It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Romneycare the answer to Healthcare reform?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I supported Romney during the campaign and I think he's right on this one.

The healthcare system doesn't need fundamental reform, just a little work. The Democrats want to turn Medicare into a massive insurance company in order to slow the growth of Medicare by rationing healthcare services.

Romney is right when it says we already pay the healthcare costs of the uninsured. If you make health insurance manditory, then there's no free lunch.

You don't need a public option.

You make healthcare manditory and allow consumers to buy insurance across state lines. You then subsidize people below or near the poverty line.

Hears some highlights of Romneycare:

If Washington wants health care reform with bipartisan support, experts say consider what former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney accomplished as governor in Democratic Massachusetts.

"You don't have to have a public option," Romney said. "You don't have to have the government getting into the insurance business to make it work."

Three years after enacting its own version of reform, Massachusetts now has near-universal coverage.

Taxpayer watchdogs say it's affordable.

"There is this widespread assumption, that is treated as fact, that it's breaking the bank in Massachusetts ... it's not breaking the bank at all." said Michael Widmer of Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation.

And health care experts say it's popular.

"Seven in 10 people in the state support the program, and no more than one in 10 would repeal it." said Robert Blendon with the Harvard University School of Public Health.

Here's some things they are adding:

Minimum benefits, such as preventive care, mental health care and hospitalization

A ban on gender discrimination

Limits on total out-of-pocket costs

A prohibition on pre-existing conditions as a qualifier for health coverage

No medical underwriting, so insurers can't ask an individual about his or her health status in order to determine coverage

Limits on age restrictions, which means what is charged for an older individual cannot be more than double what is charged the youngest.

www.cnn.com...

This works because the insurance pool will increase and insurance companies will drop things like pre-existing conditions to get more customers enrolled.

Before Romneycare 460,000 people were uninsured and over 300,000 of them are insured now.

Again, you have to realize that taxpayers will pay for the uninsured. If they have insurance it saves the taxpayer money.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I supported Romney last year too, but, from what I've heard, the Massachusetts healthcare system thing isn't doing too well. I heard one example on the radio where, a woman needed to get a physical for her son, so he could play sports at school. The doctor said that she'd have to wait for something like two months in order to get it. The reason was because, due to the new Massachusetts universal healthcare, there were people going to the doctor now for every single little thing that was wrong with them, even if it was something very minor. The woman had to take her son to a neighboring state to get the physical.

Granted, that may not be Romney's fault, but the doing of the government that came in after he'd left office.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
I supported Romney last year too, but, from what I've heard, the Massachusetts healthcare system thing isn't doing too well. I heard one example on the radio where, a woman needed to get a physical for her son, so he could play sports at school. The doctor said that she'd have to wait for something like two months in order to get it. The reason was because, due to the new Massachusetts universal healthcare, there were people going to the doctor now for every single little thing that was wrong with them, even if it was something very minor. The woman had to take her son to a neighboring state to get the physical.

Granted, that may not be Romney's fault, but the doing of the government that came in after he'd left office.

I don't think that's a problem.

I called my Dr. last month to make an appointment for a check-up and she was booked up for the month of August and now I'm going in September.

This happened in Ohio.

Also:

And health care experts say it's popular.

"Seven in 10 people in the state support the program, and no more than one in 10 would repeal it." said Robert Blendon with the Harvard University School of Public Health.

If healthcare insurance is not mandatory then the taxpayer is going to pay the bill. Under Romneycare, there's no free lunch. Subsidizing people below or near the poverty line is fine but you have a lot of people that can afford healthcare that don't have it. When they get sick, the taxpayer pays.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Why can't we just make healthcare free and say to hell with the insurance companies?

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

Why can't we just make healthcare free and say to hell with the insurance companies?

It's not possible. The doctors have to be able to survive. Throwing costs out the window won't do it. They wouldn't be able to buy medicines, equipment, or anything. Even if we made everything in the medical field free, it still wouldn't last because, they need to buy the medals and plastics for the syringes, somehow the lumber would have to be paid for for the tongue depressors and those paper rolls. And this could go on and on and on.

In order to make medicine truly free, everything else in the world would have to be free...which simply isn't going to happen.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by octotom

Or you've just been brainwashed to believe that we need a monitary system.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by The Killah29

Healthcare is free and there is no money.

Now entice me to go to med school and become a doctor.

Come to think of it, entice somebody to start a med school a whole mess of people to staff it. Maybe some people to build it.

Just curious as to how that would work. Well, how it would work besides the two ways I know it would work being, magic universal altruism among humans or forced authoritarian coercion.

And yes, the Romneycare in Mass is causing all sorts of problems. I get Boston news nightly and it's quite a debacle from what they report.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
But of course since the majority of election funding comes from trial attorneys, Tort reform is ignored as if the words were never spoken. So now ask yourself a question. Do you honestly think the Government has our best interests in mind? This is all about CONTROL.. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE...

We have listened to the comments by our so called representatives, and it is abundantly clear that they are not interested in what the American people have to say. They seem to know better than we do about our own lives.This is beyond narcissistic and arrogant. There are many solutions to this health care debacle, some of which the elected officials refuse to acknowledge. TORT REFORM and buying across state lines. PROBLEM FIXED......jrc

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Killah29
reply to post by octotom

Or you've just been brainwashed to believe that we need a monitary system.

If I may ask, what do you do for a living....if you don't work I can see why you think this way.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by octotom

The woman had to take her son to a neighboring state to get the physical.

Fortunately for Mass. residents, that is not a problem. NH, NY, VT, RI, an CT border it.

She could take her son to NH for a morning physical and be back home to eat lunch.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

I am currently in between jobs because my last boss was an idiot. That's all I'll say.

new topics

top topics

join