It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

¿Economic Armageddon? Doesn't have To Be This Way, 7 Things You Can Do To Stop It.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Hey sancho as usual, great thread S+F well spent.

I am totally going off memory here, but I think I recall that for most corporate mega monstrosities, as little as 10% of the money spent their is retained in the local community.

Where as a local owned and operated store could return upto 90% of the money back to the community. The number can vary because if all the product you buy for your local store is from somewhere far, far away, then it's not true that 90% of it stays in the community.

Where it counts is small convenience stores, small restaurants etc. Any serviced based company as well. I would much rather spend my money somewhere small, not to mention the service is usually far superior to that off megamarts.

I realized, what it means...its a monopoly! I always thought the feds would never allow a chain of stores to do that, striclty becuase ti kills competition?

Ever heard of walmart?

Everyone should check out "Walmart: The high cost of low prices", amazingly informative documentary. The small savings we see up front, pale in comparison to the long term economical destruction that stores like Wal-mart bring.

The stat from the documentary I believe was from 2000 or 2001, but there is apparently 25,000,000sqft of empty wal marts around the US. That's an old figure and most likely has expanded. They go into a town, suck the wealth, kill the businesses, once the moneys gone they shut down shop. And the only thing that could occupy a past walmart location, is another walmat - thus the staggering amount of space sitting unused.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by really
Actually, according to the IRS website "bartering exchanges" are reportable income, however,
The term (bartering exchanges) does not include arrangements that provide solely for the informal exchange of similar services on a noncommercial basis.

Source:
www.irs.gov...=113437,00.html

Fair enough. However, if you're bartering goods that would normally be bought or bartering services that you would normally sell then they are taxable.
People should know exactly what they are getting into. Giving advice that others may end up suffering for should be done with responsibility.

You really need to read my thread about the law. I understand we've all been brought up to believe the law is the way it is, but in reality it is a scam and we've all been sold. Once you learn of the scam, do your best not to perpetuate it.

Educate yourself to freedom.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by nrky

Buy processors from big companies like Intel or AMD, buy MoBo's from ASUS and BioStar, buy TV's from samsung or sony. These companies are the ones putting out big bucks for research into applications that may down the line produce technology that benefits our lifestyle needs greatly.

I emphasise the "may" part, in the above post, because buying products from these companies is a gamble as to whether or not they MAY produce technology that 'improves' our lives.

No, they will. Maybe you want to go back to the stone age where all your time is spent foraging for limited resources while you pray you don't die from the many diseases and infections you are susceptible to, but I prefer the modern technology age.

That heat in your home, those nice lights, that effective insulation in your walls, the gas/electric stove, etc. etc. are all products of research and mass production.

Technology gives us more free time to pursue other goals, learn, and become informed. It is hard to be a well educated and informed society if you spend all your time out in the field trying to get by.

People who deny the benefits of modernized society baffle me. There is pretty much no aspect of life that isn't improved by technology. From transportation to going to the bathroom.

Those of us addicted to technology and it's useless consumerism that tags along, probably don't realise that our grandparents lived without all this useless crap we think we 'need'.

Right, and our grandparents didn't have the opportunities that we have today. I'm surprised they never pointed that fact out to you. You know what one of the major factors in life span is? Stress. The amount of stress in your life has direct effects on health. What does entertainment do? Decrease stress.

That xbox isn't just useless consumer garbage, it's a high end form of entertainment that is just what the doctor ordered in moderation.

Play a game, watch a movie, relax for a minute, you might live a little longer.

Computers that have streamlined accounting, manufacturing, etc, have done nothing but create further unemployment.

And in their place is computer technician jobs, network management, software design, hardware design, etc. etc.

This is the world of tomorrow, you have to learn to adapt to the times. Learn new skills whenever possible, which should be often, considering all the extra time you have as a result of technology cutting down the time it takes to do taxes, gather resources, etc. etc.

The statement you made is at best a poorly informed opinion, and at worst a blatant lie. Unemployment has not skyrocketed as a result of technology, if anything it has dropped.

Just because right now during our current economic crisis unemployment is high, that has 0 correlation to growth in the tech field. The tech field creates more jobs than it destroys because it creates entire new fields of employment.

