It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Islam T-shirts Rile Fla. School

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Anti-Islam T-shirts Rile Fla. School

www.cbsnews.com

A lawyer for a north Florida school district says a handful of students have been sent home from Alachua County schools this week for wearing shirts that read "Islam is of the Devil."

The shirts are connected to a local church called the Dove World Outreach Center. Church Senior Pastor Terry Jones tells The Gainesville Sun that spreading the church's message is more important than education.

"The next kid might show up with a shirt saying 'Christianity is of the Devil,'" Wittmer told the
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hate is more important than education says the Church.

WOW!!

And guess what... look at it's website
It has a "Islam is of the devil" sign in front of the church too.

Why would the Church put up such a sign?

To expose Islam for what it is. It is a violent and oppressive religion that is trying to mascarade itself as a religion of peace, seeking to deceive our society.

What is the reason or message the Church wants to get out with a sign such as that?

The message of the truth that there is only one way to God, only one way to salvation, and that is through the blood of Jesus. Through the repenting of your sins and being born again. It is time that all Christians unite, stop being passive and selfish and stand up and fight for the truth.
www.doveworld.org...

Fanaticism is a disease of the mind regardless of which beliefs it belongs to!

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-8-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I was raised a christian, and still follow Jesus... but

there is only one way to God, only one way to salvation, and that is through the blood of Jesus. Through the repenting of your sins and being born again

that line makes me sick to my stomach everytime I hear it. Clueless morons.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
This comes up from time to time, last time I remember my old Alma Mater was having a Gay and Lesbian pro/con T-shirt issue. It was solved by enforcing the existing rule of "No Writing of any type" on the T-shirts worn. A lawsuit by the ACLU ensued, but I think it was all dropped once it was determined that the rule had existed for many years, and had been enforced before that particular issue arose!

I think all schools should adopt a similar policy, and there is no chance for applying unfair discipline to one side or the other of these hot issues!

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Honestly i could care less what the shirt says, as long as the message slams religion, I'll go for it. PS, where could i get the "Christianity is of the Devil" t-shirt?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nine0099thousand

there is only one way to God, only one way to salvation, and that is through the blood of Jesus. Through the repenting of your sins and being born again

that line makes me sick to my stomach every time I hear it. Clueless morons.

If you're not deluded by the poetic imagery in that passage, it has nothing to do with being "born again" in the ritual confession and rebaptism or whatever, but refers to the awakening of the mind.

The only way to god or salvation or inner peace or enlightenment, nirvana, whatever you call it, is through the "blood" if Jesus. That's the same as saying through the mind of Buddha, same thing, through your actions, make the life that flows through your veins like that of the righteous or enlightened man and you shall have the opportunity to walk that path. It's like saying "Walk a mike in Jesus's sandals", you'll see what Jesus saw. And as for repenting and being born again, that refers to your realization of your past errors due to ignorance, and being born again is "seeing the light" and realizing what it is that you've done "wrong" out of your past ignorance and admitting to yourself that you recognize it as wrong. Being born again is the self-forgiveness lifting the weight of your "sin" from your self and turning your shame or guilt into experience, knowledge, and wisdom.

SO MANY people get so caught up in the poetic language that they take it as literal. It's all a metaphor, there's no direct words that will make you enlightened, it's what you come away with after pondering the metaphors and applying them to the situations you encounter in life.

The book, ANY book, Bible, Torah, Quran, the Vedas, the Sutras, the Zen riddles, all of it, it's merely a guide to how to think of and form the types of questions to ask oneself with a receptive mind so that you can learn to walk the path. No book has the "magic words". I love the Quran because it's so direct and to the point, and it's language is powerfully inspiring. Besides being poetry, the PARABLES contained therein have a LOT of knowledge contained.

If you learn how to incorporate lessons from "The Art of War" into your daily life effectively, able to recognize the parallels between your worldly actions and the PARABLES and METAPHORS, you'll be able to read the other texts in the same way and apply the metaphoric meaning behind the poetic words to guide your actions.

And,,,

"spreading the message of the church is more important than education" is one of the absolute dumbest things i've herad anybody say with a straight face in a LONG time. What an idiot!

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is a perfect example of why so many dislike organized religion. Teaching hate, being judgmental, believing they are righteous. Woohoo, what a great group to be associated with.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nine0099thousand

that line makes me sick to my stomach everytime I hear it. Clueless morons.

ROFL!

You say that you follow Jesus and yet you claim to be "sick to your stomach" with his words ? Do you see the hypocrisy ?

