the mystery out of it, and make it seem very ho-hum it will work for a while.

To be honest the whole thing terrifies me, but I know it is my job as a parent to be realistic and make sure he is informed and safe as he grows up.

Certainly I don't want the school to be teaching him about masturbation and touching at age 5 or even 9 or 10!!

[edit on 26-8-2009 by gluetrap]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by drifty
reply to post by Yossarian

Touching your private parts IS pleasurable. That is the whole point of reproduction. Shuck off this religious "guilt" and be a human.

I know it's pleasurable, I never said it wasn't! I just think 5 year old kids (who may not have discovered it yet and may not do so until puberty) should not be introduced to the idea. It comes naturally to everyone at some point so why rush things?

As for being taught that you will go blind etc, I wasn't aware of that myth until my mid-teens.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I'm not trying to be rude, but there are different opinions here because of different perspectives.

Children shouldn't be made to feel bad about such a thing. I wasn't, and would rather hang myself to ever make my girls feel ashamed of a natural part of life.

There's a fine line here. Now, free condoms in the high schools - I'm all for that. Kids learning reproduction - all for that.
But 5 is too young - if they haven't already discovered it. Case by case, and if a parent comes into the knowledge that their 5 yr old has discovered something, then the parent should be able to discreetly talk with them.

But long before the UN or any other organization in the world even poses such a notion of taking it upon themselves as to what kids - kids they don't know and never met - should be privy to, there should be many courses, classes, or assistance offered to parents to help their children.

Parents know their children better than anyone, when they're kids.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
What about 9 year olds learning about orgasms and honour killings, genital mutilation?

For those aged 9 to 12, key concepts include: -- “specific steps involved in obtaining and using condoms and contraception, including emergency contraception” and the “signs and symptoms of pregnancy.” -- That “legal abortion performed under sterile conditions by medically trained personnel is safe.” -- Discussing the ideas of “homophobia, transphobia and abuse of power.” -- Discussing that “every person has the right to decide whether to become a parent, including disabled people and people living with HIV” as well as “ART (anti-retroviral therapy) and side-effects on puberty.” -- That “both men and women can give and receive sexual pleasure” and the “definition and function of orgasm.” -- Discussing “examples of harmful traditional practices,” listed examples of which include female genital cutting, honour killings, bride killings, and polygamy.”

Li nk

MBF

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
My little four year old cousin was caught getting a little frisky with a stuffed toy. There was an investigation and her 16 year old brother was not allowed to stay in the house during the investigation. It was found that she had never been touched and the nurses and doctor said that was normal behavior for a child that age. If they start teaching this to small children, how many false claims of sexual abuse will there be?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join