How many TV manufacture plants were there 100 years ago? How about computer chip factories? How many video games development studios were there? None. They are just a few of the HUGE industries which employ a LARGE amount of people, all sprouting from technology.

Oh, but people like to claim that if there are less jobs in manual labour because of technology, that we should all go back to school to get jobs that work with technology? Great, so who's going to pay for those extra three or four years in University? Certainly not our parents, who seem to be of the mentality that their baby-boomer generation had it tough.

You should be paying for it. In normal times, its not hard for the trying person to find a WIDE array of options available to them to go to school. Times like these it is definitely harder, but not impossible at all.

The simple fact is most people don't want to go and put in the extra work because they are too lazy. They lack the proper work ethic to stick it out and get a good job in a growing tech field. That is their own loss.

Nobody is responsible for your situation but you. The ability to go back to school and get a better job is there, it always has been. If you are willing to try, and willing to make the sacrifices, it can be done. It is done on a daily basis by millions of people. The only person holding you back from making it a reality is you.

But hey, as long as you keep passing the button of blame on to others, your problems with the system will persist.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by grimreaper797]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Dude!
If you don't know the mushrooms, this is a great one to get you started.
Morrel Mushrooms - They are delicious, first and foremost. They are easy to recognize and they are easy to find...

Just look under sycamore trees after prolonged rains in the warmer months. They take some hunting. But once you find some in one area. Mark that down and check there repeatedly. You'll find more of em. Gotta look close though, because they can blend in with the fallen folliage.

To fix 'em up. Sauttee(sp?) them like you would any mushroom with onions and place them atop a steak...
WONDERFUL!

Really, give it a shot.

PS - Plus, like I said before, they can net some serious dough at the Farmer's Markets. 50 per pound around here. And once you learn to find them, you can find them by the bucket loads.... literally. And, as you can see from the picture, it doesn't take many to make a pound. They are quite large, as far as mushrooms go.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

You make a lot of great points, and you're absolutely right about them.

My only issue is that you seem to believe in contributing to these companies, simply because they will further R+D.

I disagree there. Civilian technology is heavily delayed and allowed to trickle out, if we had access to technology as it was invented we would be submerged. This would also cause people to choose between many different things, providing a much smaller bottom line.

Thus, on the one hand you have to understand why it only trickles.

But then you have to look at the other hand, which is the consequences of that trickle. A great case to illustrate my point is with Apple and Ipods. Even though earlier versions of ipods could TECHNICALLY achieve the same features as new ones, they purposely delayed features so that they could market the "new version" a few months down the road.

The entire Ipod craze, including iphones could have been accomplished in 1 year. Yet instead, they did what they did, and we've witnessed the results of that over practically the last 10 years.

Now for one minute, just wonder how much of all of the following was created, SIMPLY by Apple trickling out the technology:

- Consumer debt
- Wasteful spending
- Plastic waste, (including packaging, ipod itself etc)
- Transport of all these many, many versions of Ipods all over the world.
- Pollution

And what was the benefit?

Apple shareholders made a fortune. Once again, the ponzi scheme affect. The money funneling itselfs to the top at the expense of millions below.

And why? Cause they're smart enough to sell an Eskimo ice.

People who deny the benefits of modernized society baffle me. There is pretty much no aspect of life that isn't improved by technology. From transportation to going to the bathroom.

They baffle me almost as much as people who believe the way of life we've been given - is not just the only way, but the best way.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by king9072]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

King,

Your knowledge, expertise, and ease of read never fails to impress me.

My brother is a manager at a transportation/logistics company. I did't believe it could be true, but he said many of the multinational trucking companies routinely shoot for only 10bucks of profit per transported fully loaded semi. I was shocked to hear such a thing, but the day, and age of the independent trucker has long since passed.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Hey, cool I "think" I've seen those before, but couldn't be sure. You make an interesting point in this thread, and that is the amount of money People can make from simply learning a little about wild foods.

I know many People who basically live off of their 3 month huckleberry earnings. I know it may sound silly, but they earn several thousand dollars a month from it. They keep their "patches" a coveted secret, but none the less they make a living.

Same thing with the mushrooms You pointed out.

Another thing People over look is fishing. I've never done any kind of commercial fishing, but I know the lake around where I live has several one man fishing operations.......Just them, and a boat.