Why dont you stop pretending to be a Christian when you dont have the necessary faith. You cant pick and choose what to believe in the Bible and call yourself a Christian at the same time. Christianity is a monotheistic religion; which means there is just one God and Jesus is his son and the messiah for humanity.

Unlike Islam Christianity no longer wages "holy wars" but neither do we accept demonic doctrine as a way to God. Jesus is the only way to a Christian. If you dont agree, you better stop pretending to be a Christian and do yourself and Christianity a favor.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Hate is more important than education says the Church.

WOW!!

And guess what... look at it's website
It has a "Islam is of the devil" sign in front of the church too.

Fanaticism is a disease of the mind regardless of which beliefs it belongs to!

I find this whole thread to be ridiculous.

Why is there so much fuss about some T-shirt in Florida when you have Islamists openly railing against Christianity and teaching hate and committing acts of violence based on their hatred for Jews and Christians and others on a daily basis ?

To open a thread to point out something so mundane when there are massive barbaric acts of fanaticism going on around the Middle East and other parts of the world is ludicrous and hypocritical. It is also projects the OP's bias to some extent against Christianity.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

I see you like to preach the fanaticism of Christianity to all of us unwashed masses. Please enlighten us more...actually don't, just drop it.

I am starting to lose my mind on this site. You have people, such as the above, yelling and screaming at the top of their internet lungs about how Islam is full of fanatics and lunatics, only turn around and berate someone for not being a good enough Christian. Does the hypocrisy on this site never end? Seriously pick an argument and stick with it. This whole everyone is wrong but me attitude we have going is rotten.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101

It is also projects the OP's bias to some extent against Christianity.

It's kind of ironic you find this thread ridiculous and then you say this, when you have that I love Israel sig haha. And your avatar says Confess hate lmao.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

It is also projects the OP's bias to some extent against Christianity.

It's kind of ironic you find this thread ridiculous and then you say this, when you have that I love Israel sig haha. And your avatar says Confess hate lmao.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by _Phoenix_]

How are any of my statements contradictory ? The thread is ridiculous for making a big deal out of something so innocuous and in doing so projects a bias against Christianity.

And Israel is a country, not a religion! Confessing Hate is better than Denying Hate because it is human to Hate; only by confessing your hate can you gain mastery it. Denial only leads to delusion !

[edit on 26-8-2009 by IAF101]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rook1545
reply to post by IAF101

I see you like to preach the fanaticism of Christianity to all of us unwashed masses. Please enlighten us more...actually don't, just drop it.

How is pointing out the hypocrisy in an argument "preaching" ? It is obvious to all that in a monotheistic faith, you have one God and one doctrine. You either believe it or you dont. You can't claim to be a follower and not believe its central tenet.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

You say that you follow Jesus and yet you claim to be "sick to your stomach" with his words ? Do you see the hypocrisy ?

I know you weren't talking to me but I don't see the hypocrisy
He's not talking about his distaste for the bible but christian extremists if you will.

Unlike Islam Christianity no longer wages "holy wars" but neither do we accept demonic doctrine as a way to God.

Oh but here however I do see YOUR hypocrisy!
You seem to see the 'people' as the religion as opposed to the given holy book.
Islam doesn't wage holy wars, extremists do.

If you still think so then is Blackwater's Erik Prince a good representation of christianity?
Christianity is about crusading?

Jesus is the only way to a Christian. If you dont agree, you better stop pretending to be a Christian and do yourself and Christianity a favor.

Ummm...
I think it's you who needs to do christianity a favor and stop condemning people who believe in free thought.

Why is there so much fuss about some T-shirt in Florida when you have Islamists openly railing against Christianity and teaching hate and committing acts of violence based on their hatred for Jews and Christians and others on a daily basis ?

Tell me, what is YOUR opinion on the t-shirt
Not how people are responding to it
But what's your opinion on it and kids wearing it to school?

To open a thread to point out something so mundane when there are massive barbaric acts of fanaticism going on around the Middle East and other parts of the world is ludicrous and hypocritical. It is also projects the OP's bias to some extent against Christianity.

Really... it does?
Even when in my opening post I say fananiticism is a disease of the mind REGARDLESS of which belief it belongs to?

Really?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Thanks, I was going to reply pointing it out, but you did a better job.

Fanatics FTL

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I know you weren't talking to me but I don't see the hypocrisy
He's not talking about his distaste for the bible but christian extremists if you will.

You obviously dont know what you are talking about. He is not talking about extremists but about doctrine.
The bible clearly states that the only path to god is through Jesus. There are numerous verses about it. So, if you are "sick to you stomach" about it then one is not a christian.

Oh but here however I do see YOUR hypocrisy!
You seem to see the 'people' as the religion as opposed to the given holy book.
Islam doesn't wage holy wars, extremists do.

ROFL!
That is ridiculously obtuse distinction and merely an argument based on semantics.

Religion is about people's faith not books! Do you think the books -Quran or the Bible would come to life and start fighting each other!
Some people like Gothe's Faust and some like Kafka's The Metamorphosis, that doesnt imply two different religions! The book merely conveys the doctrine while the people follow the doctrine! The Quran definitely talks about Jihad. There is no denying that. And there are lots of muslims who believe in violent jihad and quite a few who practice it as well.

If you still think so then is Blackwater's Erik Prince a good representation of christianity?
Christianity is about crusading?

Again this argument is utterly obtuse. Maybe deliberately so!

Erik Prince is not working for Christianity nor is he doing what he does for the sake of Christianity. He is running a business and his motive- as he will himself profess is- profit.
Where as Osama Bin Laden is working for Islam and as he and thousands of his followers will attest, his motive is the furtherance of Islam and Islamic doctrine.
That is the BIG and Obvious difference!

Ummm...
I think it's you who needs to do christianity a favor and stop condemning people who believe in free thought.

You are totally and completely ignorant about Christianity while you try to talk about "free thought" and Christianity together! Free thought or Freedom of Expression or whatever you like to call it is a personal choice that is completely different from religion and faith. Having an opinion and believing in scripture are two completely different things. You believe in scripture because you have faith, not because it provides you with a convincing argument.

You need to do yourself a favor and stop pretending to talk as if you know the first thing about Christianity. To Christians, Jesus is the only way to God. So it is written in the Bible and so it is taught to all Christians. Those that dont believe this to be true, are not Christians. Its as simple as that.
Please educate yourself about this simple truth of Christianity.

Tell me, what is YOUR opinion on the t-shirt
Not how people are responding to it
But what's your opinion on it and kids wearing it to school?

I already have. I believe it to be totally innocuous, not worthy of so much fuss when much more serious crimes are being done by Islamists are blowing people up due to their hatred for Jews and Christians and others in the name of Islam.

Really... it does?
Even when in my opening post I say fananiticism is a disease of the mind REGARDLESS of which belief it belongs to?

Really?

Yes, because having a message on a T-shirt is hardly the equivalent to committing mass murder!

You are trying to equate the actions of the a few students in Florida to the actions of Islamists blowing up dozens of people by calling them both "fanaticism".

In America, Freedom of Expression and freedom or Religion guarantee the right of these children to wear these t-shirts in public if they want to, however distasteful it may be to others. Where as, blowing people up by the dozen is not a right guaranteed in any country in this planet.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by IAF101]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well there are two types of islamist :
if you wanna stop the ones that i mean, then hardly you will stop them with those t-shirts: try this: the result is NOT waranteed, but i've customed it for them anyway...

Are the kids happy now?
People keep hating and spreading hate towards islam and trying to rehash something that already costed too many human lives on BOTH SIDES. Instead of just blaming those BASTARDS who made 9/11 or catching them, they condemn a whole culture, existing since no one knows since, but of course before their one ever born, right?. (i'im not islamist btw). Stop trying to raise the level of the issue, it's already a serious issue, especially because we have actually REAL soldiers still there: coming from your and mine countries: in cases like this one, to shut up is a good solution, the only good alternative would be to offer a possible solution. How about some PEACE?

ModernAcademia, of course i'm not referring to you.

[edit on 26/8/2009 by internos]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
how can you say for sure that islam isnt of the devil? im not saying it is, but its jsut as liekly to be than not.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

This is not hate. Get a life and quit spreading crap like this. Just because they believe Islam to be what it is you think they are spreading hate. Whateva!!!
Think about it for a sec, Islam is the most violent religion known today. It is a very barbaric religion that teaches that their members can't go to their heaven unless they die fighting for their religion.
Spreading truth is not hatred, gety the facts straight.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice

This is not hate. Get a life and quit spreading crap like this. Just because they believe Islam to be what it is you think they are spreading hate. Whateva!!!
Think about it for a sec, Islam is the most violent religion known today. It is a very barbaric religion that teaches that their members can't go to their heaven unless they die fighting for their religion.
Spreading truth is not hatred, gety the facts straight.

Actually...Christianity, or members of that faith are the most violent religious people of today. There are far more Christian serving in militaries around the world than there is Muslims.

Although I wouldn't expect someone using the name "Christian Voice" to objective on this subject. I suspect you have no idea about the Muslim faith outside of the same old rehashed rhetoric that gets tossed around here on a daily basis.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join