Hey, I love technology, and You pointed out some very deviant measures intended to insure future income.

That's carried over in many industries. Tires for example... They came out with tires with crushed walnut shells in them. They lasted forever, and a day...awesome, but now they are no more. Seems all the good lasting products of any industry are yanked when discovered they last........no residual income from repair, or replacement.

Another thing of note is the amount of toxins; which are currently going into many of the products out there. Plastics are incredibly toxic to the human body, and they are everywhere.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Don't just isolate to foods.

What seperates the god's from the clods, is the ability of people to always sustain. A clod is happy with enough to get by for today, the god is happy when he's got enough to get by for a year.

To make sense of that, what I am saying is that the people at the bottom of the pyramid, are most often there for good reason. When times are tough, the tough get going and thats the bottom line. People can sit and blame all their problems on everyone else, but at the end of the day they're the only one who has to deal with them.

I bring this all up because of the topic of earning extra income. Practically everyone could figure out a way to do something on the side to earn a little bit of extra cash per week. As little as an extra $800 a month becomes ten grand in a year. The clods sit around complaining and "getting by". I think the poster who brought up the mushrooms is amazingly brilliant. He's spotted a way to make money, and he goes and gets it done.

It isn't easy, it includes foraging and time, but he does it! And he makes money!

A lot of people will quickly say I don't know anything about mushrooms yada yada excuse excuse. But people need to make it their own, sell you're crap on ebay. Or rent a table at the flea market, take up a cash side job tending yards. Or as of late, in my area we have a fruit stand setup every second corner. These people have gone out and bought the loads of fruit, made some signs and payed a small fee to setup in stores parking lots. And I see these guys slammin busy everytime I drive by them.

It's amazing, and it's just one of many, many ways that a person can expand their income. Through a slightly expanded income, and slightly smarter spending you can find yourself with more money than you expected.

Cut up all your cards, use cash and CASH ONLY, and plan for tomorrow.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
I kinda agree with sanchezearlyjones, and havbe thought about this, for quite some years. I work in retail, for a CVS pharmacy.

I worked for what was a regional drug store [Long's Drugs] that was bought out by CVS...I have seen nothing but problems with CVS so far, and the rumor is we only get a 2% raise once a year...what BS...
There's another thing that bothers me, with Longs, we could give stuff away to charities. Lets say we had food that was to expire in less than 30 days, under Longs we'd give it to a local charity that gives food to senior citizens...but with CVS? We were told to throw it all in the dumpster...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I still like the power of no better...as in no to taxes. That will bring the mother down, if millions do it.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

So true. I've warn many hats. Almost always with the tool belt on, but many hats. I had to help out some family this year with their firewood for winter; as they had a stroke.

Anyways I cut all their firewood, and with little extra effort sold off 4 cords, at 125 bucks a cord. That was cheap price, but made me happy.

See #7 on the list. Think outside of the box; great expansion on that King. I wanted from the conception of this thread for People to give constructive advice to build from, and You've done well

reply to post by AnonymousMoose

Ah gawd, You just brought up one of my biggest pet peeves.... The megastores waste at the end of the day. They always throw whatever the merchandise is away. Makes me sick.

reply to post by PenandSword

I'll tell'ya NO is a strong message that has made it's way around the World recently. I use it everyday in my life; in regards to the Govt. There is a growing number of Free Men On The Land, or People saying NO.

It's rather simple. The govt. does not define Me, or My rights. In fact all the Bill Of Rights, or the Articles Of Confederation do is simply put my Natural Rights as enumerated in Nature on paper.

No ONE will ever take me away from me. I am my own man, and nature defines the rules of the game.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
For anyone interested, here is a link to eating cheaply by scavenging off of the megastores, and their waste. Just take a look at it.

www.democraticunderground.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Unfortunately, there is only two ways of business. State run and privately run. One leads to the situation we have, a slow progression in the name of profit. The other leads to a concentration of power in the hands of the state, and a breeding ground for corruption. Government is better off being the watch dog than the culprit.

Unless we have a charity organization for furthering technology, I doubt we will ever get past those narrow two options. Not enough people believe in the power and benefit of giving money to research and develop new technology for people to freely get their hands on.

Neither system is perfect but I would rather have the private sector pushing the limits of technology, and government being the watchdog, than having government be both the researcher, developer, and watchdog. Too much concentration of power for my tastes.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Oh and given my personal experience with ipod stuff, you would be an utter fool to buy an ipod every time a new generation came out. It would be like buying a new car because you found out the new car has power seats. Sure, power seats technology has been out for years, but this new one just got it. Big deal.

I still have a 30 gig ipod classic which functions relatively the same as the 120gig ipod classic they are selling today. Mostly the same features. The big jump is from the ipod to the ipod touch/iphone.

They came out with a second generation itouch recently, you know what the difference was? A built in speaker, a volume control on the side, and a nike feature for running. All that tech has been out long before the ipod existed. It was added because of feedback from users, not because the tech wasn't available.

That is how a great deal of product in the next generations work. Being on the sales floor I hear customer objections and concerns, desires as well. I pass that info onto the panasonic rep, the apple rep, the sony rep, etc. etc, and that directly influences features in new tvs the put out, sale prices, etc. etc.

Just recently I had a sony rep ask me a bunch of questions taking notes about what was driving customers to buy what product and what customers wanted.

The new panasonic tv's have new features built in that were a direct result of sales people bringing it up repeatedly to reps in the company.

The problem with consumer electronics isn't that they trickle tech (though they definitely do sometimes), but that the majority of time, they need to know exactly what features are selling and what features aren't, because every added feature costs them money.

The itouch having a built in speaker and volume control on the side, that costs them money. Every little feature they add costs money, and in turn costs us money. In an effort to drive prices down they initially tend to sell the core product and slowly release added features as a matter of not running their product into the ground.

If they put in a dead weight feature that bumps the itouch up from 229.99 to 269.99, that will result in a big decrease in sales. That's bad for business.

As for computer processors, all I need to do is refer to AMD's phenom line to say "look what happens when you rush technology out too soon". A crap line of processors, and a great deal of wasted money, by both the company and the consumer. The company because they will feel the hit of a poor line of designed processors, and the consumer because they will have to upgrade from a poorly made processor.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Hi, I do have to agree with You as I don't think the only two choices are mega corporations, or all govt run.

Here's an article by Larry Flynt of Hustler. This was published in the Huffington Post, and talks about the mega rich, and mega corporations controlling govt. I think considering Mr. Flynt's corporation experience he has a clue. Tell me what You think after reading the article.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

The problem with your idea, which IS a good one (I am Australian so these ideas surface from time to time), is that the overall proven principles of economics still hold on the main true. To what degree do you take it?

Do you buy products only from yourselves when others can do it cheaper and better? WHat of that extra money you've spent on those essentials? Do you put it down to a contribution (I know most people here are against tax paying of any sort) to your local society?

Somehow, somewhere along the line, you're going to have to wake up to the reality that this crisis wasnt caused by not buying locally produced goods or services... it wasnt caused by buying cheaper goods and services from different countys, states or countries.... it was caused by an oversupply of housing, debt rules in the US that allow people to walk away from mortgages without recourse, the smart (evil? - no, they're just doing their job) people that think that by creating credit default swaps or collaterallised debt obligations they are doing their companies a profitable turn, by the governments that allowed the too big to fail, to fail in such a way that ALL of your country pays for it...

It comes down to one concept that may be foreign to a lot of Earthicans... Spend less than you earn.... then there wont be this issue to deal with...

Anyone wanna buy some locally grown hydroponic plums?

Dave

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

lol Leave the technology to the Germans and Japanese. They're better at it.

Americans should concentrate on surviving.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
In particular, any business that gets the Stimulus is clearly Illuminati controlled. So avoid it. Stop doing business with the major banks. Avoid major insurance companies. Walk away from them, send a message. Walk away from credit. Get rid of your credit card and stop paying on it. The contract is illegitimate. Stop paying on a car loan or mortgage. The company is in violation of the laws of the land.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
the best thing you can do is vote democrat

at every election

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

When you say "a second stimulus package", you do realize that the one we're on now is the second.... right. For some reason I seem to remember a 900 billion stimulus passed by dubya in 2008. So by figures, another one would actually be the third. (offically) Just sayin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join